The RTX 2080Ti Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Netherwind, Aug 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    I can tell you that I'm struggling to get games to run at 60fps on my 4K TV and since the 2080 isn't better than a 1080Ti, I think you'll share my problem. Of course it depends on the game and how much detail you're willing to sacrifice but just running any game at 4K Ultra isn't realistic if the target is 60fps. So far I've done pretty well with games like FFXV and Monster Hunter World but SotTR is the final boss that proved impossible to beat. So a step down to my monitor (3440x1440) apparently should do the trick (mind you I don't own the game).

Also this talk about DLSS is somewhat skewed since the tech itself won't magically add frames on it's own. All it will do is help performance compared to other enabled AA techniques and personally, AA is the first thing I turn off when I cannot reach 60fps in 4K so DLSS would not have helped me at all in those scenarios.

2. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080ti MSI X TRIO
    Yeah now the only problem is actually finding a store that sells it.

Unlike the popular opinion, I actually am 100% satisfied with this release of the 20 series. It worked out pretty well for me. The 2080 turned out to be the same as the 1080ti and at a higher price making the 1080ti still very attractive and not lowering the price of the 1080ti. That made it real easy for me to sell my 1080ti without having to crank down the price too much. Previous generations would have the xx70 card crushing (or rather matching) the ti of the last generation at a fraction of the price making it harder to sell. With all the money back from selling the card, I can get a 2080ti for the price of a 1070ti. I also can't understand why 1080ti owners are complaining. It's win-win for everyone. People who aren't on 1080ti's can now upgrade for cheaper from the people selling and people who are on 1080tis can sell their cards and upgrade for cheaper too. Funny how people don't look at it that way.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  3. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    I guess it depends on the country? If nVidia would have cut the prices of the 1XXX series then it would still have been possible to get a good price for my 1080Ti as long as I would sell it fast enough. Let's say that I would get 500€ and the 2080Ti would have cost 900€ (like the 1080Ti cost at launch) then I would just have to add 400€ (which would be relative to the performance increase) but today I could perhaps get 550€ for my 1080Ti but since a 2080Ti costs 1450€ I would have to add 900€ which is insane considering the 30% performance increase. For me it's definitely not a win-win unless the card gets a 400€ price drop.

Theoretically I would win more by going SLI with my current card (assuming scaling was good).

4. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080ti MSI X TRIO
    Yeah that's a crazy price. Are GPU's usually that much there? Maybe buy out of country? Or maybe perhaps trying to sell your 1080ti for more? If prices are generally higher there, could get away with selling for more.

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I think they do look at it that way.. I just don't think people consider $400+ (the price of a 1070Ti) good value for a 30% performance upgrade and the promise of the value-add tech lottery.

By comparison 980Ti's were selling for $550-600 when the 1080 launched at $700 FE and that was a 25% increase for $100. But that was mostly because 1080 was impossible to buy for like the first 3 months.

6. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    Yes, unfortunately they are. Sure, in theory that sounds like a good deal but it's also a lot of hassle, no warranty and additional VAT if bought from outside the EU. Getting more from my 1080Ti is probably not possible since a new one costs 850-900€ atm (my particular brand). So if I got 550-600€ it would be absolute max.

7. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080ti MSI X TRIO
    Depends on where you live. 1070ti is about 16,000nt here which is 521usd. That's why I used the 1070ti as a comparison.

edit:sorry I should have read more carefully. I see what you mean. But I don't think the performance bump is too bad. It's all I need for 4k and vr got a very huge boost that people aren't mentioning. I have an htc vive to that is something I am looking forward to. Actually; if one only cared for vr, the 2080 also offers an improvement over the 1080ti in that.

8. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Yah, this is a primary consideration for me, VR is heavily FPS reliant and SLI is pretty much useless in VR so 30-40% is a substantial upgrade where VR is concerned.

9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I definitely think there are use cases where the 2080Ti, 2080 make sense - VR is one of them, 4K is probably another.. perhaps in 6 months with more DLSS/RTX/NGX titles/applications it will make even more sense.. I just think overall, the majority of people are going to view them as overpriced for what they offer currently. That doesn't mean those people should come on the forums and attack users who do buy them.. but I don't think the view that they are overpriced is surprising given historical performance/$ and this launch in general.

tensai28 likes this.
  10. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    They are overpriced, especially if you go by previous launches, and I think you made a good point before, most people don't/won't buy on the basis of a feature lottery.

I'm interested in DLSS but RT is probably the last reason I am buying these cards right now.

11. Seaclean

Seaclean Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB Gaming
    Thanks for your weigh-in. The target isn't necessarily a solid 60 - I'd settle for 40-45, depending on the title. Gotta give dat g-sync room to do its thing :D

And I'm not sure you're right about the DLSS. It's not an anti-aliasing technique although the results in image quality are comparable. I think of it as more of a new type of rendering.

As far as I understand, the internal resolution is cut in half (hence the significant performance gain) and then reconstructed/filled in on the fly via AI using extremely-detailed SSx16 images pulled from a central database:
    "The game itself is rendered at a lower resolution and just like those image enhancement techniques that work so well via deep learning techniques, DLSS works to produce higher resolution imagery. "

Have I misunderstood how it works? Would a 4K setting with no AA perform better than with DLSS? And how so, given how DLSS lowers the resolution? Just like native 4K (no AA) wouldn't perform better than 4K with checkerboard rendering.

12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    You're correct although I should add that there is a second variant called DLSS 2x which renders at native but does a similar technique with AI to provide AA to the native image.

13. Seaclean

Seaclean Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB Gaming
    Ah, good then. Makes sense. So in that sense I guess DLSS would add frames to your game - just not magically ;)

14. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Well just got an email saying my 2080 ti will ship on October 5th with expedited shipping.

-Tj-, pharma and BangTail like this.
  15. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Excellent :)

16. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    There might be another solution that will last through many gfx card generations.
    Check out Samsungs latest TVs, some of them can do 4K 120Hz interpolation with close to 20ms lag only!
    The 2018 Q9FN, Q8FN and Q7FN series are amazing. **Edit and Q6FN
    (Except for 49" displays, they have a 60Hz panel)
    https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q7fn-q7f-q7-2018
    https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q8fn-q8f-q8-2018
    https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q9fn-q9f-q9-2018
    edit and
    https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q6fn-q6f-q6-2018

If the interpolation is decent then you can run at half the framerate and win :)
    Bonus, the flagship Q9 versions are some of the best HDR TVs out there, closely rivalling OLED without the burn in problems.

They cost more than most PC displays but you will easily save that back by not having to upgrade your gfx card for a long time.
    Fingers crossed the interpolation is good enough.
    I might give this a try, I am looking for a new PC display anyway.
    They even support Freesync VRR!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  17. Seaclean

Seaclean Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB Gaming
    @Mufflore thank for your input! Those look Indeed very nice! However, I'm not comfortable gaming at my desk at such huge screen sizes. I cap out at around 32-35" which is why I prefer monitors. Then there's G-sync which, IMO, is a necessity if I'm going to own an RTX 2080.

18. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080ti MSI X TRIO
    Just sold my card. I'm now without a gpu until I can find a store that has 2080ti in stock.

19. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    So I wasn't around for about a week, missed the big review galore. Haven't even had time to read them thouroughly, but the performance increase over 1080Ti doesn't impress me. I think this won't be the card I'll grab, since I don't play at 4K anyway.
    The prices are also steep... I don't personally see Nvidia making huge amounts of cash with those cards for gaming, and I'll probably wait until either the cards get cheaper down the road, or the next generation launches.

Really sad to see that I won't be upgrading for at least another year although I could afford it... #feelsbadman

eGGroLLiO and endbase like this.
  20. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    Okay, I stand corrected. I really thought it was just an AA technique and nothing more. I also heard about this half resolution thing which made me thing the image would completely loose its sharpness on a 4K screen but after having watched a Digital Foundry video it looks like those experts mention great image quality despite the reconstruction of half resolution frames. I must try and find comparisons between a game running DLSS and the same game running no AA cause we already know there are big gains if you look at DLSS vs TAA.

Seaclean likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.