1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The RTX 2080Ti Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Netherwind, Aug 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti SLi
    Could well be memory controller related, although the artifacts that are shown don't really look like your typical artifacts, more like some sort of debug artifacts.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    BangTail likes this.
  2. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080ti MSI X TRIO
    1809 is back. Hopefully ray tracing and more importantly dlss is coming soon.

3. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2080 Ti OC
    Yeap. BF V RTX patch coming today.

4. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    I'm really hoping we get some kind of definitive answer on this, and soon.

I'm happy my cards are ok but there is a part of me that is a little worried that there is a possibility, however small, that they might still go wrong.

@Geryboy

I was already on it from when it first deployed - run 'winver', maybe you already have it.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    anxious_f0x and Geryboy like this.

5. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Why do you keep defending these cards ,there video cards a tool for fun,anyway EVGA cards fail in spectacular fashion
    https://hardforum.com/threads/evga-2080-ti-xc-burst-into-flame.1971627/

Just added one image and no I did not cherry pick the image.
    [​IMG]

6. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    I wasn't defending anything, I was simply stating a fact, there are comparatively few reports of EVGA 20xx cards going wrong, when you can show me evidence to the contrary, I'll be happy to look at it.

What you have shown me is one EVGA card that was damaged, what does that prove exactly, that every EVGA card is bad?

By those standards every launch of every GPU ever made was a complete failure :rolleyes:

Do you seriously believe that if EVGA (or any other company) knew that their cards were likely to start fires inside people's cases that the cards wouldn't be instantly recalled.

That is not something you take a 'wait and see' attitude with, if someone were to lose their life as a result of EVGA's negligence, that's the end of EVGA and there could even be criminal charges if it was later revealed that prior knowledge of the defect had been swept under the rug.

Did you even read that, doesn't sound like I am sold on the fact that there isn't a potential for problems, does it.

Hardware goes wrong, if these cards go wrong on me, I'll be annoyed, I'll get an RMA and I'll move on, it won't be the first time and I'll wager, it won't be the last.

I just got through RMAing a Logitech G903 that quit on me after less than 2 months. Logitech immediately replaced it with a new one, no fuss, nothing to lose any sleep over.

It seems to me that the people who are most interested in parroting the supposed failure of these cards are people who don't own them and/or people who support competing brands, which is rather telling, don't you think ;)

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    tensai28 likes this.
  7. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    NVidia have admitted a QC screw up with sub quality component(s).
    But its open ended, no word on what/which.
    Plenty of speculation it is due to memory issues, and with some foundation.

BangTail likes this.
  8. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Yah, the admission is a good first step (not that we didn't know there were some issues) but exact details are more desirable at this point.

9. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    At a certain number of failures they have no choice but to admit something went wrong. No big magic here fellow gurus :)
    But it's pretty embarrassing that the FE cards are more expansive than AIB partner models, which probably have less failures. Another hint at a "rushed" product release.
    That said, I hope all fellow gurus that suffer from such issues get kick ass overclocking replacement cards!

10. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC

11. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 STRIX OC
  12. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    Using SLI (Short Life Interrupter) so they can put each other out, it could work!

13. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    Put waterblocks on them and rig to explode the liquid contents in the event of fire. :rolleyes:

14. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    Since EVGA just declined my stepup (I don't understand why they offer it to me just to decline it...) I'll just sit back and not have to worry about my 1080Ti. Best of luck to all the folks on 2080Ti's that are losing sleep right now.

15. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Nah too busy playing :)

16. SSJBillClinton

SSJBillClinton Master Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti Zotac AMP!
    Hey weird one, artifacting from my previous card carried over to my new one. Reinstalled Windows 10 (this was after the October update) and everything is back to normal.

Very weird. Saved myself £100 tho.

Edit:
    Actually, I think this is something else entirely. Artifacting when discord is open, artifacting when watching videos back in either MPC-HC or MPC-BE.

Windows 10 Pro with October update (100% fresh install), latest Nvidia drivers, 2 monitors, 2560x1440 144Hz with Gsync on, 1920x1080 60Hz.

Does anyone else have a similar setup they can check? Turning off GPU acceleration on Discord seems to have fixed the artifacting there. Issue does not persist if I turn off second monitor, and seems to be related to low power clocks as I notice it flickers most while changing from 405 mem to 7000, and 300 core to 450~ish.

Plugged in my old 1080Ti again today which exhibited none of these problems.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    BangTail likes this.
  17. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Good video on the ongoing 2080 Ti failure discussion.

And I have to say, Steve Burke is one of the very few youtubers worth listening to.

He backs every assertion with research, testing and hard facts; just plain excellence.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
  18. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080Ti SLI
    Well, I rma'd my dodgy 2080Ti and so far im impressed by nvidias response. They are advance shipping the replacement before they recieve the dodgy card which is a nice touch so it should be here in the next couple of days. Shipping is also pre-paid - which should be expected these days I guess, but ive come across a number of online retailers that still insist you pay for the return.

19. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Well that is great service by Nvidia. Impressive.

BangTail likes this.
  20. snight01

snight01 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    smh..

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.