The RTX 2080Ti Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Netherwind, Aug 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pharma

pharma Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/battlefield-v-ray-tracing,37732.html

2. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA

Nope, nobody has either of the cards. They will be shipped next week.

cowie, fantaskarsef, Maddness and 2 others like this.
  3. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    That's simply the Turkish YT Leak charted up, which I believe to be is a hoax.

4. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Master Guru

GPU:
    But right now we have 2 leaks and both show similar results for example in far cry 5. Actual numbers are impressive but not that that much impressive if you consider price difference. That 20-55% for almost double the price doesnt look like a good investment, although there are some people that can easily afford that kind of money.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    Dragam1337 likes this.

5. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080Ti
    Maybe one copied the other? :)

Somewhere deep down I hope that this magic driver from nVidia combined with the 2080Ti OC will beat the 1080Ti OC by on average 40-50% which would then justify the price.

fantaskarsef and LuckyNumber8 like this.
  6. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Master Guru

GPU:
    You right because some benchmarks suggest just 22% increase and that could be very well result of bad drivers. So anyway although early results looks promising we still need to wait for official reviews :). I hope Guru3d will test the witcher 3 in 4K, and maybe even with HW on. There's no need to test other cards with HW on, but I just want to know if 2080ti with OC will finally run that game really maxed out with 60fps average, because it would be something impressive :)

7. klepp0906

klepp0906 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 2080TI
    doesnt that very chart show its more omplicated than that? I mean witcher 3 is how many years old now and it isnt doing 60 at 4k? and for 1200 bucks?

See ya's next gen ^

Here i was almost bought into the "prices are crazy right now due to miners1111" thing. Yea, dreams crushed. Prices are crazy because nvidia doesnt realize, a line exists. and 1200 dollars for 1 component that makes up PART of a computer thats required as a whole to use it, and that will be obselete rather quickly relative-to... is going to cause issues in the long haul. Greed all but has no bounds however. Instead of an amazing 25% profit margin relative to how many they could sell, they demand a 60% margin and will sell a fraction. But, shits given are disappearing rapidly.

I mean its not even out yet and have you seen contestation and contention like this in recent memory? I sure havent.

Enjoy the card to those buying. If i was running like.. a maxwell still - it would probably be more appealing. Or if someone wanted to give me one. 800 would cause me some pain and distress. This is appalling.

The Phoenix likes this.
  8. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 SUP
    30% gaming increase, 60% price jump....nope nothing wrong here!!!

Slinkyminx likes this.
  9. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Master Guru

GPU:
    I dont know how much nvidia have invested into developing their new GPU's, but it sure was insane amount of money so of course they will sell their GPU
    at much higher price than production and material costs alone. Because no one can shrink GPU's forever, and because it's hard to invent some groundbreaking technology I expect even higher prices with each new generation unfortunately. It looks like Intel already hit a wall, and cant invent anything groundbreaking since i7 :(

pharma likes this.
  10. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 SUP
    I smell Fan Boy^^

11. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Master Guru

GPU:
    I'm not defending Nvidia because price increase is very big but I'm just being realistic. If you think developing GPU is easier and cheaper with each year you are delusional.

pharma likes this.
  12. K.S.

K.S. Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GEFORCE RTX 2080 Ti
    With Pascal - they monetized that asset continuously for the past few years with major success. This likely put NVIDIA in their current stance in the marketplace far as cost (As well as their history). They have been the highest performing GPU manufacturer. There has not been recent coequal competition.

Irregardless of yields at the plant, other factors etc they have to study and weigh what consumers will be willing to spend in a given market/economy. Risk-assessment for return of their investment based on price to performance ratios are a major factor long-term. It has to deliver - lest we recall Bulldozer.

All of this remains to be seen as until actual "proof of concept" (reviews / real-world benchmarks) are given - no one knows how this will play out. I have opinions (like believing it's over-priced & hype etc. Those are just my opinions - not facts. They may be invalidated post review embargo.

If the performance justifies the cost at enough of a percentage, people will likely sell what they own to mitigate the cost of purchasing the newer tech. If it underperforms or rather does not perform at the suggested figures - they will need to adjust / AIBs will need to adjust cost. An example is what AMD did with Bulldozer when it was hyped and underperformed.

Hopefully (as irregardless of the company behind it) NVIDIA did not make that mistake as I want tech to evolve. Yet because of the way it has been presented by NVIDIA thus far my opinions have been lackluster.

EDIT: This post does not touch on the "niche" factor that will always pre-order or "fan-boys" as some refer to them that will purchase certain OEM products at launch no matter what, as well as reviewers of course.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  13. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    hd 6870
    I'm not sure they can sell it for much less than what its priced at, the die on the TI is huge, 754mm^2 , yields are not gonna be good. the die is 60% larger than the gp102 on a very similar process node. at 754mm^2 you are looking at only 93~ chips perwafer (300mm wafer ) vs 150~ ,for gp102, so not only are you getting less chips per wafer, each chip has a much higher risk of being at least partially defective

margins for nvidia are gonna be lower than the pascal cards even with the price increase imo.

HandR, LuckyNumber8 and Maddness like this.
  14. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 Ti GX Trio
    I was wondering when somebody would bring this up. The pricing increase for Turing versus Pascal seems to be more in line with die size increase, not raw rasterization performance increase.

15. Lemonking

Lemonking Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti FE
    wow I cant believe cards are shipping to pre-order customers in a few days and we still haven't gotten real benches or reviews.
    Doesn't Nvidia ship cards out early to folks at Guru3d or Tomshardware?

16. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 SUP
    Only delusion going on here is Team Green thinking I'm buying it. WOW it cost money to develop GPU'S, I can't recall ordering Ray tracing.
    They are a company, as such in it to make money(bottom line)I understand simple economics. BUT when you go from $799 to over $1000 LOLZ! I can get a simple AMD card CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP pretend it's Nvidia bam WIN WIN! $299
    OH DERN THAT DOESN"T MAKE ME Popular :eek:

17. Maddness

Maddness Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix RX 480
    It's what happens with a lack of competition in the high end market. Until AMD or Intel can come up with something similar, we have to put up with it. Vote with your wallet

fantaskarsef and Slinkyminx like this.
  18. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080ti MSI X TRIO
    You could just not buy it. No one is forcing you to. I get that the prices suck but personally I'm glad this card came out as I would much rather have this, a card that seems to crush 4k ultra with way more than 60fps which is my target fps so I can sit comfortably without having to upgrade as fast. Much better than my overpriced 1080ti that could barely even run 4k ultra 60fps.

pharma, LuckyNumber8 and Maddness like this.
  19. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080Ti
    Wonder what's recommended if one wants an AIO cooler?

20. Maddness

Maddness Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix RX 480
    I would suspect EVGA to come out with one. Probably MSI too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.