The RTX 2080Ti Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Netherwind, Aug 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    There is no central database involved. The cost per frame (throughput / latency) to fetch from a central database would be too high to do this in realtime. Also, there's no technique in place to know what to search for within such a hypothetical database.

Instead, Nvidia is training a neural network from that database of 64x supersampled images such that it can reliably predict, with reasonable accuracy, what a supersampled image would look like given an input image of a lower resolution. This is essentially object recognition. Then, they are dishing out that neural network via driver updates / game profiles.

DLSS 1x renders at half the resolution while DLSS 2x renders at native resolution. The technique for prediction, which is in technical terms the "inferencing" part, is essentially the same. Inferencing relies on the Tensor cores which are optimized for very fast matrix multiplication operations that are generally required for inferencing in neural networks. Both 1x and 2x save on the cost of inferencing on the shader cores, while 1x goes one step further and saves on the cost of rendering the input frame itself.

Seaclean likes this.
  2. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080ti MSI X TRIO
    I just got back from Taipei and no luck finding the cards. Every store had no clue when they would get them so they didn't want to take preorders. Best I could do is get them to agree to call me if they ever got it in stock. 2080 was easy to find pretty much everywhere. I did however talk to my friend who works at msi and found out some information. Nvidia supplied them(msi) with the most low amount of 2080ti units they have ever seen. They are so backed up on preorders they don't even want to take any more. Also they said Nvidia is implementing strict control methods and only allowing them to sell 30 2080tis in Taiwan this coming 27th. Freakin 30 for the whole country. Of course, they are already all preordered. He said this was very unusual and shockingly small compared to previous generations and thinks Nvidia wasn't ready for this release or something else is going on.

D3M1G0D and BangTail like this.
  3. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Wow, my 'paper launch' alarm just blew up.

[​IMG]

4. Seaclean

Seaclean Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB Gaming
    yasamoka likes this.

5. RainyMirror

RainyMirror Member

GPU:
    PNY 2080Ti XLR8
    Oh man, I'm holding onto my 2080Ti preorder with my life! I don't even want to ask amazon about it.
    I'm pretty sure it would go something like this with the chat robot:
    -"Hey, what's going on with my order, it hasn't shipped yet!"
    -"I'm so sorry it was delayed, I just refunded it and cancelled it. Again, I'm so sorry. Here's $5."
    NOOOOOOOO.mp3

6. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    I just spoke to one of my e-tailers and I could not get a straight answer.

The dance continues …

[​IMG]

pharma and tensai28 like this.
  7. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I think Linus was spot on when he said the product was rushed. The month-long preorder, lack of game support, delays, and now lack of supply all point to a release that was nowhere near ready. It's perplexing why they would feel the need to rush the product like this when they have no competition. As an Nvidia stockholders, I am disappointed.

But as an AMD stockholder, I am happy. There were fears that Nvidia's next-gen GPUs would make AMD GPUs completely obsolete but it doesn't look like that's the case. If I didn't know any better, I'd say they're doing AMD a favor.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  8. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Vision OC 24GB
    I hear ya, I'm stuck with a 1030 2gb till mine ships. :confused:

pharma and tensai28 like this.
  9. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080ti MSI X TRIO
    At least you have a 1030...I'm on integrated. Pretty big step down from a 1080ti.

10. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    Time to go through the emulator backlog ;) Or Indie games backlog

yasamoka likes this.

11. RainyMirror

RainyMirror Member

GPU:
    PNY 2080Ti XLR8
    Why did you sell your cards before getting the RTX?
    When I install my 2080Ti, my 1080Ti's will still be hot. And I hope that it will be this year.
    I preordered in august, yet I'm still on "backorder" according to the latest update from Amazon.

12. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    It's just been delayed again.

Oct-5-9th now.

insp1re2600 likes this.
  13. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080ti MSI X TRIO
    I figured I couldn't sell it for as much if I waited until the the release. There's still some people here who haven't been following and are unaware of the new cards coming out. I did get quite a bit back so it was worth it but yeah, I'm learning the hard way that I maybe should have waited. Just wish I could get a clear eta of when I can actually buy the thing. I might get lucky because I have a friend who works at msi. Luckily he's kind enough to be making a few calls around to get me a card if they have an extra (ex: pre-order gets canceled) . The problem is Nvidia gave them a rediculously low amount to work with and they don't even want to take any more pre-orders because of this.

14. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080ti MSI X TRIO
    And that's just for pre-orders right? People unable to pre-order have to wait even longer? I mean nothing is expected on the shelf yet right?

There's another problem going on too. Some jerks who were able to get their hands on a 2080ti are selling them online for even more jacked up prices. Very frustrating.

15. RainyMirror

RainyMirror Member

GPU:
    PNY 2080Ti XLR8
    That's the worst scenario ever... that scalpers are getting them first!
    Who the heck pays those prices?
    My guess is that some wannabe reviewers buy them in order to have a timely review out.

tensai28 likes this.

16. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Yah, this 'launch' is a total and complete pisstake.

The cards are underwhelming, they are overpriced and now they are very late.

I can deal with the underwhelming performance and the price but at least have the damn things ready for us to buy.

Maybe Jensen should have been in the factory boxing up some m'Fing product as opposed to nattering away on stage for over 3 hours.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
    Party Poison and tensai28 like this.
  17. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Vision OC 24GB
    I think your integrated is probably better tbh, I just didn't want it messing with my over clock having onboard video turned back on.

tensai28 likes this.
  18. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080ti MSI X TRIO
    Yeah there were about two people selling them when I checked the other day and both ads are gone now. Either they gave up or people were desperate/crazy enough to pay that much.
    Exactly; I have no clue why in the heck they launched it when they did. They clearly weren't ready. I mean, 30 units for a whole country?? Have they gone completely mad?? I'm assuming it's also very limited for other countries as well.
    Maybe. I haven't looked into what the built in graphics was like on the 6600k. I don't think I'm going to bother using it. I've been using my laptop mostly (i5 7200u with integrated graphics) and probably will continue to until I get my 2080ti.

BangTail likes this.
  19. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3080 Strix H20
    1030 is miles above any intel IGP

I thought the 1030 was pretty respectable, especially with OC core + memory.

20. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Well, my NVLink connectors just arrived :rolleyes:

/golfclap

pharma and insp1re2600 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.