The RTX 2080Ti thread (cont.)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Glidefan, Mar 31, 2019.

1. toasty

toasty Guest

GPU:
    2080Ti Trio X
    dk_mic and DannyD like this.
  2. dk_mic

dk_mic New Member

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    Nice how you get similar temps as it would be on water!!
    Here is my result. This is with stock cooling, but replaced bad fabric paste application with kryonaut.
    Fan curve is custom, but only up to 60% until 75C.
    Curve is at 2070Mhz @ 1.025 V, but it doesnt boost that high in this bench.
    Flashed the "406 W" bios for the MSI 2080 Ti Gaming Trio X.
    Still considering your cooling solution, just for fun :)

Untitled.png Untitled.png

3. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Gaming X trio has great cooling, especially if you undervolt, almost 6 months i've had this card and almost 6 months the uk gpu market has been down.
    I got my yearly bonus fortnight ago and go no hardware at all, was thinking about VR but i'm very reluctant right now in these times.
    End of the day the 2080ti remains beastly even today, especially with custom bios (i'm on lightning z and undervolt just enough to keep temps way down and power down by 50-80w.
    *Shoutout Afterburner!

jura11 and fantaskarsef like this.
  4. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    @toasty Do you have those fans attached to the heatsink in any way, or are you just using gravity in your BTX like setup to keep them in place? My GPU is sideways since I have the Cooler Master HAF XB EVO but I'm interested in strapping some 120mm fans to the heatsink at some point, although they would need to be secured somehow.
    @DannyD I totally agree! The MSI 2080Ti Gaming X Trio has been one of the best GPU's I have owned............after I replaced the terrible stock paste coverage. Maintaining 2070 core in all games, 70C or lower, quiet noise profile and +1000 Mem since the day I bought it. I now have a Nov-Apr profile (1.050v @ 2100 core, +1000 mem, ~340W average) and a May-Oct profile (0.850v @ 1900 core, +1000 mem, ~250W average) for the warmer time of the year.

DannyD likes this.

5. dk_mic

dk_mic New Member

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    I did it like this, can recommend (2x Arctic p12 and 1x Noctua NF-A9). Replacing a bad factory thermal paste application and new fans works wonders. Not that the default cooler is bad, but this is another level. Also tried 2x 140mm fans, but that was worse for some reason.
    [​IMG]

fantaskarsef likes this.
  6. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Had my msi card running 15800mhz on the vram for around a fortnight 24 /7 just shows you tho how robust these things are, max hotspot temp 68C.
    running 1.11v through the cpu to keep things cool. 707mv through the gpu.

7. Lasse Kristensen

Lasse Kristensen Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FE

WAUV! I really envy you! .. At the begining I had a 2080 FE that stock could do 2115 Mhz.. then another one that ran 2070 mhz.. And the third and final I have now will for some reason only run 2010mhz.. a whopping 100 Mhz lower! Is this REALLY due to bad silicon? Unfortunatly back then I returned the two first 2080 Ti and now have the 3rd at 2010 Mhz (2040 short and eventually 1990 Mhz) .. I am very disappointed about this.. I even have a BIOS that allows 1.125v rather than 1.093v stock. Only bright side is the 3rd card I have now is Samsung GDDR6 and they with this BIOS and increased watt allow 1000Mhz (2000 Mhz) OC. The BIOS is a 480W I think and sets vCore to 1.125v (default is actually 1.2v, but FE dont support more than 1.125v. :(

So I am in doubt IF shunt mod will even work for me or give any gains! Because I AM on a 480 or 380w bios. IF 480W BIOS the shunt 520W is basically not worth it.. Or HOW does these two play with each other? Also if my GPU is a crappy bin! and have maxed 1.125v @ 2010-2025 Mhz.. then I dont know if there is room for more?

But maybe it will give me higher clock and better consistency?! ex. 2040 ALL the time?! rather than 1 min then 1990 mhz.. you know what I mean. Im jealoux! :) a GPU @ 2200mhz is simply LOVELY! And its basically 10% over 2000 mhz which is high to begin with! ;) So thats OC that works and actually has an impact..

8. Lasse Kristensen

Lasse Kristensen Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FE

Im also useing that BIOS and the MEM are stuck at 8000 Mhz ALL the time, its a drag- in idle.. also OC scanner is removed or disabled. Only bright side is the increased wattage and the fact that it sets vCore for the FE to 1.125v from 1.093v. Too bad there isnt support for FE on this BIOS otherwise we would have had a voltage slider that actually goes up to 1.4v! :eek:

9. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Howdy fellow Guru! Here I am checking 8 months after replacing the thermal paste that MSI applied (poorly) from the factory. My GPU started acting up again and the fans would ramp wildly when above ~250W, along with the hotspot according to HWinfo hitting 111C while the core was ~68C!

I didn't think the paste would already need replacing, but boy was I wrong. It seems like the MX-4 is too viscous and just slips down with gravity fairly quickly. As you can see, the top sections of the GPU die are not covered once again and there is a massive amount of thermal paste pump out.

I went ahead and checked all the thermal pads and they are okay, so I cleaned up all the paste around the GPU die and formed a thin sheet of MX-5 using the included spatula. After the thin sheet was down, I created a sort of barrier around the die by slowly pumping a line around the edges of the die with the tube of thermal paste.

I then made sure to attach the heatsink in such a way that the bottom (closer to the PCIe connector) contacted the die first and would hopefully prevent or slow down the paste migrating south. For now I'm back to great temps and low noise, but I'm crossing my fingers it lasts this time!

IMG_1503_small.JPG

IMG_1502_small.JPG

DannyD likes this.
  10. retiredat44

retiredat44 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 2080-ti
    sort of sad, has my 2080-ti become irrelevant? no newe post in here for ages...

11. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Not sure if anybody cares or receives notifications for this thread, but I recently decided to go on a little adventure. Many thanks to @toasty and @dk_mic for the super helpful pictures, it really helped gauge if I could do the de-shroud+bigger fans mod and still fit it in my case. With only 330mm of GPU clearance and the stock card being 327mm, I did not have much space to work with.
    Some quick math led to an exact copy of what y'all did being out the window (120mm Arctic P12 x 2 + NF-A9 92mm = more than 330mm) so I got a Noctua NF-A8 80mm fan instead for the smaller part of the heatsink. After some measuring it looked like 120 x 2 + 80 + tolerances for PCI slot cover would still keep me under 330mm in total.

IMG_1604_small.jpg

I then set out on the long and slow journey of carefully routing twist ties and fan cables over the next ~4 hours. Didn't really run into any issues, just wanted to take my time and get it right the first time without compromising my ability to sell the GPU with the stock fan & heatsink in the future. Here is what I ended up with!

IMG_1607_small.jpg

IMG_1608_small.jpg

Overall I'm very happy with how it turned out. 3 black fans roughly matching the "L" shape of the heatsink is pretty cool looking and the noise profile of these fans is much more pleasing to my ear. I was able to use the GPU fan headers with adapters, but the 50cm cables were tough to manage! Notice how the Noctua NF-A8 is shoved right up against the slot cover to give me as much room at the back of the card as possible. Finally, here is a shot of it all up and running after carefully finding a way to fit the 4 slot monstrosity in my case. :D

IMG_1612_small.jpg

Kind of hard to see, but I ended up with 1.2mm of clearance from the side of the Arctic P12 120 to the front of the case! I didn't really *need* to do this mod, but the lower noise and nicer fan tones are rewarding. Didn't gain much in clocks, about 30-45MHz core and 100-150MHz mem, but temps are 10-15C lower to go along with less noise. An added benefit is that my RAM, m.2 drives and chipset temps have all dropped by 5-8C as well due to all the extra airflow in the area.

2sl0w, toasty and fantaskarsef like this.