The RTX 2080Ti thread (cont.)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Glidefan, Mar 31, 2019.

1. orangewoolcry

orangewoolcry Member Guru

GPU:
    geforce 680 gtx
    yeah and i got a good psu 1200 watt gold rated 80+, but yeah max wattage ive seen on full load was up to 390 watts with the xoc bios, pretty much in safe range , but as said itd be a dream come true if one could modify the bios to be able to either push those temp downclocking up 30 C or completely disable it , thats whats messing with a stable 2130 or even 2100 mhz over here , it downclocks down to 2055 at 65C

2. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink

Hi there

Asus XOC BIOS is 1000W(with power limit set at 100%), 380W BIOS I only assume its Galax or EVGA BIOS which should be okay there

I have flashed Asus XOC BIOS as second BIOS on my Asus RTX 2080Ti Strix with which I tested I think probably every BIOS possible, with most of the BIOS you will loose one DP port and HDMI port because I/O is different on most of the GPUs unless you are using Asus BIOS(Strix, Matrix or Strix White OC, XOC etc) with which you will not loose DP or HDMI port

Asus XOC BIOS I have tested on my loop with power limit set at 48% and card pulled from wall exactly 480W or similarly I have seen that in Furmark or 3DMark etc or in gaming as well, with that BIOS I could run stable 2205-2220MHz if temperatures are below 36°C above that GPU will start to drop clocks

Try MSI Afterburner there, less hassle for me there, I tried EVGA Precision X1 and I hate that SW, caused few issues with multiple GPUs in my case

Regarding yours loop, if you are running two or dual D5 then try raise RPM on these pumps and compare temperatures with higher pump speeds,D5 are not noisy pumps depending on case, I can't hear my D5 and my dual DDC pumps in my loop, for fans try raise RPM too, try something like 850-1000 RPM

There is no BIOS which allows us to disable temperature downclocking or modify BIOS , we still don't have Pascal BIOS tweaker and I don't think we will ever see such BIOS tweaker

I done few minutes ago test with my highest OC 2205-2220MHz in 3DMARK and has passed without the problems, max GPU temperature 32-33°C in lower ambient 18°C

This 8 pin limit have been debunked over here several times, please check post over here, I posted few links on Tin and other XOC OC which debunked this myth few times, if you have good PSU then you shouldn't be worried about it there

I think Derbau8er modified his Strix with extra 3rd 8 pin connector which is possible to do so if you want to

I run on my Asus RTX 2080Ti Strix max 600W that's with Asus XOC BIOS just for testing and wanted know if temperatures woupd exponentially increases or how my loop will cope with such load and heat

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

3. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    150 watt spec for an 8 pin is not a myth. TiN wouldn't have said that. Maybe you though we said limit? Like you and I said, you can pull well over the spec with a good PSU. There's nothing to debunk.
    I believe the Kingpin 2080 Ti's LN2 bios removes the temp limit. Pretty sure that only works on that specific card though. That card also has 3 8 pin connectors.

4. orangewoolcry

GPU:
    geforce 680 gtx
    im wondering if someone would be able to mod the kingpin ln2 bios to make it compatible with strix oc , that way wed have the best of both worlds , one can only dream

5. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Here is quote from Kingpin

Kingpin BIOS will works on most reference PCB and on most EVGA GPUs what I read, I didn't tried Kingpin BIOS on my Asus RTX 2080Ti Strix, sadly this is only one BIOS which I never tried

But I would recommend use this BIOS on only water cooled GPUs

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

6. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Sadly not sure if this BIOS is possible, thos would be only possible by Asus XOC team or who can actually edit BIOS

Yes I would prefer something like this as well there, no temp limit or no temperature downclocking

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

7. orangewoolcry

GPU:
    geforce 680 gtx
    well that makes 2 of us then , good to know, lols , now just need someone to get in touch with maybe the xoc team to take this baby on to unlock the full potential of 2080ti finally, especially with the strix oc version chips which are solid TU104-400A-A1. chips , for those that dont use industry like cooling and pumps at full speed sounding like an aquarium with an jet engine attached, lols, im just surprised noone has asked for this as of yet

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  8. sultanofswing

sultanofswing Member

GPU:
    HD7650M
    Just use the Kingpin XOC Bios on the Strix, it works just fine. I ran it on my Founders 2080ti until I got an actual Kingpin.

If you want to try it Make sure you have good cooling as that Bios is hard Locked to 1.1v

9. slovak_killer

slovak_killer Guest

GPU:
    2080Ti Lightning Z
    And whats wrong with Strix XOC bios ? It has big PL (1000W) and has some throttle limits disabled... what do u need more for OC ?

10. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    It was an interesting read but still doesn't say what the recommendation is. For example, I have 8+8+6 pin on my GPU, should I use one, two or three cables?

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    2 is fine, the extra 6 pin is only intended for ln2 overclocking.

12. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Thanks.

By the way, long time ago I read some article where a guy came to the conclusion that the extra 6-pin was only there for show (make it look like the card was a power monster) and didn't actually do anything or was connected to anything. I tried booting with only 8+8pin but that didn't work so it does do something. Wish I had the link for you but I couldn't even begin to remember where I read it.

13. orangewoolcry

GPU:
    geforce 680 gtx
    as said we need a xoc bios that disables the temp throttling , anyone know if the xoc kingpin ln2 bios actually works with the strix , cause something tells me it wont without modification considering the strix is non reference and has an additional hdmi port and only 2 8 pin

14. sultanofswing

sultanofswing Member

GPU:
    HD7650M
    None of the default kingpin bioses will work properly on a card without 3 8 pins, the kingpin XOC bios works fine though with some drawbacks.

When I had my reference card the best bios was the HOF XOC as the voltage curve still worked and you could control voltage all the way up to 1.1v

15. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Kingpin XOC BIOS will disable one DP port and HDMI port on Asus RTX 2080Ti Strix, that's for sure, Asus have non reference PCB, on reference PCB I would expect all DP ports and HDMI ports will work with Kingpin XOC BIOS

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

16. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

There is no recommendation for this, if you are using quality PSU then you can in theory run 1k on 8+8 pin, I have tried run 600W on my Asus RTX 2080Ti Strix and no issues, didn't tried go beyond 600W

Personally I would use all three 8+8+6

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

Netherwind likes this.
  17. sultanofswing

sultanofswing Member

GPU:
    HD7650M
    Why are your temps so high on a watercooled loop in the first place? Turing will actually start a downclock at 35-36c then 40c then 46c etc etc.
    For custom watercooling you should be able to keep the card below 45c with ease.

18. orangewoolcry

GPU:
    geforce 680 gtx
    not quite so , since im running a full loop , cpu , gpu , motherboard sb and nb , on a 540mm rad with 180mm 800rpm push fans , ramp up to 1000 on fluid temps over 42/45 C and d5 rpms at 4400 and 3400 , a gpm flow of about 0.5 due to a full fine mesh filter integrated in the loop , so you see its setup for minimum DBs not maximum cooling , i usually go for minimum DBs ,and cooling comes afterwards , hence why the temps are so high unlike some of you guys , hence why the downclocking is ridiculous to me , shouldnt start downclocking if at all starting at 80C if at all , which id never reach even with 600 Watt , tops id recon would be 75C with a vcore of 1.25

19. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Got my third card on RMA due to the fans giving up on my old one (whirling sound on any speed above 50%). Unfortunately I got really bad coil whine on this new card but I must say that it sure does pack a punch when it comes to the OC department. Unfortunately I cannot use these clocks as 24/7 but i have never owned a card that does 2100MHz. During the test it dropped to 2085MHz but it's still good (though at 100% fan speed of course).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

fantaskarsef and jura11 like this.
  20. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    That's actually pretty good under air, isn't it? Never tuned my card but default it doesn't go to 2100MHz under water with stock bios.
    Grats still, I guess you need to use your headphones more often now because of the coilwhine :D

jura11 likes this.