1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The RTX 2080Ti Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Netherwind, Aug 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. user1

user1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    hd 6870
    I'm not sure they can sell it for much less than what its priced at, the die on the TI is huge, 754mm^2 , yields are not gonna be good. the die is 60% larger than the gp102 on a very similar process node. at 754mm^2 you are looking at only 93~ chips perwafer (300mm wafer ) vs 150~ ,for gp102, so not only are you getting less chips per wafer, each chip has a much higher risk of being at least partially defective

margins for nvidia are gonna be lower than the pascal cards even with the price increase imo.

HandR, LuckyNumber8 and Maddness like this.
  2. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    I was wondering when somebody would bring this up. The pricing increase for Turing versus Pascal seems to be more in line with die size increase, not raw rasterization performance increase.

3. Lemonking

Lemonking Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti FE
    wow I cant believe cards are shipping to pre-order customers in a few days and we still haven't gotten real benches or reviews.
    Doesn't Nvidia ship cards out early to folks at Guru3d or Tomshardware?

4. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    Many
    Only delusion going on here is Team Green thinking I'm buying it. WOW it cost money to develop GPU'S, I can't recall ordering Ray tracing.
    They are a company, as such in it to make money(bottom line)I understand simple economics. BUT when you go from $799 to over $1000 LOLZ! I can get a simple AMD card CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP pretend it's Nvidia bam WIN WIN! $299
    OH DERN THAT DOESN"T MAKE ME Popular :eek:

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018

5. Maddness

Maddness Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW
    It's what happens with a lack of competition in the high end market. Until AMD or Intel can come up with something similar, we have to put up with it. Vote with your wallet

fantaskarsef and Slinkyminx like this.
  6. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080ti MSI X TRIO
    You could just not buy it. No one is forcing you to. I get that the prices suck but personally I'm glad this card came out as I would much rather have this, a card that seems to crush 4k ultra with way more than 60fps which is my target fps so I can sit comfortably without having to upgrade as fast. Much better than my overpriced 1080ti that could barely even run 4k ultra 60fps.

pharma, LuckyNumber8 and Maddness like this.
  7. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti Gaming X
    Wonder what's recommended if one wants an AIO cooler?

8. Maddness

Maddness Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW
    I would suspect EVGA to come out with one. Probably MSI too.

9. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Master Guru

GPU:
    And have you ordered shaders, tessellation and other graphics effects? No, someone has to introduce new things like that.

4 years ago I remember watching brigade ray tracing tech demo running in 720p and HUGE noise

Back then I thought to myself it would be so cool to see something similar in games in 20 years time. I would never expect something similar in 4 years time :p.

I will be extremely impressed if games will start looking close to that in near future. Even if I will not buy RTX 2080ti personally (it's too expensive for me at the moment) I hope RTX technology will adopt and change graphics quality in games forever.

Here's quake 2, and with raytracing lighting it looks sometimes better than quake 4 released many years later :p. So you can see how CRUCIAL raytracing is in order to graphics, even if new games will be too demanding for RTX effects at full, I think old games like quake 1/2, half life 1 (maybe even 2) could look like remasters with RTX implemented by some moders :). I cant wait to see how games in near future will look like

cowie likes this.
  10. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti Gaming X
    I saw the EVGA Hybrid, looks nice. But isn't it cheaper to put one on myself?

11. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o
    Oh we share that feeling then... ;)

Netherwind likes this.
  12. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    They probably do ship samples to reviewers. But there would still be a embargo in place which prevents posting the reviews until a defined date (which as one part ensures that all reviewers have time to do those reviews properly, instead of rushing things through to get the first article up for clicks). I heard rumors that the embargo date is the 14th. But it may be release day.

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    i see ignorance.

14. TheKid76

TheKid76 Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    ALL the pre orders of the RTX 2080 TI at newegg are sold out :eek:

15. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    This.

Ray Tracing would not be introduced this early (1080p60) unless there was no competition. Not just vs. AMD, but consoles as well. Sony already said 2020 for PS5 and MS is looking at Fall 2019 or Spring of 2020. That means essentially, this is a "useless" gpu cycle. Console games are usually at direct parity on PC, so your 10xx cards will still handle whatever ports come over (after 14 patches, I'm sure).

This is a series that nVidia already forceasted and has to go through with, proof is in the fact so many places are still oversupplied with 10xx cards due to the bitcoin mining frenzy. Yet these still remain on schedule. So what can nvidia do? They use this time to mature something like Ray Tracing. Developers get to play with it. See what they can do with it. Nvidia gets feedback, and the RTX 30XX or whatever will be the card everyone foams at the mouth for.

I'm still holding onto the 2080 vanilla preorder. I can still cancel it. And it's looking more and more likely I am going to do so. I have a huge interest in tinkering with ray tracing, but I have absolutely no interest in doing anything not in 4K these days. If the 2080 vanilla can give a decent boost over the 1080 Ti in 4k gaming without RTX, I'll keep it.

We'll see.

To those complaining about reviews and the cards coming out in mere days....you're over exaggerating a bit. Still 2 weeks before anything ships. Plenty of time for reviews.

Hilbert's MP BFV review shows the 1080 Ti holding a decent frame rate at 4K. So that's weighing in now as well. 4k is my priority, not ray tracing.

DerSchniffles and Slinkyminx like this.

16. Slinkyminx

Slinkyminx Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Strix Vega 64

I like this man

SerotoNiN likes this.
  17. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I think it's very expensive to manufacture and/or their yields are low. I obviously can't say for certain but this thing feels like Nvidia's iPhone X. Maybe a future series will have down to earth prices.

18. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Personally, I don't think the interest in these cards has much to do with RTX and that's why Nvidia spent the entire presentation pushing it; in order to generate interest.

Sadly what was on show was not that impressive.

I should qualify that; the technology is impressive, but what we were shown on screen was not and what it brings to the table is definitely a step backwards for those of us who are more interested in a solid 4K @ 60FPS across the board.

I have also kept my pre-orders for the moment but I may well use the money for the Fanatec DD2 and accessories and just skip this generation if the overall performance is only 20-25% better than the 1080Ti.

It is better but it's not enough to justify the doubling of price and the amount of other gear that I can buy with the same money is vast.

In the final analysis, 25% non RTX performance and a new technology that really isn't where it needs to be for mainstream adoption is not enough to justify the price tag.

I was hoping for a 50% non RTX performance gain, I would have settled for 40% but 25% is not enough.

We'll see, but if the leaks are to be believed, these are underwhelming cards for the money.

Slinkyminx and Dragam1337 like this.
  19. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    Would explain if pre-orders are shipping before NDA deadline.

20. Slinkyminx

Slinkyminx Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Strix Vega 64
    Nvidia are just testing the market. (That's us, us right here in this thread)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.