The RTX 2080Ti Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Netherwind, Aug 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Load temperature seems to be sit around 74 - 76 degrees from benchmarks but this is tested under a controlled and cool environment, GPU itself should be fine up to 90 - 95 degrees though throttling and gradual boost speed drops will probably occur earlier. Afterburner and modifying voltage and core clock curve could be a way but assuming you have a higher ambient temp you seem pretty much on par with the temps for that GPU.

1080Ti is also a fair step above a 1080 and a 2080Ti is above that so it's going to contribute to heat as well with the additional hardware and higher speeds. :)
    I'd say it looks fine from all the benchmarks I'm seeing of various 2080Ti reviews sitting around ~75 degrees and factoring in a higher temp in a air cooled environment against a test bench under controlled and ideal conditions including a lower overall ambient temperature.

EDIT: Idle varies heavily though but then again a lot of these seem tested against the 400.11 drivers using a higher clock speed for memory was it? Compared to 400.70 where it's fixed.
    (So range of 40 degrees at the lowest up to 65 degrees idle but that's probably solely from that little issue it's hitting that high for some tests.)

EDIT: Guru3D itself should have a good amount 2080Ti reviews too without going to other sites to compare, I do not know what the G3D test bench setup looks like though or the ambient air temp but with that hardware it's going to take some good airflow or water cooling to get it under 70 degrees if that's your aim.

EDIT: And a quick search later 83 degrees is where the Pascal GPU's seem to throttle at and won't engage boost. It can handle higher but that's the limit for the boost clocks it seems.

Hmm guess the 2080 and 2080Ti should be around the same then, so 75 - 80 gives some room for boost until it peaks and starts trying to reduce temperature.

Lower is nice of course but if none of the reviews are managing it then that's not going to be easy.
    Well none of the ones I've been checking at least, but not all of them specify overall temps and such plus open air bench against a closed case and so on.
    (Though with most hitting 74 - 76 some degrees Celsius and then up to 80 after additional overclocking the load temps aren't showing that much variance anyway.)

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  2. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Your fan should not have to be at 100% to maintain temps below 70°C and is possible the thermal paste was not applied as it should have been.
    Have you gone to the official forum for your video card to see if others are having similar issues?

3. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Yah, I would have to agree, 80C with 100% fan does not sound right at all, especially given your previous temps with the 1080 Ti which would indicate that your ventilation is adequate (at the very least).

4. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080ti MSI X TRIO
    Yeah, they all will eventually after the bios updates hit.

5. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080ti MSI X TRIO
    Gained about 4fps at 4k with just a light overclock so I wouldn't personally call that pointless. It's free performance. I have the msi trio which comes with the highest clock speed out of the box so that's why I'm not too concerned with overclocking at the moment since my card is already overclocked at stock. Right now it's giving me the exact performance I want at stock so I'm holding off until the new bios comes out with the increased power target and then going to give overclocking another go.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
    pharma likes this.
  6. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080ti MSI X TRIO
    Here's the superposition results after running my light oc with the custom fan profile. Notice the minimum and max temps. If you guys don't want to oc and just want better temps, just adjust your fan profile. Mine was kind of aggressive because it was from my 1080ti and trying to keep it from throttling at 2ghz.
    [​IMG]

Also here is the fan profile I am using. Results would differ obviously depending on which 2080ti you got.
    [​IMG]

BangTail, pharma and fantaskarsef like this.
  7. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    Sorry to hear that buddy, you've been without GPU for so long and now you got a bad card.

Agreed that idle temps should be low and fans shouldn't even have to spin, just like on the 1080Ti. Ok, the 2080Ti is a beast, but idle is still idle.

XenthorX likes this.
  8. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    From Nvidia forums

Tim@NVIDIA said:We have updated the thread. Please find the latest below.
    Update 10/2

Today we began shipping GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Founders Edition to those who pre-ordered from NVIDIA.com and had an original ship date in September. These will all ship by October 5th.

GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Founders Edition pre-orders on NVIDIA.com with an original ship date in October will ship by October 10, 2018.

You will receive an email with tracking details once your order has shipped. You can also click here to see if your order has shipped.

If you have additional questions, please contact Customer Service via our online form here or call 1-800-797-6530.

Our supply chain challenges are resolved, and we will have cards in your hands as soon as possible. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this delay has caused you. We aim to deliver a great customer experience, and we recognize this has been a disappointment.

pharma and BangTail like this.
  9. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Are you running a multi-monitor setup? Turing seems to consume a lot of power on idle, especially multi-monitor (58W for a 2080 Ti).

https://www.techpowerup.com/247985/...consumption-tested-better-but-not-good-enough

XenthorX likes this.
  10. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Gaming X Trio

11. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    I would seriously consider removing the heatsink and reseating it with a repaste, and check the pads.

12. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Can you perhaps try attaching the second monitor to your iGPU?

13. Jericho2013

Jericho2013 Active Member

GPU:
    2 x 2080 Ti in SLI
    Both of my 2080 Ti cards show shipped and are supposed to be delivered on Friday from Nvidia according to Fedex so we will see. I have had the NvLink adapter for quite a while now.

XenthorX, pharma and BangTail like this.
  14. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Vision OC 24GB
    Got mine today purchased in a store. Had to settle for the palit 2080ti oc, only one I can find anywhere in stock.

XenthorX and pharma like this.
  15. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Call me crazy but I just started playing GTA V again @ 1080p, max settings, with 8xMSAA. The reflections on the cars and wet roads look just as good as the RTX demos. I know the synthetic benchmarks look amazing, but it's still very odd that there have been no in-game ray-tracing benchmarks. Just saying..

Solfaur likes this.

16. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    They can't do any in-game Ray Tracing yet. Neither Microsoft or Vulkan have released the software for it to work. Everything you have seen so far is either alpha or beta implemented.

17. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080ti MSI X TRIO
    After looking at my overclock, I'm definetly power limited. It's a shame I don't see any talk about msi coming out with a bios update. Just gigabyte and evga.

I'm getting pretty great results after using the voltage curve on the core however memory isn't overclocking well at all. I only can get it up to +200mhz stable. The core however I have it running past 2ghz. I see gpuz saying my card is power limited despite having my target maxed. Wonder how much better it would get after the bios finally comes out.

My advice to everyone with this card would be to stay away from the traditional slider. It's even worse than pascal and I hardly could get it stable at +40mhz. With the curve I get +84mhz.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  18. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Cards are only just going out now. So you never know, MSI could well release an updated bios for your card.

19. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080ti MSI X TRIO
    Once again, I don't have a clue why you keep saying that. Unless you consider a ~4FPS or more increase at 4k to be pointless. I personally don't think so. It doesn't cost anything to do it. Keep in mind the msi 2080ti trio already is overclocked. Other lower clocked cards might get more out of overclocking.
    It will only get better after the new bioses are available for everyone.

20. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    I'm waiting on some watercooled (real loop) reviews of some cards, since I never reach 55°C on my 1080TI with a custom loop.
    Overclock will probably be a h2o thing, but not sure.

21. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080ti MSI X TRIO
    I don't need to...I already own one and had one since the 27th so I've had plenty of time to experement with overclocking. Yes, the memory doesn't go much and it is power limited. I've already said that in my previous comments. Even with those restrictions, you still can get about an extra 4-5fps (or more) with overclocking now and as soon as the new bios are available, most likely can do even better. So once again, not completely pointless (it's still free performance); just not as good for now.
    That's the point I was trying to argue.

pharma likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.