The RTX 2080Ti thread (cont.)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Glidefan, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Yeah I guess it is, but 49-50C are AIO temps :) And the test is short so I don't know how it would look after a longer session :)

The coil whine thing is new to me though. Sure, all my card have had coil whine at high FPS but not at low load like this one.

jura11 likes this.
  2. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4070 OC
    I hate coil whine enough reason to send a card back

3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I'm still not sure but is coil whine actually a reason covered by the usual terms to RMA it?

4. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4070 OC
    No not here but it some compagnies just send out a new one as a service

fantaskarsef likes this.

5. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I read somewhere that you should give the card two weeks to "get them up to speed", not sure if it's true or not.

That depends on store policy and I'll have to check with mine.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  6. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Nice! Glad to see that you got a good card this time. What exact model do you have and what BIOS are you using? How are you not hitting power limits at 1.087v? My Gaming X Trio with the Lightning Z BIOS hits the ~380W limit when I bench at ~2100MHz and 1.05v. Also, did you get Samsung memory? I've benched with my memory up to 1400MHz overclock (shows up as 8400MHz in RTSS) but I back down to 1000MHz RAM OC for daily use along with core ~2070MHz @ 1.000v.

7. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Thanks! I'll update this post this evening when I'm home from work.

I have the Gaming X Trio and it's supposed to be the latest vBIOS according to TechPowerUp! I'll check power limit later but yes, it most likely hits it. I did get Samsung memory which is nice. I haven't tried a higher mem OC than 1000MHz but I guess it should do at least 200MHz more, will update later.

You've set a manual voltage curve to achieve 2070 @ 1.0v? What fan speed to you run your card at? I use the same curve I used on my old card but I guess I should adjust it a little.

8. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yes you should, could be even more in there, as well as maybe tackling coil whine to some extent if you change frequency or voltage at certain states?

And afterwards, you can give me an in depth tutorial of what to do once you edit the voltage curve so I can overclock my card as well. Yes please thanks?

:rolleyes::D

Netherwind likes this.
  9. orangewoolcry

orangewoolcry Member Guru

GPU:
    geforce 680 gtx
    sup guys , so has anyone been able to make a ln2 kingpin bios ocx compatible for the strix 2080ti yet , still need that one , would really be appreciated alot , thanks

10. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Gaming X Trio on 90.02.30.00.D9 BIOS

Most definitely, actually all the time in most games. When I ran TimeSpy instead of FireStrike it was a different story, the benchmark would crash at +135 core (~2100MHz) and when I toned it down to +130 (~2085MHz) it would, after a while, downclock to 2070MHz but seemed fairly stable there after three runs.

I checked that BIOS on TechPowerUP and there seems to be two versions, 90.02.17.00.F7 with a 380W limit (my current limit is 330W) and the newer 90.02.17.40.42 with a 300W limit. I guess you've got the first one?

Yes I do. Tried +1200 and it worked but I don't feel the need to go higher than 1000MHz.
    So, you're running a custom curve with a fixed voltage @ 2070MHz? That's impressive. What kind of cooling do you have? Are you running the fans at a fixed RPM or %?

I did an custom curve for 1.000v @ 2040MHz but after the card heats up the clock settles at 1995MHz.

11. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    I'm not sure, but I don't think it is possible to make BIOS's that different compatible.
    I got so fed up with hitting power limits on the day I bought this card, I flashed it so quick I have no clue what my original BIOS is. I mean, I have it backed up as "TU102.rom" somewhere of course.

I'm just surprised at the clocks you are able to maintain while up against the power limiters. My card on the original BIOS would go down to the 1930MHz region while in Firestrike Extreme/Timespy even with +130 on the core.

Just checked GPUZ and I am certainly on the BIOS ending in 00.F7 with ~380W limit. I remember trying some other files like EVGA FTW3 and maybe a GALAX one but they would all fail the flash with some kind of USB-C mismatch error. Thankfully the Lightning Z BIOS was old enough to flash flawlessly onto my card.

A few differences are that you will lose fan stop compared to stock BIOS, all fans spin at ~800 RPM for me. Also the stock clocks are of course higher so you will need to adjust MSIAB profiles for sure. I just started fresh and did an evening of clock and voltage testing.

Yes, custom curve to fix it at 1.000v where all I did was grab the little squares from 1.000v through 1.100v and line them all up at 2100MHz. If I leave fans on auto, it will settle at 2055MHz or 2040MHz in heavier games. However, because of where my case is (underneath a table about 4 feet away from where I sit) I can run the fans anywhere from 57% to 67% and not really hear anything noise wise. The fans on this card have a very pleasing tone, at least to my ears. My previous 1080Ti FTW3 had an irritating tone.

Yeah, you have to set the curve 2 or 3 bins higher than what you plan to settle on. Or jack your fan speeds WAY up, but I like to have the happy medium of dropping 1 or 2 bins depending on the game and fan speed I choose. My card is using the stock cooler and stock paste. It cost so much I haven't had the nerve to try and open it up to apply new paste, considering I'd have to use like a whole tube to cover the massive die.

Lastly, I also have a .900v @ 1950MHz profile for the hotter months and/or lighter games. My ambient has been 21C-22C for the vast majority of my 2080Ti testing so that may help things.

12. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink

Hi there

Congratulations to yours RMA GPU, does look like you have finally good RTX 2080Ti which does OC like should have in first place because last one which you owned has been pretty poor one in OC what I remember

2100MHz on air is great result, 2085MHz too is great result for air cooled GPUs, friend have Asus RTX 2080Ti Strix which does on air 2100MHz but usually downclocks to 2085MHz as in your case

Under water I would say 2130-2145MHz is possible quite easily with yours if you can or could keep temperatures under 45°C

Did you tried just create manual Voltage Frequency curve and try 1.02v same OC, I would expect temperatures would be better and OC should be same as you have now

I folded with my RTX 2080Ti at 2100MHz at 1.0v and 1.02v and no issues, tried 2130-2145MHz as well at such voltage and no issues, just didn't tried 2205-2220MHz OC in folding because of temperatures would go probably through the roof hahaha with other 3*GPUs in same loop, checked Killawat when I was foldimg in Folding@home and saw 1350W

Hope this helps and good luck there

Thanks, Jura

Netherwind likes this.
  13. sultanofswing

sultanofswing Member

GPU:
    HD7650M
    Voltage curve gives you clocks that don't produce as good as results as using the offset slider.
    Example: my card at 2250mhz using the voltage curve set to 1.093 produces worse benchmark results than if I run the card at 2115mhz using the offset slider.
    It also scores worse if I run the same clockspeed and voltage using the voltage curve vs clock offset
    2115@1.018 scores higher than
    2115@1.018 using voltage curve

14. rinkymehra

rinkymehra Guest

GPU:
    wgrrw
    so does anyone feel like them adding ray tracing to last gen's cards devalues and makes 2080ti's even more of a ripoff so to speak value wise? mind checking mobdro. as well ?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
  15. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Lol no

16. MMXMMX

MMXMMX Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 4090 OC
    My 2080TI is broken and back to the store.
    Freezing in windows all the time. I am running the GPU of my 9900K.

Extreme hard to play games like this :(

17. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    People who've bought rtx series, made a secure low risk investment for next Gen Ampere. It is not a rip off as long as price remains roughly the same. I cannot imagine someone who gave 1500$ for 2080ti will give 2000$ for 3080ti willingly.

endbase likes this.
  18. fluidz

fluidz Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Rtx 4080
    I tried to Oc my trio x 2080ti using AB 4.6.2 oc scanner. I followed Msi's own tutorial (https://www.msi.com/blog/get-a-free-performance-boost-with-afterburner-oc-scanner), setting power to 110%, max voltage and power. It said 90% confidence. I Ran OCCT 3d test, to test the overclock, occt was set to default settings, lots of errors.

I removed the oc profile, manually overclocked the core to +150 (lower than oc scanners overclock), again errors

I dropped it to +100 on the core, no errors in occt. If using oc scanner, check your overclocks using occt 3d test.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
    BuildeR2, fantaskarsef and RodroG like this.
  19. MMXMMX

MMXMMX Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 4090 OC
    I did sell my 2080TI for 750€ we will see in about 2 months if i made a good deal

20. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Putting these two posts together, I'm afraid / positive you are right.