1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The RTX 2080Ti Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Netherwind, Aug 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Maha Guru

GPU:
    1080 Gaming X SLI
    Yeah, enlisted is the only game that reportedly has high performance with rtx, and looking at the graphics of the game, it's no wonder why... it looks like something that would have been released 10 years ago.

2. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Exactly, these companies didn't just start making whopping great profits with the advent of the 20xx series of cards.

This righteous indignation that we are seeing is understandable because the pricing is putting new cards firmly out of the reach of many people and they are upset.

The thing is, these cards will still sell, they will more than likely sell out (if previous launches are anything to go by).

This is a new card premiering a very new technology so obviously it is going to come with a large premium as all premium technology does.

Have Nvidia pushed the prices too far, I don't think so unless the non RTX performance is awful (and it doesn't sound like it is if sites like Hardware Canucks are to be believed).

As someone else said, if they had called the 2080Ti the Titan Xt, there wouldn't be all this moaning but because a lot of people just assumed the Ti would be priced similarly to the 1080Ti people who were planning to buy a Ti are now forced to rethink that decision.

The simple fact is that I totally understand that some people will not buy these cards because they feel they are too expensive and you should 'vote with your wallet' if that is how you feel, just don't be surprised when these cards sell out.

Nvidia isn't stupid, as much as we don't know the numbers, at the very least it will be the usual ~25% increase, they wouldn't risk the kind of brand damage that releasing cards that provided no conventional performance enhancement would cause.

It's been two years since Pascal so my guess is that the 2080Ti will be ~40% faster than the 1080Ti in non RTX operations.

As always, time will tell.

JM2C ;)

darrenj and LuckyNumber8 like this.
  3. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Maha Guru

GPU:
    1080 Gaming X SLI
    The 25% increase you talk about, is from the big chip (x02/x10) of the old gen (aka 980 ti), to the mid (x04) chip of the new gen (aka 1080)... usually the performance increase from the big chip of the old gen (980 ti), to the big chip of the new gen (1080 ti) is at the very least 50%, usually more.

So if it turns out that the performance increase from gp102 to gt102 is a mere 30%, it is indeed underwhelming.

Furthermore, as you say, it's been 2,5 years with pascal... it seems that we will have a mere 9 to 12 months with turing, before we get the next gen on 7nm, which will undoubtedly provide a huge performance boost, as all previous node shrinks has. In that light, the 2000 series seems to be bad value in every sense.

I still have my preorder, in case my 1080's can't deliver 4k 60 fps in shadow of the tomb raider, but i am very tempted to just cancel my preorder regardless

BangTail likes this.
  4. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Yah, I will keep my pre-order as well, if the conventional performance is really bad, I will probably skip these cards and wait for X599 and then just do a completely new build when 7nm turns up.

These have to give a substantial boost to non RTX performance for them to be relevant to me, the RTX is nice, but it's more of a gimmick at this point.

Dragam1337 likes this.

5. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Maha Guru

GPU:
    1080 Gaming X SLI
    My thoughts exactly !

I am very tempted to just skip this gen, then with next gen build a completely new system with pcie 4.0 :)

I might even just go for a single gpu aswell, although i very much like having the added performance from multigpu... though it depends if they truely get mgpu working in the sense that both gpu's are seen as 1 through nvlink, meaning that developers wouldn't have to deal with mgpu, it would all be taken care of by nvidia... now that is something i would pay for :p

BangTail likes this.
  6. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Yah, I am very close to moving to a single GPU as from what I have read recently, NVlink is not the solution I originally thought it was and games will still require profiles etc.

That's why I am hoping the non RTX performance is good, I have been wanting to move away from SLI for a while now.

Dragam1337 likes this.
  7. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Maha Guru

GPU:
    1080 Gaming X SLI
    You'd get a massive performance loss in titles like battlefield or tomb raider, where the sli scaling is excellent.

If the 2080 ti is 40-50% faster than the 1080 ti, it's just about the same speed as my 1080's in battlefield...

My primary annoyance with sli is the fact that there are some graphic techniques that simply isn't compatible with it... like TAA in battlefield, it causes massive lag, artifacts, and massive fps drop. And TAA in that game does look significantly better than fxaa.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
    BangTail likes this.
  8. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Yah, SLI is not without it's advantages but I have no problem playing at 1440P and quite often do when a game is not SLI capable because I prefer max details/effects over resolution.

I've heard several different opinions about NVlink and if it turns out that it is a seamless solution that combines both GPUs without the need for any additional profiles then I will definitely be sticking with 2 cards.

If it is just a different type of connector that requires profiles etc, then I will definitely think twice about going SLI because as much as Nvidia say they are 'recommitting to SLI', they have said similar things before and SLI is not particularly well supported in newer titles, generally because of engine incompatibilities (Unreal 4 being the most prominent one).

Dragam1337 likes this.
  9. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I hope you realize that the price premium for the Turing cards is precisely because of RTX. Basically, you are paying 40-80% more for this "gimmick". Previous generations of GPUs came with a large performance boost but did not come with a massive price hike, as was the case with Turing. Is paying that price premium worth it? Depends on how much you value RTX.

10. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Maha Guru

GPU:
    1080 Gaming X SLI
    My eyes hurt if i play at less than native 4k :p But other than that, im totally on the same page as you :)

Chastity and BangTail like this.

11. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Yah I will confess that I prefer 4K @ max details but if it is a choice, I will always go with max details first.

I'm hoping these cards will give us 4K @ 60FPS across the board and they should with a ~40%+ FPS increase.

As an aside, 2080Ti pre-orders are sold out everywhere according to LTT.

Guess a lot of people are 'voting with their wallets' ;)

LuckyNumber8 likes this.
  12. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Master Guru

GPU:
    I think they will do that. Even based on Nv GTX 2080 performance chart it looks to me like results are around 10fps higher than 1080ti.
    Counter Strike looks like that? Maybe I havent played CS for a while, but I think enlisted looks a little bit better ;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

pharma likes this.
  13. Singleton99

Singleton99 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Aorus-Extreme-1080TI
    Nvidia's pricing for the new gen cards is somewhat disturbing, i will not pay that kind of price to be honest but i suppose many will, as for Ray Tracing it does look really nice in the videos I've seen ,but to me i still don't think its worth that price for the 2080ti plus there's always the chance that Ray Tracing will become just another Nvidia gimmick a couple of years down the line

If AMD could get a new card out with better than 1080ti performance at a reasonable price they would clean up imo , something that will give the 4k users the fps they want .

Looks like im skipping the upgrade process this year and will be holding onto my 1080ti for sometime to come , this will be the first time ive not updated to a new gen

Dragam1337 likes this.
  14. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Everyone saying ray tracing is a gimmick obviously doesn't understand what it really is.

yasamoka, LuckyNumber8 and pharma like this.
  15. DW75

DW75 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ROG GTX1080 Ti OC
    Oh really, and when did I state that AMD is innocent in its business practices ? This is a thread about the new Nvidia cards. It is not a comparison thread between Nvidia and AMD, and who has engaged in the most shady dealings amongst the two. If this was an AMD GPU launch, and they did the same thing Nvidia is doing here, my comments would be exactly the same.

16. pharma

pharma Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    And did you when Vega came out?

LuckyNumber8 likes this.
  17. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    I understand exactly what it is, I just mean that it is not really that relevant at the moment.

I'm sure when these cards get out into the wild, it will become far more prominent.

Maddness likes this.
  18. SpookySkeleton

SpookySkeleton Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Again Raytracing isn't locked to any brand either, RTX is of course locked to nvidia cards, I know, what i'm saying is that nvidia is the first one to accelerate this in real time for gaming thanks to RTX and yeah looks like the new physx because of that, but again raytracing as i said is not new tech maybe AMD comes next to accelerate raytracing with a free and not brand locked solution (or intel maybe in their new 2020 gpus? ) because again, raytracins is not invented by nvidia.

Just like i said AMD did first implemented tessellation on their cards, i didn't say amd locked tessellation on their brand, maybe nvidia is locking raytracing with RTX to their brand for now, but raytracing is not a gimmick and stand firmly to what i said first, "raytracing is the next big thing, just like tessellation was" because if you understand what raytracing really is, you will undertand what I'm saying

Maddness likes this.
  19. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Maha Guru

GPU:
    1080 Gaming X SLI
    Raytracing isn't, but RTX is, and you can bet your arse that nvidia will only be supporting their own implementation of it, just as with everything else.

But just the fact that raytracing is absurdly demanding, and the fact that amd gpu's doesn't support raytracing (and they are powering all consoles), means that raytracing won't become the standard lighting solution any time soon. It will be a gimmick limited to highend nvidia gpu's on pc, just like physx.

20. SpookySkeleton

SpookySkeleton Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    The realtime one that is locked by Nvidia RTX is the only one that's supported only on RTX 20 series, but any modern gpu support raytracing not for gaming or realtime yes, because is too demanding, bu people were using raytracing for years thanks to cuda or opencl https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ray_tracing_software, and YES of course amd doesn't support realtime raytracing because again, Nvidia is the first doing realtime raytracing, what i said is that amd (or future intel gpu) is probably to come up with a free and non brand locked solution for realtime raytracing, hence is going to be the next thing as tessellation and if you buy a RTX you will be first, not that amd currently supports realtime raytracing. How is this hard to understand?.

you are making me vervose every one of my comments

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.