The RTX 2080Ti Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Netherwind, Aug 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT/GTX 1060
    Why nobody? I did mention that for me the main decision will be non-RTX titles performance.

1080Ti works just fine at my 3440x1440, nothing to go crazy about but it suffices. Main thing im looking forward right now is DX12/'DX11 benchmarks. If we see -30-40% performance increase on those, then yes Turing is amazing. But if it will be 10-15% increase and the main benefit of Turing is RayTracing capability for a handful of titles, I'm not even interested in - then absolutely Not.

On the other side, I have mentioned this many times before, is the amount of Pascals on hand thanks to our dearest miners. In the next several months markets will be flooded with second hand Pascals, the largest chunk of those will be ex-miner Pascals (and those are trash level). My main worry is that if I don't get rid of my 1080Ti in next 5-7 months, it will become worthless.

Pretty much sums it up

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  2. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Oh they'll definitely have new drivers for sure, hell they might even be out within a week or two. SOTR is gonna be the first game that really shows off what this new architecture can do.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  3. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT/GTX 1060
    If you watch closely their demo for Tomb Raider, notice how fps DIPS when they toggle RTX on. I have a keen eye on stuff like that, and it's noticeable.

4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    No, I meant nobody during the press conferance (Jensen and his buddies), they didn't talk about dx11 performance during the presentation :)

I completely agree with you, I'm dying for benchmarks right now, I guess HH is under NDA still since he didn't answer me in any way when we get those benches :D
    Yes, the after market... I doubt that the miners are going to jump right on that card though, their algorythms probably aren't optimized yet. Maybe @D3M1G0D has some more intel on this.
    But yes, sooner or later Pascal is going to flood the market. I'm not the kind of guy that sells his used cards (like I'd bother with some noob claiming any damages when he broke the card that ran brilliantly for me), but I see that this is a big thing in the current situation.

5. klepp0906

klepp0906 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 2080TI
    yep, thats exactly it. could i buy one? yep. Do i want one? Yep. But not gonna support it either. 800 was crazy for gods sake. 600 is about as high as they should be. thats more than an entire brand new console when they launch.

/shrug I need a new treadmill and a winter beater for the wife anyhow. Taxes will go there this year. it will be awhile before a lot of meaningful titles use Ray tracing and my 1080ti will be more than enough for the foresseable future. Until the computing industry gets off its ass and makes 4k/144 an affordable option.

6. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I noticed that too, especially when Laura is climbing the rock wall. I think the FPS may have gone below 30 which is not cool at all. Which is why I'm sure Nvidia will release new drivers just before the game comes out.

cryohellinc likes this.
  7. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    You're absolutely right, they'll release drivers, game ready drivers at least.

cryohellinc likes this.
  8. klepp0906

klepp0906 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 2080TI
    you use surround 4k? or just like to blow dough/flex peen? Perhaps your vin diesel hiding behind an anonymous account :p

I used to run multi card too. Ironically until wow went dx12 which killed SLI off completely. Ran surround too (which is why i ran multi card, had no choice really).

wisened up and realized both werent worth a fraction of the trade-offs/trouble they caused. As i got older it became more about reliable computing than speed>all. Now if its stable, practical, reliable. Speed is last.

Besides, cost isnt commensurate. Id rather buy 1 card on an every year upgrade cycle than buy 2 and smoke my electric bill, over heat my room, and offer me little to nothing but extra frames in a specific game or three.

For me, i play wow which is so cpu bound i could have the gpu from 10 years from now and it wouldnt make a lick.

Aaaanyways, i hope most people that are up in arms about pricing stick to their guns. Nvidia needs to see they cant just keep charging more and more and more every single year. Its almost like apple pricing but without the software quality behind it :p

Or like the VR headset pricing. People cant see you need the rest of a pc behind it? A card shouldnt cost more than everything else combined. Good god.

cryohellinc likes this.
  9. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT/GTX 1060
    @klepp0906
    Nvidia is riding on top of a "no competitor" wave. We haven't seen benchmarks yet, but it starts to look like Turing and 2000 series will be short-lived. Probably that's why they have released 2080Ti so fast, as they know a year from now (or sooner), AMD will release their 7nm based GPU's. So Nvidia wants to cash in as mich as they can for the time being on the RayCasting hype.

I couldn't agree more with you on the SLI topic, I will never again go that way. It's expensive and full of problems.

As for now, let's wait for Benchmarks, 60-70% price increase does not justify 20% performance boost. At least not for me.

10. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega56 8GB \ GT1030
    I hope I can postpone my mortgage for 3 months to buy me a nice RTX2080ti and mine the crap out of it with raytracing awesomeness (or not). :p

11. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti 1080 FE
    I have at home two EVGA GTX 1080Ti Black Edition with EVGA Hybrid AIO these cards I bought for friend build and looks like friend decided go route with RTX 2080Ti for his next card and now I'm stuck with these EVGA GTX 1080Ti Black Edition, which if I don't sell will go to my build I just ditch AIO and get WB and stick with Pascal for little while

Planned get TR4 second generation but this does looks like unlikely, my 5960x is still very good OC and will do 4.7GHz

Spoken with brother and he still is unsure if he will be getting as well RTX 2080 or 2080Ti

I will wait on benchmarks and then decide, for me would be interesting performance in rendering

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

12. goodsmac

goodsmac Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 1080Ti FE
    I bought most of the high end models since Geforce 2 Ultra. I call myself a nvidia fanboy. 1300€ for a ti model?! Sorry, this time the pricing is absolutely outrageous. My opinion, we need defenetly more competition in the GPU market!

13. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT/GTX 1060
    2020 will be interesting, as AMD will by that time deliver their 7nm, Nvidia will have to answer that and Intel will make an appearance.

goodsmac likes this.
  14. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    My crystal ball says:
    AMD will launch 7nm, it will be good. But not the best performing card, but more likely second best but cheaper than Nvidia.
    Nvidia will bring out something that competes with AMD in a matter of months, if not before AMD releases their cards.
    Intel will be good for multi display office setups, but not for gaming (at least not first gen).

:D

cryohellinc and Keitosha like this.
  15. Petr V

Petr V Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx over 9000
    Excelent job msi 2080ti trio for 1400€ in Europe.
    Good luck to seling nvidia.

16. EL1TE

EL1TE Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 SH X 2.1GHz
  17. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI OC H20
    think this will be a generation i can safely skip

18. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Pre ordered two 2080 TIs but they will be cancelled if the standard (non RTX) performance is less than 25% (and at this point, I have a feeling it may well be).

The non RTX performance was not touched upon at all which could be a reason to worry.

19. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    I haven't heard anything about nV Link performance. Is it basically the same thing as SLI and is it supported by games?

20. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    I too would love to know more about that. Up until now I only read (on nvidia's homepage) that it supports a higher bandwidth (and with that higher resolutions and refresh rates), but besides that, no idea what it's supposed to different. No word about pooled resources, so I'm afraid it's just SLI bridge "Mk3" (after HB bridge being "Mk2")

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.