The RTX 2080Ti Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Netherwind, Aug 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darrenj

darrenj Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090
    I make about 4300USD a month, then comes taxes and all other stuff...kids, life, food, graphic cards

2. shoja

shoja Guest

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
    Corporate greed at its best. Instead of working on getting more people in to buying their stuff through positive advertising and education, they choose to squeeze more from their current loyal consumer base. I am a fan, but not an idiot. I will switch when I realize you are just charging me out of pure greed, and nothing else.

So yes, vote with your money, and don't support this pricing model of theirs. EA is a good example of people voting with their money, and not supporting their crap "vision" of games.

3. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Not even close to the same thing and stop insinuating that people who choose to buy these cards are idiots.

EA is having problems because they are trying to force their stupid SJW agenda down people's throats while simultaneously rewriting history.

Nvidia is simply taking advantage of their monopoly, welcome to business 101 ;)

You are obviously free to 'vote with your wallet' but you might want to rethink telling other people how they should spend their money or implying people are stupid because they don't share your opinion.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  4. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    The numbers are before taxes.

Average is that high, cause a few very wealthy people pull up the average by alot, which is also why the median income is alot lower than the average, especially in a country like 'murica - less so in denmark.

5. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Guest

GPU:

BF5 looks amazing with RTX

Maddness likes this.
  6. TDurden

TDurden Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390 Nitro
    up to 1080p 60fps goodness

7. gringopig

gringopig Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti SC
    I've had it with buying new video cards. I have a 780Ti bought for £660: current value feck all and a 980Ti worth peanuts and now they want me to spend ONE THOUSAND pounds just to sit and play video games with cheaters. No deal Nvidia. No deal.

8. SpookySkeleton

SpookySkeleton Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Well raytracing is a stuff that has been here for years, the regular one on after effect, or the advanced in cinema 4d, maya or blender, is just a that this time is hardware accelerated in realtime for gaming, nvidia is just doing it first, i remeber when amd invented the tessellation, but nvidia got this tech and did it better, nobody was expecting this to be a real deal.

9. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Tesselation is again not locked to any brand, unlike all the "nvidia features", like rtx, and all the other gameworks gimmicks, which barely anyone bothers to include into their games...

10. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit Gamerock 4090

11. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    The more I learn about RTX, the more underwhelmed I am. All this talk of sub-60 fps performance with RTX enabled at 1080p and on the 2080 Ti is just depressing; no-one in their right mind is going to pay £1,000 to play games at 1080p with a sub-60 fps framerate, no matter how pretty it might look. And if performance is impacted so heavily at 1080p then what will it be like at 1440p and, especially, 4K, which is the resolution most people paying this kind of money will be looking to use it at?

Ray-tracing seems to me to be, at least on this first-gen hardware, PhysX or HairWorks all over again, i.e. effects that when enabled cut the framerate so heavily that most people will just end up turning them off. What is the point in paying an obscene premium for these cards if you aren't going to end up using the very feature you are paying all that money for?

Maybe when the RTX is in its 3rd or 4th revision in 3-4 years time, ray-tracing might be usable at 4K and 60+ fps but here and now in 2018, I don't think these cards are worth it. Even if the standard game performance is great, say, 40%+ over the GTX 1080 Ti then it would still be a hard sell for me simply because I would rather have a cheaper card without RTX.

P.S. I watched a HardwareUnboxed video on YouTube where they revealed that the DLSS feature which supposedly *increases* performance actually works by rendering at a lower resolution and upscaling the image to the selected resolution. Even if the results are close to traditional TAA, there are going to be artifacts much like checkerboarding on the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. However you market it, the image is not rendered at native resolution and that is why the performance increases. Anyway, that is how I understood it.

Dragam1337 likes this.
  12. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    My thoughts exactly... i wonder if there will be gtx gpus without rt and tensor cores, cause really, they are an uneeded expense for gaming cards.

13. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    couple of things... The devs have had their hands on RTX for a month, max. And they're targetting 1080p/60 on what? 2070? 2080ti? Nobody knows. Why do people just cherry pick stuff and then try to create something that isn't there?

also, wccftech? The most credible site on PC tech. Yeah, I'll leave it at that.

14. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
  15. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Wonder if that is on the Medium graphics preset with DLSS enabled, i.e. rendered at a lower resolution and upscaled? ;)

Dragam1337 likes this.

16. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Did you miss the three days part?

Can't wait to see DLSS in action. There is so much new stuff, it would fit several normal launches. So much new stuff we can't possibly lose.
    I am 99% sure, there will be alot of crow eating ;)

17. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    RTX might be Nvidia only, but Ray Tracing is not. It is the future, weather you like it or not.

18. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    You can bet your arse that nvidia will be trying to force developers to use their rtx solution, and not support open standards... much like they do with everything else. What nvidia does is counter productive, cause it limits tech from being used widespread.

And ray tracing as a standard method of doing lighting is ages away, if it ever happens, cause the resources reqruired to run it are massive, and could be used much more effectively in other ways to improve image quality.

Raytracing is at the very bottom of my list of important things for image quality, way further down than 8k res, and perfect anti aliasing.

19. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    I have seen a couple of Ray Tracing video's. The Battlefield 5 one looks awesome. A couple of game devs have also said that Ray Tracing will really cut down there work load and allow them to concentrate more on other aspects of gaming. I'm just glad that someone has started to implement it in hardware. Now we just need AMD to get on board and release some competitive hardware.

LuckyNumber8 likes this.
  20. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I'm pretty sure Nvidia is using the DirectX framework for ray-tracing - it won't be proprietary like GSync or CUDA. Also, as much as I'd like 8K displays and perfectly smooth edges, I think ray-tracing is just as important (one day, we will wonder how we ever lived without it ;)). The biggest disappoint I have with Turing (aside from the price hike) is that RTX won't be supported across the entire product stack - only 2070 and up will have it, which severely limits its appeal. I'm hoping 7nm will allow Nvidia to implement it throughout their lineup. I'm also hoping that AMD can show some strengths here as well (make that compute ability worth it).

Maddness likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.