The RTX 2080Ti thread (cont.)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Glidefan, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    Wonder if you'll be able to reach 2200MHz :)

2. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

I don't think my Zotac RTX 2080Ti AMP will able to reach 2200MHz unless I will be using XOC BIOS plus I will need for that chiller

With Asus RTX 2080Ti Strix hard to say, hopefully will be better OC than my Zotac RTX 2080Ti AMP and will do at least 2130-2145MHz

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

3. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    @jura11 - 2145 is an amazing number nonetheless, hope you'll be satisfied with it.

4. Shinobi84

Shinobi84 Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI AorusExW
    recently i sell my ex 1080ti fe with ek wb...i play games on 1440p 165hz and ive orded the RTX 2080TI AORUS EXT WB...how many fps i gain on that resolution in games?Do you have an idea?IWorth the upgrade? thanks to all

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    FPS gain depends on the game, might be as much as 20 or more %, or less than that in other games I guess. And we don't ask if it's "worth" to buy a 2080TI here, just enjoy your new card as soon as everything's integrated :D

6. Shinobi84

Shinobi84 Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI AorusExW
    im sorry m8! When i have it in my hands i post phots and benchmarks...thanks!

7. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Nah don't be sorry, I was more like, we just have those 2080TIs, we don't ask ourselves if it was smart to buy one anymore :D

Here's the Founder's Edition review from HH. Here you can get a general idea of the performance differences between 1080TI and 2080TI. Differences in performance between cards still remain, e.g. how well they overclock (silicone lottery), as well as what power targets are in the VBIOS etc.
    I have to admit, I bought mine for just the performance boost, RTX is... not really that much of a thing right now, and Nvidia doesn't let me use DLSS with 1440p (which is actually insulting and a bad joke by itself), if you want to talk about features ;)

8. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    I didn't know that, thanks for pointing it out

Geryboy likes this.
  9. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Agree 2145MHz would be great number but will see how good Asus Strix RTX 2080Ti would be or how bad is it

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

10. Archvile82

Archvile82 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 FTW U
    Also TR supports 1440p dlss :)

fantaskarsef likes this.
  11. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    I thought it was worth the upgrade. I really needed those 25% more FPS I got in 3440x1440 and especially in 4K where the card performs way better than the 1080Ti.

12. Shinobi84

Shinobi84 Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI AorusExW
    https://ibb.co/Rv3ZZ7C

ehy guys this is my first contact...is nice and yes worth the upgrade but in 2k i dont see much difference more better in 4k!

13. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    I was thrilled to hear that my card got replaced by a X model (which is factory OCd even more) but when I got home and tested the card it performs even worse than my old one, which already was in the lower tier according to Gurus in this thread. Well, it is as it is, but it's pretty disheartening to get bad luck in the silicon lottery twice in a row. Looks like this card is about 30MHz slower than my old one and my old one was already 50MHz below average. The three pluses in this case is that the new card has no coil whine, has Samsung VRAM and does react to Vcore % increase. So when I increase Power Limit and the voltage at stock clocks it does hold a bit higher clock than with all settings to default.

Guru3D average stock boost seems to be 1950MHz and mine does 1815MHz until I did the above trick which now makes it sit at 1875MHz during one Superposition run. OC isn't very good at all, about 2040MHz in Superposition which is way below all reported OC in this thread. Unfortunately this OC isn't stable in The Division 2 so I had to dial it down to 2010MHz (its absolutely not a temperature problem, just a very weak chip).

I haven't OCd the memory to max yet but +800MHz seems to work fine so far. I should be able to do +1000 according to past 2080Ti reviews which is higher than my old card which had Micron.

jura11 likes this.
  14. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o

Sorry to hear my friend! Losing in the silicone lottery is tough... :(
    no chance to change your card once more? Still, no coil whine's nice, but was it very noticable / annoying?

jura11 likes this.
  15. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    No, it wasn't that bad but the card has a little bit more value if it's "silent" :)
    Regarding changing once more, nah, it's not worth the trouble I think. A friend will probably buy a 2080Ti later this year and he doesn't OC at all so I could perhaps try his card and see how it performs then just make a change.

jura11 and fantaskarsef like this.
  16. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
    Well, both my Palit RTX 2080Ti GamingPro OC cards died when my motherboard bit the dust so they were replaced with a pair of EVGA RTX 2080Ti black cards which also failed.

I’m now running a pair of the EVGA RTX 2080Ti XC cards and so far so good, haven’t done any manual overclocking but with the temp and power limit maxed out they were boosting to 2010MHz at around 41c (watercooled) which I’m pretty happy with.

Just hope these ones last more than 5 minutes.

17. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o

Wow... hope you got some peace finally now. Going through 6 cards.... hefty. I am running EVGA RTX 2080TI XC as well, which waterblocks are you using? Did you try different waterblocks for your GPUs are are they all ref PCBs with only two blocks you switched over?

anxious_f0x likes this.

18. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    Rofl, your stock clocks is what I get OCd :D Oh the irony.

I also hope your cards work for a long time so you don't have to change them once again.

jura11, anxious_f0x and fantaskarsef like this.
  19. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
    I'm using the EK-Vector waterblocks, with a bit more testing i have seen temps reach around 51c on both cards which I'm still quite happy with.

I've had REALLY bad luck with GPU's recently, last November my Titan X Pascal cards just stopped boosting beyond 300MHz so I RMA'd those and got a partial refund because they couldn't replace them which is why I ended up changing over to the RTX 2080Ti's.

In total since then I've had four of the Palit GamingPro OC cards (The original replacements for the Titan X's also failed), EVGA Black editions and now these EVGA XC cards.

Hopefully these ones last, the only card I had fail on me up until the Titan X Pascal cards was a 9800GX2 and that was after years of running at 90c+ :D

You do seem quite unlucky with the silicon lottery, so far I haven't had a 2080Ti that didn't maintain 2GHz+. I've got an ASUS ROG Strix OC 2080Ti that I use in my old X58 system on my 4K TV and that runs at around 1980MHz with the power limit increased at around 65c on air.

I've been really impressed with that card.

fantaskarsef, jura11 and Netherwind like this.
  20. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink

Hi there

As above sorry to hear that,I know how it is, friend have similar luck with his MSI RTX 2080Ti which is running under water and his card is one poor OC'er will do 2040MHz under water and we are tried everything, running extra voltage won't helped, VRAM on his one is Micron which started to be unstable at 1000MHz and now he is running 600MHz on VRAM

2040MHz is not bad for air cooled GPU, not seen many cards which will do 2100MHz on air cooler, 2010MHz is usually what I use in rendering, in gaming my Zotac RTX 2080Ti AMP will do 2085MHz or 2055MHz depending on games, some games are stable with 2085MHz some are not stable with 2085MHz

Will try my Asus RTX 2080Ti Strix and not sure what I can expect, if it will be similar like my Zotac RTX 2080Ti AMP then hard to say what I will do

I suspect 1000MHz on VRAM can be easy to achieve with Samsung memory modules, 1125MHz is max what my Zotac RTX 2080Ti AMP can do, friend Palit RTX 2080Ti will do 1250MHz extra on VRAM

Not sure if watercooling would help, but we are tried that on friend card there

Did you tried to use MSI Afterburner OC Scanner and what is final result there

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

Netherwind likes this.
  21. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Wow that's again just bad luck there, hopefully you will have better luck with XC there, I have used only two of them and one of them has been able push to 2115MHz at stock voltage and second one 2085MHz with stock voltage, but VRAM OC have probably best what I experienced or tested, one would do 1345MHz and other 1275MHz

Hope this helps and good luck there

Thanks, Jura

anxious_f0x likes this.
  22. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
    Thanks Jura, those are some good numbers!

I’m going to hold off on the overclocking for a while with these cards until I’m 100% confident they’ll survive :)

Geryboy likes this.