1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The RTX 2080Ti Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Netherwind, Aug 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. user1

user1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    hd 6870
    its not all bad, you get titan v realm performance for less than half the price of a titan v

Dlss i think is the real winner however , the end of jagged pixels seems to be at hand.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
    BangTail likes this.
  2. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    This ^^

The only difference being that I don't plan on going back to SLI if I leave it.

It's one of the main selling points of the 2080 Ti for me, single GPU 4k/60FPS.

If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't be buying them.

As an aside, it also frees me up to buy non blower design cards which is another plus.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
    tensai28, XenthorX and BananaRepublik like this.
  3. pharma

pharma Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    You'll get what you want and quite a bit more if any of your games are in the upcoming 25 DLSS enabled games. I imagine very shortly we will be seeing a flood of games supporting DLSS in their games.

XenthorX and BangTail like this.
  4. pharma

pharma Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    @Slinkyminx
    Enough is enough. You're the person with the Vega 64?

5. RainyMirror

RainyMirror Member

GPU:
    PNY 2080Ti XLR8
    I don't PLAN on getting a second 2080Ti, I hope it can behave great as a single gpu for 4K, just like the 1080Ti is for 1080p.

BUT I've always done SLI, since it was invented pretty much. If the 2080Ti breaks the cycle, I'll have to look for something to plug on all those extra pci-e slots!

BangTail likes this.
  6. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX2080
    lol hes got to justify his purchase some how.

7. BananaRepublik

BananaRepublik Member Guru

GPU:
    Galax RTX 2080ti
    I game on a 4K HDR TV and currently have a GTX 1080. It's frustrating. It doesn't get anywhere near 4K60. That's also the reason I didn't upgrade to the 1080ti. It can't do 4K60 either. I decided that I wouldn't upgrade again until a single card capable of 4K60 + HDR was released.

Well, the time has come. The RTX 2080ti is exactly what I've been waiting for and I'm waiting patiently for my MSI RTX 2080ti Trio to arrive. Sure, it's expensive AF, but I'm finally gonna play most of my games at 4K with HDR and 60 FPS and Ultra settings and by the looks of things (https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-9-19-geforce-rtx-2080-2080-ti-review?page=2), DLSS is going to really extend the life of the card, so I'll be keeping it for longer. Ray Tracing is nice, but it wasn't even a consideration for me. I wanted 4K60. Now I'll have it!

pharma likes this.
  8. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    I don't use AA at 4k so dlss is pointless for me the performance of the 2080ti is good the 2080 is a side grade for me but not with those increased prices the launch should have been delayed until RT games are available.
    980ti to 2080 nice upgrade but again without knowing RT performance think 1080ti its cheaper I say wait for games that use RT before purchasing.

pharma likes this.
  9. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Yah, I was thinking the same thing about the spare PCI-E slots :p

Having been an SLI user since it was 'Scan Line Interleave' back in the 3Dfx days, I am going to find it bewildering to look in my case and see only one GPU.

Progress ... I guess?

10. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA XCUltra 2080Ti
    At 4K, TAA is overkill and even deteriorate quality with massive blur ruining a lot of the extra precision you get by playing on higher resolution, while FXAA just isn't enough for temporal aliasing.
    DLSS at no extra cost gonna be a blessing, the picture comparison from Hilbert review are speaking for themselves, the infiltrator demo looks much much better with DLSS than TAA, while running at 10+fps

pharma and BangTail like this.

11. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Yah, these cards bring some very cool things to the table that many are overlooking in favor of griping about RTX, the rather unremarkable FPS gains and of course the price.

I'm looking at the big picture :)

tensai28 and XenthorX like this.
  12. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    The problem is that it needs app support. I'm still playing Fallout 4 and I doubt DLSS will be supported (it's also heavily modded - how would DLSS work with mods?). I would consider DLSS a nice-to-have feature, but not the main reason to buy these cards (of course the main reason why anyone would want to buy these cards is for ray-tracing).

XenthorX likes this.
  13. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080Ti SLI
    Im the same and I completely get that! My rig would look so bare without SLI... im hoping nv link will give SLI a new lease of life, but as with RTX there seems to be little to no info on this either.

14. euskai

euskai Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti STRIX
    Reading the reviews with more time, the bright spot about it all seems to be DLSS. High quality antialsing for free seems a nice feature, and somehow it seems something that will be easier to adopt for new games (at least easier that RTX lightning)

XenthorX likes this.
  15. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Yah and in the podcast I posted a few pages back, Petersen really failed to sell NVLink in any meaningful way.

They pushed the renaissance of SLI hard when Pascal released.

Sadly, the reality has been anything but, with most of the support coming from dedicated users and next to none coming from Nvidia.

They've said they are going to be focusing more on SLI with the release of Turing but actions speak louder than words.

16. klepp0906

klepp0906 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 2080TI
    looks like GG on the "see 2 gpus as one"

largely the only feature that woulda had me potentially buy into these. Skipping this gen, largely due to the price. (actually almost entirely)

of course most of you guys are cool with literally spending more than a decent gaming rig on a single card, so i imagine they'll be priced the same next go round

welcome to the new cost of a gaming gpu. I mean at first it was "oh its the shortage, its the crypto miners"... wishful thinking.

#ponders what to do next tax season. Brand new consoles from microsoft, sony, AND nintendo.... Or a gpu.

Slinkyminx likes this.
  17. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    I'm not necessarily 'cool with it', I just accept the fact that if I want the latest GPUs, that's the price.

Too many people have made this assumption that just because some of us are buying these, we are all 'devil may care' about money and it is simply not the case.

It's more a case of accepting reality than anything else.

Slinkyminx and pharma like this.
  18. Seaclean

Seaclean Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB Gaming
    Out of curiosity (and since you mentioned HDR) what gaming monitor do you have?

19. Archvile82

Archvile82 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 2080ti FE
    I might add it seems some have forgot these cards now do HW HDR with tone mapping so we should see some IQ improvements there. Cant wait to play Tomb Raider and F1 2018 on this thing when it arrives on by LG B6.

Not that my 1080ti was bad, just the extra performance @4k and HDR improvements were enough for me to upgrade, that's without DLSS and RT extras we get. I am pretty sure we will see game patches for DLSS appear very quickly too.

20. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    After watching three video reviews of the RTX 2080 series cards on YouTube, I have to say that I'm deeply underwhelmed by them, especially the RTX 2080 which seems to be a more expensive version of the GTX 1080 Ti at its current pricing, only you pay a premium for the RTX feature which no-one has really been able to benchmark yet because... well, there's no games out there yet that make use of it!!!

As for the RTX 2080 Ti, if money wasn't a consideration then the 20-40% framerate improvements at 1440p and 4K would be very nice but at (currently) £400 over the cost of the GTX 1080 Ti it looks to be poor value. The performance improvement over the last generation of GPUs is what you'd expect anyway so that £400 is for the RTX feature, again of which there is zero to show for it yet besides a Star Wars tech demo and a FFXV benchmark for DLSS.

So glad I resisted the urge to pre-order. As some sites have mentioned, there's a sense that this card has been rushed out unfinished and why...? There's no competition from AMD so NVIDIA could have held back the cards until more games had support added, the new Windows 10 update was released and the drivers were more mature. Quite why they felt this card was needed now is unknown as there really isn't any game out yet that really needs one. The GTX 1080 Ti is perfectly capable of 4K 60 fps gaming with a few tweaks so that £1,100-£1,200 is really hard to justify... unless you've got money to burn, of course. ;)

This card for me is like the GTX 480, perhaps not quite as bad as that, but it wasn't until the GTX 580 and especially the GTX 680 that the technology matured enough to produce great cards at great prices. I think it's fair to say that the RTX 2180 Ti and RTX 2280 Ti will be significantly better cards and (hopefully) better value once AMD release something competitive. And by then there might actually be a decent number of games supporting DLSS and ray-tracing to make them worth buying.

If you ask me, right now, I would rather have paid £700 for the RTX 2080 Ti *without* the Tensor cores and just had that traditional 30% bump in performance in rasterised games. The RTX feature at this point in time has no value and by the time there is stuff to showcase it there will be new cards out anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.