1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The RTX 2080Ti Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Netherwind, Aug 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080Ti SLI
  2. metagamer

metagamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
  3. EL1TE

EL1TE Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 SH X 2.1GHz
    Real benchies should be here in 2 days, unless leaks that is.

4. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Dragam1337 likes this.

5. metagamer

metagamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    The only real difference is that the 2070 has less CUDA cores. Historically, the x70 cards perform on par with previous generation's x80ti cards. This will be close, maybe 5% slower than the 1080ti. It'll be interesting to see how much of an impact overclocking also has on these upcoming cards, the 10 series didn't really improve much with overclocking, I have a feeling it'll be a different story here.

6. Seaclean

Seaclean Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB Gaming
    Dat 2080 Ti sub-60 performance on Shadow of the Tomb Raider.... such a shame in regards to those of us interested in utilizing RTX - we'll be forced to either run the game at full HD (which on a non-native screen will look blurry af) to get around 60 FPS OR run the game
    at 4K with RTX and probably suffer <20 FPS...

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  7. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Maha Guru

GPU:
    1080 Gaming X SLI
    Yep... Glad i cancelled my 2080 ti order - at least my old 1080's can still do a constant 60+ fps in shadow of the tomb raider ;)

8. pharma

pharma Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Some more speculation below till the the reviews come out.

9. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Master Guru

GPU:
    Since I bought my first GPU (TNT2, Geforce 2 GTS, Geforce 3 ti500, Geforce 6800, Geforce 8800Ultra, 280GTX, 680GTX, 1080ti) there was never a single GPU from Nv that would run every game that's out there with the max possible settings and highest resolution. If you buy the best single card GPU it will run new games faster compared to weaker cards, and that's all.

When it comes to RTX effects, there's no doubt in my mind, first cards supporting RTX effects will be slow, that's how it always was with every new tech (shaders, HDR, tessellation etc.) But even if RTX effects will be too demanding in new games, moders CAN always mod some old games like half life 1-2, nnd with RTX effects these games would look like a remasters.

Also digital foundry have said RTX effects in current tech demos are running with 1:1 with native resolution, but they can be rendered at lower resolutions and then upscaled. Shadows and reflection resolution are upscaled anyway in current games and sometimes from much lower resolution than 2K. RTX effects rendered in 1920x1080 at 60fps should still look amazing even in 4K.

10. Seaclean

Seaclean Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB Gaming
    This is my hope as well; that there's going to be some sort of adjuster for the resolution and/or intensity of RTX features so that we may still reap the benefits of said features in 1440p or 4K at reasonable frame rates (>45 fps).

11. Slinkyminx

Slinkyminx Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Strix Vega 64
    Nvidia have found a way... to actually RESET the resolution and frame rate standard (back to shizzle from 10 years ago) increase prices astronomically while simultaneously have people think they're doing us a solid... My GOD they're just... Impressive.

The way we're meant to be played.

Chastity and Dragam1337 like this.
  12. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX2080
    4k is not a standard yet. only about 1-2% of gamers own one according to steam. The standard is still 1080p, its what the mainstream and streamers use with about 60%~ of steam users.

13. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    That's because the majority of gamers have a mid-range GPU. Most people play at the max resolution that their GPU allows (GPU cap) and if their GPU can only do 1080p comfortably then that's what they'll play at.

Slinkyminx and Dragam1337 like this.
  14. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX2080
    i would argue that most people use 1080p because of esports and attempting to get max fps to get an edge on people.

Slinkyminx likes this.
  15. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    The data shows that the majority of gamers play at 1080p and it also shows that the majority have a mid-range GPU. Thus, it is reasonable to conclude that it is mostly mid-range gamers who are playing at 1080p. There is nothing to indicate that most high-end gamers play at 1080p by choice (streamers and competitive gamers are a niche group). Those with a 1080 Ti would most likely be gaming at 1440p or 4K.

Slinkyminx likes this.

16. metagamer

metagamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    Reset the resolution standard?

17. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX2080
    competitive gamers are not a niche, they are the majority.
    I couldn't believe anyone plays fortnight/pubg/dota2/csgo/r6 and not be competitive. Those games are competitive by nature and the big thing is running on lowest most bearable resolutions to get an edge. I still remember when people refused to leave 800x600 in cs1.6 because of frame rate. I mean the second most played resolution is 1366 x 768 which such an odd resolution it just means that people aren't flocking to 4k like everyone wants to believe. Thus it isn't in nvidia's interest to push the 4k dream of being standard.

18. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    768p is typically of laptops (it just means a lot of people play on their laptop). And no offense, but what you are saying about competitive FPS gamers is eerily similar to what competitive Street Fighter 5 players were saying on Steam when the game launched: "why would anyone play a fighting game for single player?". Fighting games are considered one of the most competitive gaming genres, and yet it turns out the majority of the players are casuals (this was proven beyond all doubt by the Street Fighter 5 fiasco). Hell, I could count myself as a casual as well, since I just play for fun and don't particularly care about climbing the online rankings (I basically play casually and watch eSports tournaments when they come around). Competitive gamers always believe that the majority are competitive, and find it unbelievable that someone would play the game casually.

19. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    I think you are mistaking his wording of competitive with 'pro'.

Majority of players are going to 'try' to win.
    That's the nature of being competitive.

You can be a casual player and still be competitive.

Pros are the minority.

Slinkyminx likes this.
  20. DW75

DW75 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ROG GTX1080 Ti OC
    I am certain that next gen, Nvidia is going to drop cores down one sku again. The XX70 and XX80 will both be XX106 cores, instead of it being a drop down for the XX70 only this year. The XX80 Ti will end up being a XX104. The only XX102 card in the future will be a titan. They are going to suck customers dry even worse than they are with Turing. They have set things up where the XX60 cards will now be using a XX116 core. They have now set it up to have the future XX70 and XX80 cards both be using the XX106.

Slinkyminx likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.