1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The RTX 2080Ti Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Netherwind, Aug 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    That looks like 3dcenter

fantaskarsef likes this.
  2. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti Gaming X
    I woke up this morning and checked prices to see if it was all a bad dream and the 2080Ti would cost the ~899$ it should cost, but no...it's still a bad dream.

Afaik nVidia holds their 20XX driver locked up in Fort Knox :D So everything so far is most likely old drivers. Pretty clever of them since they know that all leaks so far are made up numbers and it's only when reviewers like Guru3D get the drivers that real leaks might appear.

3. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Master Guru

GPU:
    Thank you. Results looks very similar to previous charts from YT. Price aside performance is clearly much better compared to 1080ti, and with OC 2080ti should run most demanding games in 4K at 60fps (of course besides "gems" like quantum braek that murder 1080ti even in 1080p with upscaling settings turned off :p).

4. pharma

pharma Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    @Voxilla's initial DXR work on measuring Gigarays/sec on existing GPU hardware:
    Follow up on @Voxilla's investigation on raytracing and DXR fallback:

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    Tom Peterson said their RT performance numbers come from an aggregate of multiple real world testing and not a single synthetic benchmark. I'd be curious to see how an "optimized" DXR fallback config works in a real world game vs Microsoft's samples.

6. pharma

pharma Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Tom P. did not indicate the method they used to derive any performance numbers, but "game" numbers will ultimately depend on developer optimizations. @Voxilla's work indicates the MS raytrace sample code can be further optimized towards better Gigaray/s performance.

Further DXR fallback performance optimizations may also come from yet-to-be released GPU drivers, but the Microsoft raytracing sample demo provides a good start for "apples-to-apples" comparisons across IHV hardware.

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    fixed

8. pharma

pharma Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/battlefield-v-ray-tracing,37732.html

9. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA

Nope, nobody has either of the cards. They will be shipped next week.

cowie, fantaskarsef, Maddness and 2 others like this.
  10. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    That's simply the Turkish YT Leak charted up, which I believe to be is a hoax.

11. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Master Guru

GPU:
    But right now we have 2 leaks and both show similar results for example in far cry 5. Actual numbers are impressive but not that that much impressive if you consider price difference. That 20-55% for almost double the price doesnt look like a good investment, although there are some people that can easily afford that kind of money.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    Dragam1337 likes this.
  12. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti Gaming X
    Maybe one copied the other? :)

Somewhere deep down I hope that this magic driver from nVidia combined with the 2080Ti OC will beat the 1080Ti OC by on average 40-50% which would then justify the price.

fantaskarsef and LuckyNumber8 like this.
  13. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Master Guru

GPU:
    You right because some benchmarks suggest just 22% increase and that could be very well result of bad drivers. So anyway although early results looks promising we still need to wait for official reviews :). I hope Guru3d will test the witcher 3 in 4K, and maybe even with HW on. There's no need to test other cards with HW on, but I just want to know if 2080ti with OC will finally run that game really maxed out with 60fps average, because it would be something impressive :)

14. klepp0906

klepp0906 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 2080TI
    doesnt that very chart show its more omplicated than that? I mean witcher 3 is how many years old now and it isnt doing 60 at 4k? and for 1200 bucks?

See ya's next gen ^

Here i was almost bought into the "prices are crazy right now due to miners1111" thing. Yea, dreams crushed. Prices are crazy because nvidia doesnt realize, a line exists. and 1200 dollars for 1 component that makes up PART of a computer thats required as a whole to use it, and that will be obselete rather quickly relative-to... is going to cause issues in the long haul. Greed all but has no bounds however. Instead of an amazing 25% profit margin relative to how many they could sell, they demand a 60% margin and will sell a fraction. But, shits given are disappearing rapidly.

I mean its not even out yet and have you seen contestation and contention like this in recent memory? I sure havent.

Enjoy the card to those buying. If i was running like.. a maxwell still - it would probably be more appealing. Or if someone wanted to give me one. 800 would cause me some pain and distress. This is appalling.

The Phoenix likes this.
  15. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    Many
    30% gaming increase, 60% price jump....nope nothing wrong here!!!

Slinkyminx likes this.

16. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Master Guru

GPU:
    I dont know how much nvidia have invested into developing their new GPU's, but it sure was insane amount of money so of course they will sell their GPU
    at much higher price than production and material costs alone. Because no one can shrink GPU's forever, and because it's hard to invent some groundbreaking technology I expect even higher prices with each new generation unfortunately. It looks like Intel already hit a wall, and cant invent anything groundbreaking since i7 :(

pharma likes this.
  17. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    Many
    I smell Fan Boy^^

18. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Master Guru

GPU:
    I'm not defending Nvidia because price increase is very big but I'm just being realistic. If you think developing GPU is easier and cheaper with each year you are delusional.

pharma likes this.
  19. DW75

DW75 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ROG GTX1080 Ti OC
    Nvidia is off their rocker here. The majority of people who buy an XX80 Ti level card are not playing at 1080P. They think that people are going to be happy with stepping down from 4K, 3K, 1440P ultra wide, or 1440P all the way to 1080P just to be able to enable this ray tracing ? This is complete nonsense. At this point, it is nothing but a fad. People who game on high resolution monitors will not even bother. They will test it out a couple times, just to see what it is like. After that, they will just disable it. Ray tracing is the first thing people buying these cards will disable, in order to get the framerate they expect back. They think they can convince gamers that the new norm will be to pay 1200 US for a 1080P experience, while using the new tech, and that turning it off is just inferior. This tech is not ready for prime time. The prices of these cards are appalling. Nvidia has reuploaded their RTX card launch video about about 6 times now. They are trying to hide the backlash from people posting negative comments. They really did not give gamers enough credit with this launch. They thought that the majority would accept obscene pricing and lower performance as the new standard. Now the race to 4K at 60 fps has to start all over again. With ray tracing enabled, it will take 6-8 years to get there. Even though I own a 1080 Ti, I can't stand this greedy company. How they have conducted themselves with this new launch is beyond shady. I hope that AMD comes out with something high end soon, and at the correct price, because the market needs to be put back in check.

Mufflore and Slinkyminx like this.
  20. K.S.

K.S. Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 GAMING OC
    With Pascal - they monetized that asset continuously for the past few years with major success. This likely put NVIDIA in their current stance in the marketplace far as cost (As well as their history). They have been the highest performing GPU manufacturer. There has not been recent coequal competition.

Irregardless of yields at the plant, other factors etc they have to study and weigh what consumers will be willing to spend in a given market/economy. Risk-assessment for return of their investment based on price to performance ratios are a major factor long-term. It has to deliver - lest we recall Bulldozer.

All of this remains to be seen as until actual "proof of concept" (reviews / real-world benchmarks) are given - no one knows how this will play out. I have opinions (like believing it's over-priced & hype etc. Those are just my opinions - not facts. They may be invalidated post review embargo.

If the performance justifies the cost at enough of a percentage, people will likely sell what they own to mitigate the cost of purchasing the newer tech. If it underperforms or rather does not perform at the suggested figures - they will need to adjust / AIBs will need to adjust cost. An example is what AMD did with Bulldozer when it was hyped and underperformed.

Hopefully (as irregardless of the company behind it) NVIDIA did not make that mistake as I want tech to evolve. Yet because of the way it has been presented by NVIDIA thus far my opinions have been lackluster.

EDIT: This post does not touch on the "niche" factor that will always pre-order or "fan-boys" as some refer to them that will purchase certain OEM products at launch no matter what, as well as reviewers of course.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.