The RTX 2080Ti Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Netherwind, Aug 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I think it's very expensive to manufacture and/or their yields are low. I obviously can't say for certain but this thing feels like Nvidia's iPhone X. Maybe a future series will have down to earth prices.

2. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Personally, I don't think the interest in these cards has much to do with RTX and that's why Nvidia spent the entire presentation pushing it; in order to generate interest.

Sadly what was on show was not that impressive.

I should qualify that; the technology is impressive, but what we were shown on screen was not and what it brings to the table is definitely a step backwards for those of us who are more interested in a solid 4K @ 60FPS across the board.

I have also kept my pre-orders for the moment but I may well use the money for the Fanatec DD2 and accessories and just skip this generation if the overall performance is only 20-25% better than the 1080Ti.

It is better but it's not enough to justify the doubling of price and the amount of other gear that I can buy with the same money is vast.

In the final analysis, 25% non RTX performance and a new technology that really isn't where it needs to be for mainstream adoption is not enough to justify the price tag.

I was hoping for a 50% non RTX performance gain, I would have settled for 40% but 25% is not enough.

We'll see, but if the leaks are to be believed, these are underwhelming cards for the money.

Slinkyminx and Dragam1337 like this.
  3. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Would explain if pre-orders are shipping before NDA deadline.

4. Slinkyminx

Slinkyminx Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    Nvidia are just testing the market. (That's us, us right here in this thread)

5. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Forbes take on RTX 2080
    Sep 5, 2018

6. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 SUP
    Vega is looking like an alternative, also isnt Intel releasing a GPU soon?

XenthorX likes this.
  7. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Haven't read "Soon" anywhere :p Boy they really pushed those review embargo late..!

jaggerwild likes this.
  8. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    I have heard the 17th mentioned for the review release date of the 1080 and 20th for the 2080Ti.

XenthorX likes this.
  9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    it wouldn't matter if they did, refunds are a thing.

so i don't see your scare mongering being anything more than just that.

BangTail likes this.
  10. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    While I do agree and want to see if Vega20 really is showing something in AMD's sleaves for gamers, we know nothing about both Turing and Vega, no real benchmarks out for either, hardly anything to talk about actually :)
    And Intel wants to hit the market by 2020 iirc, so we're still years off to see them even trying to bring a GPU that is useful for gamers.

XenthorX, jaggerwild and cryohellinc like this.

11. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    A canceled order is much better for the retailer then a return. Because returned hardware can no longer be sold as unopened/original.

The NDA dates are as follows anyway:
    Sept 14th, general Turing architecture
    Sept 17th, 2080 Review
    Sept 19th, 2080 Ti Reviews
    Sept 20th, Official Release

In my experience the cards don't ship until the release day, so you could still cancel on the 19th if you want to (YMMV). Of course if you pre-order only to cancel when reading the review, you should probably reconsider your pre-ordering habbits.

12. Jeparisoe

Jeparisoe Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Honestly, I pre-ordered a 2080 and I was definitely hoping to see some reviews first.

I will probably keep it because I am rocking a GTX 970 and I have been waiting years to buy a new card. Also, there is no way I am going to buy year or 2 year old hardware at this point, so that strictly removes all of AMD and all of the 10 series cards for me. So my choices are wait again...... another year, or buy the new one now.

XenthorX likes this.
  13. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 SUP
    Yuu dont even know what performance gains(if any) your buying? There $800 you really wanna be a betta tester?

14. Jeparisoe

Jeparisoe Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Do I want to be a beta tester, not really. Do I want to actually have a new video card in hand by the end of this month, overwhelmingly yes. I have been waiting too long and I am not going to wait another year for another card to come out, which I will probably buy then anyways(if the gains are big enough).

15. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Just sold my 1080 today, considering my options (1080-ti/2080/2080-ti). I don't intend to preorder anything as i'm really opened to every options.

I need a card for my dual 4K monitor setup by the end of the month and that is a fact !

-Tj- likes this.

16. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    Doing a similar thing. Just put my 980tis up for sale. Not exactly sure which way I'm gonna go yet, but I've waited out an upgrade for ages so I'm definately grabbing something in the next few weeks!

-Tj- likes this.
  17. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Depending on stock, you may be forced to buy a 1080Ti if you must have a GPU by the end of the month. I'm interested in seeing how the 2080Ti does in traditional 4k gaming, but after potentially good reviews we may have a hard time getting one.

XenthorX likes this.
  18. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    Thanks to GDDR6, the memory bandwidth is still above the 1060 however, which only had 192 GB/s, while this one has 224 GB/s (if the specs are real).

This is quite nonsense as well. 1536 cuda cores is a 20% increase in cores over a 1060 (the same percentage increase a 1070 -> 2070 gets, and the 1080 -> 2080 gets even slightly less, only 15%).

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  19. Slinkyminx

Slinkyminx Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    Oh man.... 980 Ti, The last great card, IMO. Brings back great, GREAT memories from 2016, 980 Ti SLI, loved it.

What has happened ;o; I payed £424 for each card... before anybody mentions the 1080... for £650.. on a good day.

Well boys... I'm really doing it, I am voting with my wallet. Nvidia are wrecking progress in gaming more than consoles.

*ducks*

I won't answer... so don't bother.

20. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Guest

GPU:
    You blame consoles for small garaphics progress? IMO if not consoles we would not see AAA games on PC at all, because no developer would spend millions of dollars into PC in order to develop AAA games when very few people here buy original copies. Also if most PC games would not cry when requirements are higher, then I'm sure developers would include much better graphics settings their PC ports. Right now people are crying when game is not running in 4K and 60fps, so of course developers are not including more demanding settings. I'm sure games like shadow of the tomb raider and new metro will be criticized for ther requirements because these games will use the latest technology.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.