1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The RTX 2080Ti Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Netherwind, Aug 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    What? You think most PC gamers are pirates? Steam killed PC piracy.

Strawman argument. Most PC gamers don't even know these forums exist and much of us do not actually cry when requirements are higher. A big part of those who bitch do end up buying the game too. It's called bitching for a reason, it's something done for no good reason.

Also, you'd think the marketing departments in these well-versed gaming companies would have realized they shouldn't push for more demanding settings? Why do they keep doing it if it doesn't sell?

Maddness likes this.
  2. pharma

pharma Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    People are paying for the fastest graphics cards available, not for ray-tracing. When you include aspects of the new architecture like DXR there likely won't be any competition for a couple of years as developing ray-tracing on hardware isn't something that's done overnight.
    The combo of DXR and DLSS will be difficult to beat in terms of providing high levels of ray-tracing performance :
    https://www.pcgamesn.com/nvidia-rtx-microsoft-dxr-beyond-next-gen-consoles

3. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    I agree with that guy about the pc only stuff. even if they could get 2 out of every 10 console gamers to go pc only they might even make pc only games nah but its a thought

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Techpowerup hasn't gotten a single thing right so far.

alanm likes this.

5. Seaclean

Seaclean Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB Gaming
    "We’re not looking at its current GCN (Graphics Core Next) hardware being able deliver the sort of 60fps ray traced gameplay the RTX 2080 Ti has been displaying. Sure, we’re only talking about running at 1080p, but that’s still pretty impressive for early demos on first-gen hardware. Even if it’s $1,200 first-gen hardware…"

Was this article sponsored by nVidia or something? They're through and through licking their balls, flat out undermining the concerning aspects about the new GPU (price-performance curve, 1080p backstep)

6. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080Ti SLI
    Yes, and judging by preorder levels stock could well be tight at launch - and you know what that means... prices might actually go UP!!!

Yes, the 980Tis are great cards. Lasted me well. I didn't upgrade due to 1080Ti prices. Clearly that's not got any better, but at least if I jump on RTX the upgrade will be much more significant having skipped a generation!

7. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Master Guru

GPU:
    All console gamers I know buy original games, and all PC gamers I know buy pirates. I bought over 80 steam games lately but I know very few people who buy legal PC games like me, at least in my country.

I still remember when crysis 1 came out, people cried all over the place because game was extremely demanding, although no one forced them to use the highest settings and game run much faster on lower settings. Many PC gamers played crysis 1, but most pirated it. Because of that crytek made their next crysis game with consoles in mind.

Today most PC ports looks very similar to console games, the main difference is AA, framerste and higher resolution, but developers rarely include much better settings like for example rockstar did in GTA 5. Many people blame consoles for that but like I have said before without consoles there would be no AAA games on PC anymore because of insane developing costs. Developers have free will and they can use PC hardware resources whatever they want. If they dont care about PC gaming and port their game the easiest way possible (30fps lock, no proper PC settings, bad performance despite dated graphics), then blame developers for slowing graphics progress in games.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  8. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    All the PC gamers that I know buy their games (sounds like you're hanging out with the wrong crowd), it's just that most of them wait for sales or bargains before splashing out, which is why the Steam sales are such a big thing (bought most of my games during these sales). At any rate, saying that there would be no AAA games on PC is ludicrous. Games like GTA 5 sold massively on PC (helps that it was done right, unlike many other ports). Also, when devs make bad PC ports of console games then it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy - PC gamers don't want to shell out top dollars for a badly done port and will likely hold off a purchase until it's fixed, encouraging devs to prioritize consoles.

I remember Crysis 1 as well, but I also remember piracy issues with the original PlayStation. Mod chips became popular in order for console players to play copied/pirated games so it's not like console gamers have a squeaky clean reputation. The most likely explanation for the focus on consoles is that it's a more accessible gaming platform. Consoles are easy to set up and are relatively cheap compared to a comparable PC (at least one built from scratch - upgrades are much cheaper) and console makers put a heavy emphasis on exclusives (it's currently the primary draw of the PS4).

9. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Master Guru

GPU:
    In my native country most people earn around 400 euro/month so orignal games arnt cheap, and like I have said most people I know pirate PC games (but maybe it's different in your country). PS1 and PS2 were consoles from ancient times, times when developers could make AAA game for the fraction of the todays costs, but I have never heard any of my friend pirated PS3 games, or PS4 for that matter, and all console users I know buy original games these days. That's starking contrast to all PC users I know.

Here's COD Black Ops 3 salles on consoles and PC, the difference in sales is HUGE.
    https://www.ubergizmo.com/2015/11/91-percent-sales-black-ops-3-console/

Maybe GTA 5 sales were impressive compared to other PC games, but it was nothing compared to sales on consoles. GTA 5 cost $265 Million to make, and something tells me rockstar would never make that kind of money on PC platform alone.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    cryohellinc likes this.
  10. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Maha Guru

GPU:
    1080 Gaming X SLI
    The amount of piracy entirely depends on what country you live in, and it scales with the average wage of the country.

https://www.pcgamer.com/pc-piracy-survey-results-35-percent-of-pc-gamers-pirate/

11. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    I'm pretty sure, at the very least, GTAV made money on PC. For the last 2 dozen months or so, every time the steam sales charts are on the Guru3D frontpage, GTAV has been listed. Myself and all of the people I live with and/or play games with have purchased our games, but we do all live in the USA.

On a different note, I hope this thread gets wiped clean or a new *official* one is started once the actual GPU and reviews have come out. We are going to have ~50 pages of nonsense built up in here by the time people actually receive a new GPU!

jbscotchman likes this.
  12. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Master Guru

GPU:
    At 14th I hope to hear some more info about DLSS feature because I still dont understand what it will actually do precisely. It's just some new AA method, or maybe it's upscaling method similar to checkerboard? Also what about RTX 2070 reviews

13. Slinkyminx

Slinkyminx Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Strix Vega 64
    Performance/£

:(

Nothing wrong with purchasing these cards, hell I would .. if it had really much of anything to offer ;o;

AS LONG as you know, you're ... well like a vegan to a meat eater, you're stagnating progress.

:O

Make the connection, IF YOU CAN

14. Jeparisoe

Jeparisoe Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Just saw an article that said the NDA lift for the 2080 will now be on the 19th..... That bodes well.

cryohellinc likes this.
  15. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti

16. pharma

pharma Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    New tidbits ....
    INT32 Cores
    Turing architecture adds new execution unit (INT32). This unit will enable Turing GPUs to execute floating point and non-floating point processes in parallel. NVIDIA claims that this should theoretically provide 36% additional throughout for floating point operations.

The parallel execution will be possible thanks to new unified architecture for shared L1 memory and texture caching. NVIDIA claims that INT32/FP32 core design and other changes to the new streaming multiprocessor, provide “50% improvement in delivered performance per CUDA core”.

New Shading Advancements

• Mesh Shading — new shader model for vertex, tesselation, geometry shading (more objects per scene)
    • Variable Rate Shading (VRS) — developer control over shading rates (to limit shading where it does not provide visual benefit)
    • Texture-Space Sharing — Storing shading results in memory (no need to duplicate sharing work for the processes)
    • Multi-View Rendering (MVR) — Extends Pascal’s Single Pass Stereo to multi views in a single pass
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 is the only graphics card from the new series to utilize the full silicon. It is not, as previously speculated, based on cut-down TU104. NVIDIA confirmed that their new xx70 model will, in fact, feature TU106 GPU.

Specs-wise, Turing TU102 essentially doubles the specs of TU106. The TU104 is the only Turing chip to feature four TPCs per cluster (unlike TU102 and TU106 which have 6 per GPC).

Is TU106 a mid-range chip?
    According to NVIDIA’s own naming convention, the TU106 should be a mid-range chip. What is worth noting, however, is that TU106 GPU is 131 mm2 bigger compared to GP104 (Pascal). The theory is that NVIDIA shifted TU100 to TU102 and TU102 to TU104 respectively. As long as die-size is considered, the TU106 could’ve easily been a high-end chip.

17. DW75

DW75 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ROG GTX1080 Ti OC
    I said a week ago that they were going to push the review date forward so that people would not cancel their orders when they discovered the truth about the performance of these cards. I also said that the RTX 2070 would use the TU106. Nvidia is charging 600 US for a midrange chip. I was called a tinfoil hat shill. I was right all along.

18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    And you continue to be a tinfoil hattist.

nvidia doesn't care if you keep your preorder or not, they already got their money through the AIBs and secondary card manufacturers.

The cards are late for some reviewers, nvidia moved the goal post to keep the playing field even.

pharma likes this.
  19. DW75

DW75 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ROG GTX1080 Ti OC
    I already put you on ignore. You are just talking to yourself now.

20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Your narcissism works against you, i know for a fact you read every post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.