The RTX 2080Ti Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Netherwind, Aug 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT/GTX 1060
    @BangTail
    BS, wait until they are released and properly benched.

P.S. Fantastic, you are already an owner of Two GTX 2080Ti's! However, I think you got scammed, as those are supposed to be RTX which aren't out yet. ;)

XenthorX likes this.
  2. DW75

DW75 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ROG GTX1080 Ti OC
    Well, I am selling my Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME, and I just got myself a brand new Asus ROG STRIX GTX 1080 Ti O11G GAMING for an awesome price. I just can't tolerate these prices for the new RTX cards. This will give me a solid 30-35 percent improvement for high res gaming, so I am happy. I will have it in a few days.

3. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
  4. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super

5. michael_d

michael_d Active Member

GPU:
    FE RTX 2080 Ti
    I am very curious what changes, improvements Nvlink will bring. nVidia and developers have been mum on this.

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    nvlink info will be provided when the nda lifts

7. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Maha Guru

GPU:
    1080 Gaming X SLI
    Well RTX is completely new, and drivers are still being finished - i am almost willing to bet that going forward, nvidia will be blocking the use of the RTX cores by anything other than their own proprietary RT software.

BangTail likes this.
  8. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    I still can't believe that... I mean, if it's true, it's a worthy upgrade... might pull me in anyway... but until I see benchmarks I'm not even going to click a preorder that I could cancel.

9. Slinkyminx

Slinkyminx Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Strix Vega 64
    It's just a cop out by Nvidia, again. with 4K becoming very common Nvidia are literally crying they had to do something to take the attention away from high res high details high FPS gaming, or they would have to release ahead of schedule. They already had to step it up a notch with the 10 series, there answer was simple. 50% price increase which some how not many people noticed the lunacy of that. The lunacy of all this. Nvidia trick people and mess with peoples minds, the people that DEFEND or fanboy them are the ones which fall for it.

I had 980Ti SLI a 1080 and then a 1080 Ti, however, I cannot do it anymore, I can;t bring myself to give them any money - I just can't.

AMD and Freesync for me now. Time to take a stand.

shoja and Singleton99 like this.
  10. Slinkyminx

Slinkyminx Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Strix Vega 64
    Exactly, but even if it is a SEMI DECENT step up, in good old fashioned frame rate, I am sure you have noticed you're just..... paying more.

To see what Nvidia do, there is one simple thing to look at, which somehow everyone doesn;t notice, and that's performce/$ (Or performance/£ etc) THAT'S how Nvidia is screwing everyone right in plain sight.

11. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Master Guru

GPU:
    I think prices will go up even more with every year, because it's much harder to shrink GPU's (they cant do it forever) and invent some new groundbreaking technologies that would increase performance. Right now 4K is becoming a new standard yet even 1080ti cant provide 60fps in every game. On 1080ti with 2GHz I couldnt play rise of the tomb raider maxed out at 60 fps (45-60fps) and I'm sure even 1200$ 2080ti will not run every game at 4K maxed out perfectly. So of course I understand why so many people would prefer more CUDA cores rather than RTX and tensor cores.

12. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    I think if it was conclusively 50% across the board, it would have been mentioned.

Many people are not pre ordering because of the lack of non RTX performance metrics, if that number were true, it would have been disclosed.

My guess is that it is 50% in one game if you are standing on your head with 2 fingers touching a table lamp, your underwear on backwards and a wooden spoon up your a$$.

Of course, we will just have to wait and see.

Dragam1337 likes this.
  13. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Tin spoon, tin spoon! :D

Yeah that's why I can't believe they're that good, they would have put those numbers into any presentations we've seen so far, there's a reason why they have a NDA in place for another two weeks.

14. pharma

pharma Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Since pre-orders are actually shipped 6 days after reviews people can always cancel their order can't they? Or is there something I'm missing?
    It seems Nvidia is quite confident of their product otherwise review date and availability date would coincide.

15. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    Suuure. Because they are a small company, they really don't have resources to make it proprietary from the start before working with all the developers on all these engines..

16. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    What? No, it's not a coprocessor. There are RT cores inside each SM along with the regular FP cores as well as the DL cores. How is this relevant to the scheduling difference between AMD GCN and Nvidia Kepler / Maxwell / Pascal? How exactly do you suggest this architecture become more parallel?

Noisiv and pharma like this.
  17. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Eh? I thought pre-orders exceeded available inventory? Also, even if the performance difference was low (20% non-RTX) I think people would have still pre-ordered. The hype for the 20-series has been building all year long and there are always people who are willing to shell out to have the best (their e-peen demands it). I mean, if there are whales who are willing to pay thousands of dollars in pay-to-win loot boxes, then there are certainly enough people willing to pay a thousand dollars to have the best hardware.

18. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Yah, you can cancel your pre-order and most places have a no-hassle return policy even if you receive the cards and decide you don't want them.

I still think they would have made more noise about an all encompassing 50% non RTX performance jump.

Dragam1337 likes this.
  19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    man I remember when I play 139$ for 9800gt, which was equivalent to xx80 series atlest back then, prices have gone insane since, not comparing performance here I comparing the series price back then to to same series equivalent today where prices are just crazy.

or maybe I seeing things wrong series wise. yes performance of the 9800gtx vs 1080gtx are night and day, but to they same series in my eye, just upgrade performance with jacked up prices.

Kasp likes this.
  20. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080Ti
    The 9800GT was basically just a rebranded 8800GT with a die shrink hence why it was soo cheap. That particular generation didnt have a new GPU architecture it was just a die shrink if I remember correctly. GPU prices started to balloon on the next series after with the GTX 280 card when it launched at $650! lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.