1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The RTX 2080Ti Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Netherwind, Aug 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    No, just reality.

I'm just relaying my experience, if the cards go wrong, I'll relay that experience.

And I think you're wrong tbh, if the problem was as large as some would have us believe, Nvidia would have no choice but to acknowledge it.

I think there are issues, as I have said many times before, I'm just not sure (because there is no actual verifiable evidence) how many cards are affected out of those sold.

And sure, my cards could all die tomorrow and if they do, I'll RMA them, which will be a PITA but nothing more as EVGA cross ships RMAs which is one of the reasons I buy their cards.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  2. ragtag

ragtag Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 980 SLI
    Yeah, it's the Gaming pro model i received. I have contacted the retailer and waiting for RMA. Unfortunatly there are no replacements here in Norway. It's sold out everywhere.

3. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti SLi
    The 1080Ti didn’t have the same kind of hate train behind it to propel such things so widely, even the smallest of problems can be made into some huge click bait story with enough people on the bandwagon.

I’m not saying there aren’t failures, but I do think it’s been blown out of proportion by a large amount of people who just want the card to fail.

BangTail and Geryboy like this.
  4. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    No the 1080ti didnt have a 'hate train' like RTX, but it also didnt have as many faulty or dead cards reported this early in its release either. These are not random failures but more focused on the 2080ti FE's which is a huge embarrassment for Nvidia. They've passed off the FE's as the ultimate in GPU design, superior to all non-FE's in quality of engineering and performance (not to mention the highest priced gaming card ever). So I kind of understand them not wanting to admit to flubbing their flagship release in such an embarrassing manner. I'm not suggesting theres anything faulty with the 2080ti's as a whole, AIB cards seem to be doing just fine.

5. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti SLi
    You’d probably have to look back further back than the 1080Ti to really get an idea of what the failure rates for Pascal were, the 1080Ti wasn’t really new when it launched with it basically being a Titan XP with less VRAM.

You’re right though, there does seem to be a possible flaw in the design of the FE cards, whether it be the stock cooling or just a bad batch of components, it doesn’t look good for a card that’s marketed as best in class.

I was pretty disappointed when one of my Titan XP’s died after nearly two years, but these things happen.

BangTail and GREGIX like this.
  6. Caesar

Caesar Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti Titanium
    from rockpapershotgun.com

7. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    The card has been available for a month. You can't reasonably expect the millions of steam users to all upgrade at once as soon as a new piece of hardware is released

Maddness likes this.
  8. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2080 Ti OC
    That's the reason we're not getting a new ''Crysis''.

9. snight01

snight01 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    its working great

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    anxious_f0x likes this.
  10. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti SLi
    I’d say those are fairly reasonable temps while idle, fans probably won’t even be running with the default fan curve.

11. snight01

snight01 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    edit

Geryboy likes this.
  12. Archvile82

Archvile82 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 2080ti FE
    My 2080ti FE cards working well so far and I received mine on 5th Oct. Still, i feel like I'm treading on egg shells with all this failure talk.

I wonder if it's slightly over blown reaction???

BangTail likes this.
  13. RainyMirror

RainyMirror Member

GPU:
    PNY 2080Ti XLR8
    My guess is that any problem should manifest during the first week of regular use.
    Mine should be here before wednesday, and I'm so scared to see artifacts :eek:
    RMA'ing from my country is an awful ordeal, and it takes ages, that part is what I fear the most about a failure.

14. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I still haven't heard anything from Nvidia about my RMA on my founders edition. It's been 2 weeks now. I talked to support last week and they said it's in process. I'm hoping they are out of stock and I'll get a new batch

15. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080ti MSI X TRIO
    It is. Blown out of proportion by the same people who are complaining that the price is too high for the best card on the market. :rolleyes:

Geryboy and BangTail like this.

16. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    If You wanna Play with it just Under.Clock (De-OC) gDDR6
    And it will sustain operational Temps on vRAM.

BangTail likes this.
  17. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Yah this whole incident has cemented something that I already knew, don't listen to youtube 'experts'.

While some of them are fairly objective, there are many with an extreme and very obvious bias against anything Intel or Nvidia.

Again, I'm not saying there aren't problems, there quite obviously are, but I have strong reservations regarding how widespread they are.

tensai28, Geryboy and anxious_f0x like this.
  18. snight01

snight01 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    edit

nvm

19. RainyMirror

RainyMirror Member

GPU:
    PNY 2080Ti XLR8
    I was just about to jump into the shower, and the UPS guy decided to show up with my card.
    It's the PNY RTX 2080 Ti XLR8.
    It's a hot day today, and the box was hot to the touch.
    I opened it, and the card was bent.
    It weights nothing, so it's no surprise it could bend with some heat.
    I installed it, and it runs fine, but the bend is big.
    I'm sad, and tired. I'm going to keep a 1080Ti in standby.
    Here's a picture of the bent card. :(
    [​IMG]

fantaskarsef likes this.
  20. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    Send it back now.
    If there are any other issues needing warranty they will refuse saying you already damaged/bent it.

BangTail likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.