1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The RTX 2080Ti thread (cont.)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Glidefan, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti Gaming X
    I thought it was worth the upgrade. I really needed those 25% more FPS I got in 3440x1440 and especially in 4K where the card performs way better than the 1080Ti.

2. Shinobi84

Shinobi84 Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI AorusExW
    https://ibb.co/Rv3ZZ7C

ehy guys this is my first contact...is nice and yes worth the upgrade but in 2k i dont see much difference more better in 4k!

3. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti Gaming X
    I was thrilled to hear that my card got replaced by a X model (which is factory OCd even more) but when I got home and tested the card it performs even worse than my old one, which already was in the lower tier according to Gurus in this thread. Well, it is as it is, but it's pretty disheartening to get bad luck in the silicon lottery twice in a row. Looks like this card is about 30MHz slower than my old one and my old one was already 50MHz below average. The three pluses in this case is that the new card has no coil whine, has Samsung VRAM and does react to Vcore % increase. So when I increase Power Limit and the voltage at stock clocks it does hold a bit higher clock than with all settings to default.

Guru3D average stock boost seems to be 1950MHz and mine does 1815MHz until I did the above trick which now makes it sit at 1875MHz during one Superposition run. OC isn't very good at all, about 2040MHz in Superposition which is way below all reported OC in this thread. Unfortunately this OC isn't stable in The Division 2 so I had to dial it down to 2010MHz (its absolutely not a temperature problem, just a very weak chip).

I haven't OCd the memory to max yet but +800MHz seems to work fine so far. I should be able to do +1000 according to past 2080Ti reviews which is higher than my old card which had Micron.

jura11 likes this.
  4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o

Sorry to hear my friend! Losing in the silicone lottery is tough... :(
    no chance to change your card once more? Still, no coil whine's nice, but was it very noticable / annoying?

jura11 likes this.

5. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti Gaming X
    No, it wasn't that bad but the card has a little bit more value if it's "silent" :)
    Regarding changing once more, nah, it's not worth the trouble I think. A friend will probably buy a 2080Ti later this year and he doesn't OC at all so I could perhaps try his card and see how it performs then just make a change.

jura11 and fantaskarsef like this.
  6. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti SLi
    Well, both my Palit RTX 2080Ti GamingPro OC cards died when my motherboard bit the dust so they were replaced with a pair of EVGA RTX 2080Ti black cards which also failed.

I’m now running a pair of the EVGA RTX 2080Ti XC cards and so far so good, haven’t done any manual overclocking but with the temp and power limit maxed out they were boosting to 2010MHz at around 41c (watercooled) which I’m pretty happy with.

Just hope these ones last more than 5 minutes.

7. Geryboy

Geryboy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080ti AMP Zotac
    @anxious_f0x poor you, hope you get a break.

all that hassle with mobo replacement, I don't envy you. good luck.

anxious_f0x likes this.
  8. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o

Wow... hope you got some peace finally now. Going through 6 cards.... hefty. I am running EVGA RTX 2080TI XC as well, which waterblocks are you using? Did you try different waterblocks for your GPUs are are they all ref PCBs with only two blocks you switched over?

anxious_f0x likes this.
  9. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti Gaming X
    Rofl, your stock clocks is what I get OCd :D Oh the irony.

I also hope your cards work for a long time so you don't have to change them once again.

jura11, anxious_f0x and fantaskarsef like this.
  10. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti SLi
    I'm using the EK-Vector waterblocks, with a bit more testing i have seen temps reach around 51c on both cards which I'm still quite happy with.

I've had REALLY bad luck with GPU's recently, last November my Titan X Pascal cards just stopped boosting beyond 300MHz so I RMA'd those and got a partial refund because they couldn't replace them which is why I ended up changing over to the RTX 2080Ti's.

In total since then I've had four of the Palit GamingPro OC cards (The original replacements for the Titan X's also failed), EVGA Black editions and now these EVGA XC cards.

Hopefully these ones last, the only card I had fail on me up until the Titan X Pascal cards was a 9800GX2 and that was after years of running at 90c+ :D

You do seem quite unlucky with the silicon lottery, so far I haven't had a 2080Ti that didn't maintain 2GHz+. I've got an ASUS ROG Strix OC 2080Ti that I use in my old X58 system on my 4K TV and that runs at around 1980MHz with the power limit increased at around 65c on air.

I've been really impressed with that card.

fantaskarsef, jura11 and Netherwind like this.

11. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti 1080 FE

Hi there

As above sorry to hear that,I know how it is, friend have similar luck with his MSI RTX 2080Ti which is running under water and his card is one poor OC'er will do 2040MHz under water and we are tried everything, running extra voltage won't helped, VRAM on his one is Micron which started to be unstable at 1000MHz and now he is running 600MHz on VRAM

2040MHz is not bad for air cooled GPU, not seen many cards which will do 2100MHz on air cooler, 2010MHz is usually what I use in rendering, in gaming my Zotac RTX 2080Ti AMP will do 2085MHz or 2055MHz depending on games, some games are stable with 2085MHz some are not stable with 2085MHz

Will try my Asus RTX 2080Ti Strix and not sure what I can expect, if it will be similar like my Zotac RTX 2080Ti AMP then hard to say what I will do

I suspect 1000MHz on VRAM can be easy to achieve with Samsung memory modules, 1125MHz is max what my Zotac RTX 2080Ti AMP can do, friend Palit RTX 2080Ti will do 1250MHz extra on VRAM

Not sure if watercooling would help, but we are tried that on friend card there

Did you tried to use MSI Afterburner OC Scanner and what is final result there

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

Netherwind likes this.
  12. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti 1080 FE
    Wow that's again just bad luck there, hopefully you will have better luck with XC there, I have used only two of them and one of them has been able push to 2115MHz at stock voltage and second one 2085MHz with stock voltage, but VRAM OC have probably best what I experienced or tested, one would do 1345MHz and other 1275MHz

Hope this helps and good luck there

Thanks, Jura

anxious_f0x likes this.
  13. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti SLi
    Thanks Jura, those are some good numbers!

I’m going to hold off on the overclocking for a while with these cards until I’m 100% confident they’ll survive :)

Geryboy likes this.
  14. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti Gaming X
    Hey,

My old card had Micron which was unstable at 1000MHz so I had to run it at 700MHz. My new one has Samsung so right now I'm running it at 800MHz but will try 1000MHz this weekend.

Actually 2040MHz is unstable in Division 2 which crashes (display driver error) so I had to lower the OC and now the card runs at 1995-2010MHz boost (+130 on the core) stable. I'll try 2040MHz OC in Rage 2 this weekend.

Well, I've read this thread and up to 2100MHz on air seems fairly common? I remember ppl were saying that their cards boosted to 1950-1975MHz easy on stock clocks? I expect the clocks you get with your Zotac (~2085).

I've not tried the scanner on this card...but I did try it on my old card which resulted in a curve. But the thing is that even if I ran a game with the curve that MSI AB created, the card still ran at stock clocks so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here.

15. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti 1080 FE
    Hi there

I have tried few GPUs with Micron, some cards would do easy 1100MHz, some able touch 1200MHz but with some I just couldn't push beyond 450-600MHz,tried only 4 GPUs with Micron memory modules,OC of these cards (two of cards would do 2085MHz and one would do measly 2040MHz and one would do 2055MHz), these all cards have been tested or tried with their own stock cooler and CPU cooler I have used my old NH-D15 with 5820k and case we have used Fractal Design Define R6 TG

Temperatures have been in 70's on GPUs(highest temperature I have seen 76°C with auto profile) and clocks as above there, one of them eventually hit 2100MHz but only if temperatures have been below 50°C which I seen on start when clocks started to fluctuate and clock started to drop to lower bins

I didn't touched voltage because of temperatures I would assume with more voltage temperatures would raise

Cards in question have been Zotac RTX 2080Ti AMP(friend one with Micron VRAM), MSI RTX 2080Ti Gaming X Trio, MSI RTX 2080Ti Duke and EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW3 all with stock cooler and backplate

In actual gaming these clocks have been unstable, usually I needed to drop one bin down like from 2085MHz to 2070MHz or 2055MHz to 2040MHz and so on

If 2100MHz is common on air cooled cards not sure, as I said on start of any benchmark or game you may will see 2100MHz but usually when temperatures are low enough, if temperatures starts to raise and clocks starts to drop and usually settle in 2070MHz maybe less depending on temperatures and ambient plays big role in this there, during the winter or colder weather I could push these cards but now with hotter weather friend reports his OC is now in 2025-2040MHz range

Regarding the stock boost, some people reported too their Zotac RTX 2080Ti AMP would boost with stock BIOS easy beyond 2000MHz which I have never seen on my card, my stock boost with stock Zotac BIOS have been in 1980MHz range I think, reflashed my BIOS twice or three times to be sure but not seen reported clocks, with stock Zotac BIOS my clocks fluctuated a lot because of power limit most of time, hated that and tried too mount again my stock cooler on my Zotac RTX 2080Ti AMP and expected clocks around 2085MHz as well at least with voltages at 1.093v but no way I could hit only 2055MHz which dropped to 2040MHz after while, used like Noctua NT-H1 and Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut which resulted in 1-2°C lower temperatures with Kryonaut and overall temperatures have been in 72-75°C and 68°C with fairly aggressive fan curve and with that noise have been very noticeable

I would try OC Scanner and report back, assuming you have enabled in MSI Afterburner under properties Unlock Voltage control, can you change that to Extended MSI and check if you have enabled too Force constant voltage, this I have enabled and voltage control is like should be, will post screenshot later on

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

16. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti Gaming X
    Don't you feel that a TG case makes the GPU hotter than normal?

How do you feel that the OC clocks are solid in terms of fluctuations? Does your card keep the 2085MHz through out your test (after initial stabilization of course)? This and my old card couldn't keep a OC clock stable and fluctuated almost constantly. My 1080Ti on the other hand did not. Below is an example where the guy has a 2080Ti running at a completely rock solid 2100MHz (under water mind you). If I run all my fans at absolute max my temps during Superposition are around 52-53 degrees but the clocks vary when OCd between 2010,2025,2040 but with some drops here and there to 1995 then back up again, and this with the GPU load fairly constant. I really have no idea what's going on here.

I tried the OC scanner but just like the last time...it doesn't really do anything. Sure, the curve did increase OC by some +50MHz but it was hardly noticeable during Superposition. Forcing Constant Voltage also doesn't seem to do anything since the voltage keep bouncing up and down like a ball.

()

17. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti 1080 FE

Hi there

I have done few tests with Fractal Design Define R6 TG and personally I replaced all fans for Phanteks ones because stock Fractal Design fans FD I think are not the best, if TG window or TG makes case hotter this depends on case and depending on case airflow etc but in this case think everything have been OK

I will try make quick video and you will see my clocks doesn't fluctuate in gaming, just tried SOTR or Shadow Of Tomb Raider and clocks have been rock stable there, no fluctuations on clocks at 3440x1440 and performance have been OK although in The Hidden City I have seen frame drops which I would say is pretty normal

Will post screenshots of benchmarks like with 2085MHz, 2055MHz or stock clocks which are 1950MHz with Galax 380W BIOS, Exclusive Fullscreen improve frames by 1-2FPS

Yes my card would keep the clocks during the benchmark or gaming, only clocks would drop by 15MHz if temperatures are beyond 38-40°C if temperatures are below that then no frequency drop by 15MHz

Hard to say why yours clocks does fluctuating, not seen that with Galax 380W BIOS but seen that only with stock BIOS but there I think I have issue with power limits, can you check if you are not hitting any kind of power limit or voltage limit which I don't think you should

2100MHz I can do with 1.093v but with such voltage I think temperatures would be bit higher due this I'm running 2085MHz or 2055MHz with lower voltage and with this my clocks wouldn't drop from 2100MHz to 2085MHz if temperatures are above 38-40°C

If you are seeing any frequency drops then I would suspect you are hitting Power Limit or voltage limit, with voltage limit you shouldn't see any frequency drop, with power limit you will see clocks bouncing or fluctuations

What is yours actual OC on core, try creating own custom voltage curve, if its 85MHz or 125MHz then set normal curve at 70MHz or 100MHz and raise voltage point at 1.068v or 1.075v to 90MHz or to 130MHz this should works or been working for me

Bouncing voltage I have seen only with stock Zotac BIOS, did you tried Galax 380W BIOS if it would be better than yours stock one?

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

18. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o
    Wow that's really something... to be honest I never had a GPU fail on me besides due to being in heavy use for years (MSI GTX580 Lightning Z, highest factory OC there was since I bought in late in the cycle, and it lasted 6 years).

jura11 and anxious_f0x like this.
  19. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti SLi
    It's been a very strange period for me hardware wise, my Core i7 6950X died after a week of owning it at the start of 2017, then my motherboard died in March this year which is also being linked to killing my Palit RTX 2080Ti's

I've always taken great care in handling hardware so to have all these parts fail has been a surprise. I even had an electrician out to make sure my electrical sockets weren't the issue.

Fingers crossed it'll be plain sailing from now on :)

fantaskarsef, jura11 and Geryboy like this.
  20. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o
    Yes I too was thinking about the wiring in your place too to be an issue if so much hardware does fail. It's like you pulled together half of our guru's hardware failures under your own brand...
    Hope you can stay at your cards at least, as long as they work now.