The RTX 2080Ti Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Netherwind, Aug 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    I know some of you, like me, are on the fence about SLI and I have definitely changed my mind multiple times while waiting for these damn cards to ship but this made for some interesting reading:

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_RTX_2080_Ti_SLI_RTX_2080_SLI_NVLink/9.html

In the final analysis, I'm going single card (especially after reading that), if SLI support actually improves (as Nvidia always promises it will around product launches :rolleyes: ), I'll throw another card in later.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  2. RainyMirror

RainyMirror Member

GPU:
    PNY 2080Ti XLR8
    for me, the 2080Ti is the equivalent of the 1080, in terms of "model". So I'll stay single carded. Then I'll buy the "2080TiTi" when it comes out soon.
    I don't believe for a second we won't get a better consumer single card in the next 4-6 months.

3. RainyMirror

RainyMirror Member

GPU:
    PNY 2080Ti XLR8
    I'm just saying that a "XX80Ti" version has never been released at the same time with the "XX80", so maybe in 6 months some equivalent to a "XX80Ti" will get announced.
    It's all been illogical, rushed, etc., with this generation, so who can say that something like that can't happen?

4. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti SLi
    I’m on the fence about whether to go SLi or not as well to be honest, only thing that concerns me is potentially losing performance vs my Titan XP’s in games where SLi was working well.

BangTail likes this.

5. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    Feels like the dust has settled around this card. It's not in stock anywhere and people are probably fed up waiting?

6. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    It's always nice to have that performance when SLI works :D

In my case, many of the games I play do not support it and I also do a lot of simulation in VR where SLI is next to useless.

I am going to try the single GPU path, it will be the first time since I owned 3Dfx cards to give you an idea of how long I have been using it.

I don't denigrate it, as when it works, it is the apex of PC gaming performance, but it introduces problems that I just don't want to deal with anymore and with a single card finally able to do 4K/60FPS, I feel now is the right time.

Those two empty slots are going to look strange (but I'll just fill them with an SSD or whatever) but quite a few people I know have made the jump and say they are happier for it and none of them have ever gone back so we'll see what happens.

After reading that article and seeing the lack of support (which we are all aware of) and some of the horrible scaling in titles that are 'supported', I just can't justify another $1200.00 for the excellent scaling present in a few AAA titles.

It all comes down to what you play; if what you play is mostly SLI supported AAA titles and you want to go above 4K/60Hz, as the article said, it's your only option.

I don't fit into that bracket, so at this point, it's not the direction I'm going to take (and if I decide I don't like single GPU, a second card is just a few clicks away :D )

JM2C

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    anxious_f0x likes this.
  7. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080ti MSI X TRIO
    Not much need for sli if you are just doing 4k 60fps and vr. Maxing out practically everything right now at 4k 60fps so far and vr performance went through the roof. I can't believe I am using 250% to 300% ss on all my vr titles. Makes everything a lot clearer on the vive.

Maddness and BangTail like this.
  8. Jericho2013

Jericho2013 Active Member

GPU:
    2 x 2080 Ti in SLI
    Both of my FE 2080 Ti's show processing 1 - 2 days and "Boxed Shipment". My most recent email stated will ship by 10/5.

pharma likes this.
  9. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti SLi
    That’s fair enough, I’m in a position where I’ll only be paying around £750 if I went with two as the refund on the Titan X’s will cover the rest.

I might just go single card for now and see how it holds up, can always add a second later if performance isn’t where I want it :)

BangTail likes this.
  10. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    Finally decided I'll pass on the 2080 Ti and wait for 7nm+ generation in late 2019 to early 2020.

11. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Gaming X Trio
    Received my Gigabyte Windforce today and... i'm already convinced that i will return it. the card is running at 50/51°C on idle and i have to force fans to almost 100% to prevent reaching 80%C while playing BF1...

My 1080 was at 32°C on idle, same case, same everything

fantaskarsef and pharma like this.
  12. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Ouch, Gigabyte is a brand I avoid like the plague.

Sorry to hear that bud :(

XenthorX likes this.
  13. RainyMirror

RainyMirror Member

GPU:
    PNY 2080Ti XLR8
    There were some zotac and gigabyte 2080Ti's available locally, but I pass on those brands, even more if it's their first batch.

14. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    I've had positive results with Zotac in the past.

My problems with Gigabyte have not been with GPUs, it has all been motherboard related, but they are not a brand that I gravitate towards in general.

EVGA is my go to brand.

15. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080ti MSI X TRIO
    Same with the msi trio. Hasn't had any problems though with overheating.
    [​IMG]

16. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    That is a high idle temp.

Do you guys use custom fan curves?

My two EVGA 1080 Tis are running at 25 and 27C right now (idle on air).

Maddness likes this.
  17. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080ti MSI X TRIO
    I'm leaving eveything at default at the moment because the card is that good without overclocking. Also waiting for the new bios with fixed power target before attempting overclocking again. So to answer your question; that is without a custom fan curve and no oc.

BangTail likes this.
  18. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Ahh, ok.

It's not concerning, just a little high for idle.

What are your average gaming temps?

19. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080ti MSI X TRIO
    Haven't checked yet. I'll report back on that later. On a side note, I don't seem to be able to adjust the fan in afterburner. Do I need to use the beta or something else?

BangTail likes this.
  20. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080ti MSI X TRIO
    Nevermind; need the beta.

BangTail likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.