1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The RTX 2080Ti Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Netherwind, Aug 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI OC
    I see eBay is already full of Shylocks who preordered and reselling instantly for double the price!

2. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    Yep, both pictures and the video show the dual axial fans just like AIB cards. You'd need to maybe look at the ASUS 2080Ti Turbo blower card. If you look at the fin array in the 2080Ti FE versus the 1080TI FE, they are aligned vertically as opposed to horizontally so a blower can't exhaust out of the case.

3. slick3

slick3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG STRIX GTX 1070
    I could get one. Could.

But I don't want to add this to my list of bad financial decisions. Although the rest has been petty sub $100 craps.

Keitosha likes this.
  4. WeSbO

WeSbO Member Guru

GPU:
    Fury X stock
    Well I guess at these prices it's going to help them get all those 10 series that they have on their hands right now. The inital 20 series stock will probably quite low so those will sell without a problem obviously, there's a shitton of 10 series cards on the market that will be upgraded so they have quite a few batches that are pretty much guaranteed to be sold just by the sheer amount of 10series on the market, even though a lot won't bother until a potential prices reduction or when the upgrade itches them too much.
    And then those who want to upgrade those gtx 7/9 R9 3-4-5 series cards (still a load of them out there) can't afford to get the 20 series will buy those 10 series that will still likely be very close to MSRP be still cheaper than the 20 series (it almost makes them look interesting)
    Pricing makes sense somehow lol

5. WhiskeyOmega

WhiskeyOmega Member Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti
    Its a really weird list of partner custom cards. The Asus blower one makes no sense considering the FE looks like 2 exhaust fans.
    Where are the partner founder cards ? Im guessing this list was approved by Nvidia as a sales tactic.
    Looking at the Asus Strix 2080 i'd say so since there isnt a 2080ti version.
    Im in no rush to jump from my 1080ti strix to either a strix or Lightning Z (when it appears) 2080ti for this price gouging unless it really is worth it
    but the Strix 2080 is actually just shy of the price of a 2080ti Windforce card here in the UK.
    Anyway waiting for benching and decent custom OC cards.

6. Irsh

Irsh Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1070ti
    That's probably what they are thinking. Push the old cards with crazy prices on the newest, but still rape those few who just have to have the latest and greatest. More power to them I guess, but not my money.

7. ESlik

ESlik Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    Thanks for pointing that out. The pic sure looked like the fans would exhaust.

8. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    No problem! I'd hate for you to spend all that money and then find out it isn't what you thought it was. If anybody could look into the idea of a dual fan blower setup, it would be NV and the overpriced FE cards. :)

9. Dagda

Dagda Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti/rtx 2070
    Don't count on me for this gen until prices drop, not even drunk i will pay 1300 for a gimped TU102 chip, for that price i expect the full 102 chip, over and out

10. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    7nm refresh next year? What do you guys think? Maybe that's Ampere. 2X more energy efficient than Turing and small bump in performance?

11. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080Ti
    Yah not buying one of these cards.. my 1080Ti will do just fine for a while. I was pretty shocked at the price, but after looking over all the specs I finally figured out why this thing is soo stupid expensive. The 2080 Ti is a completely massive monster chip..

Seriously we have a minor shrink to the 12nm process but it's 60% bigger die compared to the 1080Ti. Here's a few GPU generations for comparison.

780Ti (28nm) = 561 mm²
    980Ti (28nm) = 601 mm² (increase of 7.13% over last gen)
    1080Ti (16nm) = 471 mm² (decrease of 21.63% over last gen)
    2080Ti (12nm) = 754 mm² (increase of 60.08% over last gen)

The ray-tracing tech is neat and all, but better lighting and shadows isn't worth those prices! Honestly I think these RTX features should have stayed in the Quadro & Tesla GPU models for a few more generations until hitting the consumer cards. Hell when Nvidia first announced RTX I expected we wouldn't even see it in consumer GPUs for 2-3 generations!

12. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080ti
    Im curious why the 2080Ti was released alongside the 2080. nVIDIA could have waited another year to release the 2080Ti when there is nothing in the market that potentially can touch the 2080 now. Could it be there will a faster card releasing in a year? Perhaps a 2085 and a 2085Ti?

13. Maddness

Maddness Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW
    7nm cards are due sometime in 2019.

14. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti
    Too expensive for what it offers. I want to see Benchmarks for current gen games.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  15. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o
    This, benchmarks first.
    Then waterblock availability for me.

Anyways, strictly talking core count and pricing, 2080 SLI is the way to go actually. Surprised me thought tbh.

cryohellinc likes this.

16. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti
    If Nvlink will work as advertised, indeed that IS the way to go down the road as it's the one that makes more sense. Grab one GPU now, grab second later. BUT:
    a) 2080 only 8gb vram
    b) Heat issues = need AIO / Loop
    c) Performance wise single 2080 will probably be slightly above 1080Ti, hence no reason to upgrade at least for those with 1080Ti's.

Looking at the whole situation, it's a bit of a joke right now. Yes, Nvidia has a great product, yes they don't follow the same "schemes" like Intel did which resulted in AMD catching up, market stagnation and milking their clients.

Nvidia as of right now has great products, but they milk people Hard. I do like points people make about 12nm, that it's a process specifically made by TSMC for Nvidia. Which brings up the other point. AMDs 7nm.
    AMD 7nm is supposed to come in 2019, but will it deliver? From past experience performance will be most likely in line with Turing, BUT will it have RayCasting capabilities to compete?

fantaskarsef likes this.
  17. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o
    I quite agree there. I see no real reason to "upgrade" to a 2080 (or 2080Ti) right now, except it still packs an incredible punch compared to 1080Ti in DX11 games.
    That ray tracing is yet a publicity stunt, besides a handful of games (those shown in the demo), probably none will support it until 2020, not that much of a sales argument to me.
    And while I was hoping on some intel on Nvidia's new SLI (still not convinced it's got pooled resources for cross GPU work), sadly there was no info given except that it's now officially an NVlink adapter that costs 50€ and looks ugly.

That's why I too have a hard time liking this new release, never mind the early announcement of the 2080Ti. I still think they did that so they could sell more of the expensive 2080Ti before releasing a Touring refresh on a smaller node late next year.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    cryohellinc likes this.
  18. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti XS OC
    I have a feeling we won't see benchmarks until just before Shadow of the Tomb Raider releases and Nvidia has a new set of drivers.

cryohellinc likes this.
  19. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o
    I guess benchmarks will come around September 20th?
    The important part we're all missing out on is the GPUs performance in non-RTX scenarios, that's what nobody talked about. And for that you don't need SOTR, and I do well hope Nvidia has drivers for their cards at launch...

cryohellinc likes this.
  20. PurSpyk!!

PurSpyk!! Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti X Sli
    Still love my Titan X cards, odd how they did not increase the vram, in gta v in 4k, you can quite easily use almost 12GB vram, these cards should have 16GB or more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.