The RTX 2080Ti Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Netherwind, Aug 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti SLi
    Got a bit of a wait until the cards are available so hopefully they'll be in stock between now and then, I'll keep an eye on Nvidias store.

BangTail likes this.
  2. SpookySkeleton

SpookySkeleton Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    i ordered mine, will come monday 15 or 22 probably, the pny one, impatient see if the change is worth, i came from a 1080, i've already seen some videos with games and dlss on, seems the dlss iq is the same as txaa, blurry textures but with less motion blur and fixing the jags on transparent textures like grass and hair, really wishing to see how it looks in real life, and how it performs in my rig. Gonna be a long wait for me

3. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PC VEGA64 Red Devil
    I was at the local tech mall earlier and was surprised to see a good number of RTX 2080/2080Ti cards in quite a few of the shops. Couldn't helpmyself and sangged the cheapest RTX 2080 Ti I could find...
    [​IMG]

4. RainyMirror

RainyMirror Member

GPU:
    PNY 2080Ti XLR8
    Well, the recently released Forza Horizon 4 is a clear example of 1080Ti SLI owner's frustration:
    • Doesn't use SLI, and never will
    • On a single 1080Ti, you hit 60FPS but it constantly drops to ~55-59
    So this is a game you KNOW that a 2080Ti will do 60FPS @4K, and you get sad because it's not in your hands yet. :(
    And now I have to spend a couple of hours looking online for that magical combination of settings that gets you 60 FPS with the minimum trade-offs.

tensai28 likes this.

5. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Yah, Ill just play that on XB1X as I don't really like racing on PC if it's not in VR but the next one that wont support SLI will be the new Assassin's Creed.

We've already had the 411.70 driver drop which provides the 'optimal experience' for AC and Forza 4.

I guess the 'optimal experience' they are referring to is for single GPU customers as there is no SLI profile for either game, and going on past experience with these two franchises, there never will be.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  6. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    I've only tried the demo and I believe I chose Ultra but then I heard that there are some "Max" settings. Anyway, the demo ran at 4K60fps for me.

I understand the frustration with SLI and that's why I left it two years ago.

BangTail likes this.
  7. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Well Nvidia finally charged my credit card today for my FE pre-order. I don't know what they consider expedited shipping but hopefully it comes this weekend.

pharma and BangTail like this.
  8. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080ti MSI X TRIO
    Can't comment on the sli part since I never owned sli but that constant dropping to 49-55fps at 4k on a 1080ti was very frustrating. So close but can't quite reach it. Also didn't help with all the limitations on overclocking. People can say what they want about the price and performance of the 2080ti but it's finally nice to not really have to worry about keeping 60fps at 4k anymore.

Maddness and BangTail like this.
  9. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Master Guru

GPU:

That's maxed out results from tomb raider? How many fps with just "high" settings? Titan v with OC scores 78fps so I wonder how 2080ti will fare. ​

10. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080ti MSI X TRIO
    Almost maxed. I just had contact shadows disabled and using smaa (you can see the exact settings on the screen shot) . I'll run it at high settings and post the results later today. Which type of AA would you like me to use?

LuckyNumber8 likes this.

11. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti 1080 FE
    Here are some interesting news on RTX 2080Ti performance in compute or rendering situations but all depends on developers as usual

From Forbes review of RTX 2080Ti

https://www.forbes.com/sites/moorin...ry-fast-with-untapped-potential/#3144cfb97f41

"I acquired a particularly interesting benchmark from OTOY, which has a rendering engine called Octane. Octane plugs into many different applications and helps accelerate rendering and ray tracing through GPU compute. The newest version of Octane introduced ray tracing acceleration, using the RT cores in the new RTX GPUs. This at least gives us a rough idea of how much additional acceleration we can expect with RT cores. In our testing, the RTX 2080 Ti scored 360 in Octane bench, almost 80% faster than the GTX 1080 Ti. Without RT acceleration, the RTX 2080 Ti is about 40% faster than the GTX 1080 Ti on CUDA core performance alone. However, these are early days—I expect both OTOY and NVIDIA will improve the application and the drivers to squeeze even more performance out of the RTX series"

[​IMG]
    Question over on FB regarding the performance of RTX in Octane

James Hibbert

@Jules IIRC you said 6-9 months for [RTX optimization] in a previous interview?

Jules Urbach

@James Hibbert Yup, we thought we’d have nothing until Vulkan work in 2019, so immediate ~2x speed up over Pascal in 2018.1 is a good start.

fyi, Octane 2018.1 is what would formerly be known as V5, which is slated for EOY release.

Some research on Turing performance for path tracing.

We are not at all talking gaming FPS here. This is about the CGI industry (animation, VFX, advertising, and game studios) using GPUs for pure ray/path tracing to produce photo realistic images with offline render engines (V-Ray, Octane, Redshift, Blender Cycles, etc.).

For this workload the speedup of RT cores is dramatic. This new availability of consumer hardware, which accelerates ray tracing with dedicated cores, will have a major impact on the industry, which is still dominated by CPU rendering.

A.)

We have two official statements from OTOY and Chaos Group with regards to performance gains over Pascal once the RT cores are fully leveraged.

“NVIDIA RTX ray-tracing hardware is the future – and will define the next decades of GPU rendering. At SIGGRAPH, we’re demonstrating performance improvements of 5-8x with Octane 2019’s path-tracing kernel – running at 3.2 billion rays/second on NVIDIA’s new Quadro RTX 6000 – compared to 400 millions rays/second on P6000” — Jules Urbach, chief executive officer, Otoy
    “DXR on Turing enables us to explore workflows for real-time visualization that were not possible before. We estimate that Turing hardware is 3-5x faster than earlier GPU generations for the real-time ray tracing of our Project Lavina.” — Vlado Koylazov, co-founder and CTO, Chaos Group
    r/https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2018/08/13/turing-industry-support/

Additional information in this short video interview with Jules Urbach, also in the video's comments:

r/

This video is also linked on Nvidia's website. The important point, it is linked under Vulkan API. This is when OTOY will leverage the cores fully in release 2019.1 after they finished porting the whole render engine over to Vulkan as OptiX does not give the same granularity of control like Vulkan and DXR does.

r/https://developer.nvidia.com/rtx/raytracing

B.)

This is the reason we see "only" an 80% improvement for OctaneBench 5 in the Forbes article: Preliminary use of OptiX for the release 2018.1 and the lack of granular control of Vulkan or DXR.

r/https://www.forbes.com/sites/moorin...ry-fast-with-untapped-potential/#5617e3517f41

C.)

So Nvidia's Marketing is saying 10 Gigarays and OTOY talks about 3.2 Gigarays. Why the difference? Nvidia only measures how many rays the new cores can cast. There is no shading etc. involved. It is a theoretical value for primary rays only, those rays are fully coherent and the most performing one. Secondary rays and when tracing the path of those rays they tend to go into different directions, using different data from the memory etc... Also, shading and various calculations and control logic needs time, some but not all can be done concurrently on the cuda cores. We all knew 10 Gigarays is only a theoretical max and OTOY has a first number what it means for path tracing reality.

"This is an important slide. Scenes behind the 10 Gigarays/s number. Each scene has a single high poly mesh (no background). Primary rays = fully coherent."

r/https://twitter.com/SebAaltonen/status/1041626976967110656

" 4K at 60 fps = 0.5 Gigarays/s, assuming one ray/pixel. Thus RTX 2080 Ti allows you to cast 20 rays per pixel in scenes like this at 60 fps (4K). Assuming of course that you use 100% of your frame time for TraceRays calls, or overlap TraceRays calls (async compute) with other work "

r/https://twitter.com/SebAaltonen/status/1041631227168600064

"But we agree it's still faster to rasterize first hit than ray-trace it, right? Isn't there a better measure, something that would be far more interesting for real usage (i.e. for second+ hits incoherent rays)? Like megaRays or gigaRays as a function of material roughness maybe? "

https://twitter.com/Patapom2/status/1041596231435411456

D.)

As already mentioned, RT cores do only cast the rays and the developer has to decide how it goes from there. The time used for casting the rays varies with the complexity of the shaders.

Chaos Group blog post on their experimental implementations of Vray for RTX:

"Depending on the amount of geometry in the scene and the complexity of the shaders, the balance between ray casting and shading can vary a lot. In typical scenes, ray casting may take as much as 80% for very simple scenes while heavy production scenes may only spend 20% of their time on it. The RTX graphics cards include specialized “RT Cores” to accelerate the ray casting process specifically. Since ray casting is a relatively complex algorithm, implementing it directly in hardware can lead to substantial speed increases. Note, however, that even if ray casting is infinitely fast and takes zero time, there is still the shading component of the ray tracing process, so speed increases from using the RT Cores will vary from scene to scene depending on how much time is spent on ray casting. "

r/https://www.chaosgroup.com/blog/wha...ware-mean-for-ray-tracing-gpu-rendering-v-ray

" There's scenes of varying complexity[...]. they vary from Cornel Box at 8 Gigarays/s, to the Julia OctaneBench Interior scene which is 3.2 Gray/s - both with PT kernel + importance sampling working on the VK backend."

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Oct...1083246721852405&comment_tracking={"tn":"R3"}

E.)

Knowing that all, this work of casting rays, testing intersections and building and updating the BVH database are all tasks that don't translate very well to the bandwidth optimized GPUs. Single function silicon did speed up just this, and this is where we get that (hopefully) 3x - 8x improvement.

F.)

Major caveat: RT cores can only handle triangles. This means that more sophisticated things like volumes (fog, clouds, liquids) are no running on those cores and still need to find those intersection points "manually" using the cuda cores. From an artistic standpoint we like these fogs and godrays a lot, we will see if there is going to be improvements over generations.

"RTX isn't a silver bullet - it speeds up raw ray tracing for tri-meshes, so volumes and light shading are still done in CUDA (or VK compute). But, with the tracing done in HW, the rest of the GPU now has more cores left for shading and volume tracing, so they are indirectly sped up by RTX. Both AI Light and denoiser for high speed volumetric lights in next Octane will help speed up non-RTX elements, hopefully get us to real time even with complex volumetric elements"

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Oct...1083249711852106&comment_tracking={"tn":"R2"}

Edit: G.)

There is one more major factor that makes a difference: the ability to combine/pool the memory of two card in a consumer product. NVLink was already available in the professional space with Quadro and Tesla cards and now OTOY confirmed in a forum the RTX 20-series also can pool its memory. This means 2 x 11 GB = 22 GB VRAM with NVLink, on consumer cards.

The VRAM limitation is the major advantage of CPU rendering which can access much larger amounts of RAM. For ray tracing you need the entire scene accessible in memory. Unlike rasterizing where you can load one batch of polygons after the other, when ray tracing the secondary rays can hit any part of the scene and if this geometry is not in the VRAM it needs to be loaded over the PCIe bus with low bandwidth and high latency, killing the speed advantage GPU rendering has over CPU rendering. On the professional end with Quadro cards, being able to pool now 2 x 48 GB = 96 GB VRAM is enough to hold geometry and textures of really large cinematic productions.

There is a speed hit to be expected. A single x8 NVLink channel provides 25 GB/s peak bandwidth in and 25 GB/s out. There are two x8 links on the TU102 GPU and a single x8 link on the Turing TU104 GPU.

https://wccftech.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-and-rtx-2080-review/5/

RTX 2080 = RTX 5000 = 25 in + 25 out = 50 GB/s

RTX 2080 Ti = RTX 6000/8000 = 50 in + 50 out = 100 GB/s

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/design-visualization/nvlink-bridges/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NVLink

For the 2080 Ti this equals 1/6th of GDDR6 Memory Bandwidth of 616 GB/s or half the NVLink Bandwidth of the GV100 or one third of the V100.

OTOY is testing how big the impact on speed will be. VRAM memory pooling will be at least better performing compared to loading "out-of-core" geometry and textures from low bandwidth connected RAM, and it will perform better on a 2080 Ti than on a 2080 due to two NVLink's on the TU102.

I know over here is not so many people who will be using their GPUs for rendering but there few interesting news which are not very known

Although I'm still not decided if I will be getting one as current state of render engines are, Octane full support will be here end of the year, Cycles I would expect end of year or beginning of year amd other render engines not sure

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

Maddness, The1 and anxious_f0x like this.
  12. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti SLi
    The 4 slot NVLink is now back in stock over on Nvidia’s store for anyone else that was struggling to find one.

BangTail likes this.
  13. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Master Guru

GPU:
    TAA is fine

14. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    G-Sync! G-Sync! G-Sync!

In a couple of years you'll find a similar game that does 55-59 on a 2080Ti and 60 locked on a 3080Ti / 4080Ti / RTX Panther XLXX. That miniature sort of difference to a common target does not justify any sort of upgrade when G-Sync can probably take care of that issue for cheaper and, in practice, forever.

fantaskarsef and Maddness like this.
  15. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080ti MSI X TRIO
    Here it is at 4k high preset, TAA and with motion blur off. I can run the same test again after I get around to overclocking if you'd like.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

pharma, LuckyNumber8 and BangTail like this.

16. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080ti MSI X TRIO
    Overclocking is yeilding some decent results. I'm just starting but I just raised my core by 40mhz and set the power target to full and got this kind of boost on superposition. Here's a taste of it. Keep in mind this is at 4k and I am not done overclocking.

Before

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

17. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Master Guru

GPU:
    Thanks, so your 2080ti even with stock clocks is faster than OC'ed titan V (78fps) :). I think shadow of the tomb raider still looks amazing at high settings and with 80 fps on average game should be perfectly playable.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
    BangTail and tensai28 like this.
  18. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080ti MSI X TRIO
    It's even a little faster now with a light OC. Here's some updated results for shadow of the tomb raider on both my settings and yours.

My settings (near max)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

High preset TAA(minus motion blur)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Honestly if feels like I can still push this thing further but 71 fps avg is pretty nice on a 60hz screen and gives me a decent buffer for demanding scenes. I don't really feel the need to push the card more at the moment.

pharma, BangTail and LuckyNumber8 like this.
  19. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nice :), although I have to say your benchmark results suggests some CPU bottlenecks even at 4K so your 2080ti score should be even higher.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  20. pharma

pharma Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Evga has issued bios updates that increase the power target to 130% for better overclocking on both 2080 and 2080 Ti.
    Will other manufacturers will follow suit ...

tensai28, BangTail and Maddness like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.