The RTX 2080Ti Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Netherwind, Aug 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RainyMirror

RainyMirror Member

GPU:
    PNY 2080Ti XLR8
    Any nvlink reviews yet?
    Also, my PNY GeForce RTX 2080 Ti XLR8 got shipped today, and I have no idea how it performs. It was the only card I could get before the scalpers emptied out Amazon.

2. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Yah, the scalper douchebags are out in force on Amazon I see,

Disgusting.

No NVlink reviews that I have seen yet.

3. kosta20071

kosta20071 Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    I forgot to mention RGB\YCBCR 4:4:4 4k@60Hz… so I guess it can't do that just like the previous gen due to HDMI 2.0b limitation

4. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Master Guru

GPU:
    At first I was dissapointed with the results, but after reading multiple reviews I came to the conclusion it could be the biggest leap in performance in entire Nv history, but the problem is, current games only use half of turing chip, in fact the least impressive half.

Total performance improvement in current games range from unimpresive 25% to very impressive 68% in wilfenstein 2. In the most demanding location 1080ti gets 50fps min and 61 fps average while, 2080ti 90fps min and 103 fps average (111fps with OC). Digital foundry have said they ecen found one location that shows over 70% improvement. That game is basically 4K 120Hz game on 2080ti.

Average performance improvement is around 30% but if I would take into account just games that run with problems on 1080ti, then these particular games run around 40-50% better now.

Hellblade - 42 fps on 1080ti, 69fps on stock 1080ti
    Rise of the tomb raider 59fps on 1080ti, and 75 on 2080ti
    Shadow of the tomb raider 40 fps on 1080ti, 59 fps on 2080ti, and with high detail 2080ti unlike 1080ti (50fps)run that game with very impressive 80fps. expected.
    The witcher 3, before 59fps on 1080ti, now 81 fps on 2080ti so basically game will run for 99% of time above 60fps on 2080ti, and on 1080ti 99% of time below that target. There are also other games like crysis 3, mass effect andromeda, the evil within 2, TC the division, the crew 2, and many other that run around 40fps on 1080ti and run now either above 60fps, or very close to it (very basic details tweak and 60fps locked gameplay should be already).

So I say in current games 25-68% is good already, anyone can tell 40fps vs 60fps difference in the most demanding games, and future games will show even better performance. Additional near 100% improcement thanks to DLSSx1, 20% imprvement thanks to new shading features, and additional 20% in some HDR games (I have seen already games that run 20% worse in HDR on 1080ti). If someone will sum it up these numbers, in the near future we can see games with literally over 150% performance improcement compared to pascal. In fDLSS demo GTX 2080 is already 40-50% faster compared to 1080ti (guys from digital foundry were totally impressed). And DLSSx2 will be essentialy free SSAA, and unlike DLSS it will start it's magic from native resolution unlike DLSSx1.

i think Nv just rushed turing launch. They should work with game developers first and prepeare at leasr dew games that would show 150% performance improvement over pascal, and then people will be more convinced. Right now they want to sell their cards for normal games that shows 25-70% improvement and that's not enough to many people.

BananaRepublik and BangTail like this.

5. Smiley_ie

Smiley_ie Master Guru

GPU:
    INNO3D RTX3090 X3
    Friend of mine is buying my 1070, Gonna grab a 2070 will be interesting to see the 2070+DLSS results.

6. Slinkyminx

Slinkyminx Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    Right, LuckyNumber8 is an Nvidia shill. Right it's either that or he's just so comedically delusional.

I honestly think it is the first.

Well I mean either that or he's honestly trying to convince HIMSELF!?

7. Slinkyminx

Slinkyminx Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060
  8. Slinkyminx

Slinkyminx Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060

Good straight up stuff from hardware unboxed, seems like a straight shooter

I liked what he said 'forces Nvidia down to the actual MSRP due to slow sales'

But by then though I imagine they've already milked all the more, well off dudes.

Solid stuff really, wait till everyone who can and will pay these prices has, then drop prices and sell to everyone else :D clever stuff !!

To be honest though.... he pretty much nailed when he said.. 'We're all doomed'

Pretty much my conclusion, as I am sure ya'll have noticed !!!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  9. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    A few more RTX series performance features in addition to dynamic ray-tracing. Variable rate shading was included in the Wolfenstein 2 benchmark.

10. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    You spend a lot of time in here considering you aren't even buying these things :rolleyes:

Time is money and Nvidia surely is making you waste yours.

That right there, is comedy (with a healthy dose of irony) :p

11. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX3080TI FTW3
    the prices may not be right but they are good cards and unfortunately nvidia has no competition so there is that...

BangTail likes this.
  12. Slinkyminx

Slinkyminx Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    I don't think they are good cards... not sure what makes you draw that conclusion. They're one of the worst releases in history, excluding the price.

And IKR Bang, and you sure spend a lot for time stalking me... ;P

... Just horsing with ya brua

I know you're buying one, so the last thing you want to hear is me yapping on about why I think thy're crap and Nvidia are ***** day in day out, so for that I am sorry, but I gotta do what I gotta do, can't let them get away with GPU Murder and the days of the internet give nobodies like me a voice.

BangTail likes this.
  13. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Gaming X Trio
    I think the price of those cards are perfectly right. Those new cards are extending the range of Nvidia cards, adding a replacement for 1080-ti in the form of 2080 and adding an extra card on top of it.
    While adding Motion Adaptive Shading, DLSS, Raytracing, and whatever goodies we're gonna be able to leverage using the A.I inference core.

AMD or not it really means nothing, when you already have GPUs that are killing everything out there aka the 10XX serie.

People are used to get 50% performance increase per generation of GPU, it's the level of evolution we haven't seen in CPU since over 5 years.
    Moore's law is dead, to expect performance increase as in the past without any extra cost, is just pure madness and unrealistic expectation.

14. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    Seriously?

15. RainyMirror

RainyMirror Member

GPU:
    PNY 2080Ti XLR8
    Thanks, I am one of those insane people.
    In fact, I'm so happy with all these negative reviews about value and performance, because:
    1. My 2 1080Ti's will sell quickly and at a very good price
    2. The 2080Ti will be back in regular stock sooner, so I'll have the second one earlier than expected
    All in all, I should get 1 2080Ti "free", and the second one at 20% off. It's very fiscally responsible, see?
    But joking aside, I really, really hope one is enough for the current games.
    One will certainly not be enough for games with heavy "RTX lobby".
    And I bet, I BET, games affected with this lobby or incentive, or whatever you want to call it, will make that "RTX OFF" illumination look like a big yellow filter that washes everything in the game with ultra brightness.

pharma and tensai28 like this.

16. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090
    I'll just leave this here...

[​IMG]

;)

Netherwind, cowie, XenthorX and 7 others like this.
  17. RainyMirror

RainyMirror Member

GPU:
    PNY 2080Ti XLR8
    Nice!
    Did you check how many spaces your motherboard leaves you? Those 3-slot cards look like trouble for many of us looking to SLI.
    My motherboard luckily leaves 2 spaces between a dual configuration, but I still look for 2-slot cards.

18. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090
    Yeah, they will just fit, although I'll temporarily have to take out my soundcard because the bottom GPU will hit it I think. They'll go on water in a month or so once more waterblocks become available anyway.

I'm just testing SLI scaling myself, so I'll drop back with some results later.

The1, Maddness and tensai28 like this.
  19. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    I honestly can't wait to be rid of SLI and I don't think 2080TI SLI will handle RTX @ 4K/60FPS and that is truly disappointing when you have laid out 2.5K and still can't get there.

I mean if one 2080Ti runs SOTR @ 1080P/30FPS and 4K is four times 1080P, then two cards aren't going to get you there.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  20. klepp0906

klepp0906 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 2080TI
    The bigger issue is gonna be when u want to use an accessory monitor and can’t because the need for FSE for sli to function.

Every time that happens your decision loses value irrespective of potential scaling.

Add in games that don’t support FSE (wow for example which to be fair you certainly don’t need sli for) or games that don’t support sli at all.

I used to be an sli proponent. Just sold my two 1080s to buy one 1080ti actually. Used to have quad 480 and quad first gen Titans.

Now going down to 1 card, everything runs so much better with so many less compromises or problems.

Should have done it ages ago.

I now realize I ran sli for the niche cool factor which is a really stupid reason to spend that kind of money.

To be fair, if nvlink delivered on the whole “software support not needed” and “2 cards seen as 1 thing” I would have considered it as some of the problems sli creates would potentially be alleviated.

As it sits, it’s sli with a new name and more expensive bridge.

BangTail likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.