The RTX 2080Ti thread (cont.)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Glidefan, Mar 31, 2019.

1. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Its strange guys you have issues with Chrome and when you switching BIOS because I never encountered such issues or problems with Chrome etc

But still great results with Matrix BIOS there, I have too better results with Matrix BIOS than Galax 380W BIOS

2200MHz I don't think I can touch, 2190Mhz is my best OC but that's in very very low ambient and water temperature, usually I run my Asus RTX 2080Ti Strix with 2145-2160MHz, as usually I lost on silicone lottery

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

Driller_au likes this.
  2. Driller_au

Driller_au Member Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Airo
    I don't think you lost the lottery mate that 2145-2160mhz is about all i can run in game RTX off, though i haven't tried with the matrix bios to max out core in game, with RTX on in CoD MW and BFV i have to drop under 2100 mhz .
    The reason i flashed the different bios was to see if i could improve the RTX on performance which hasn't changed

jura11 likes this.
  3. bombardier

bombardier Master Guru

GPU:
    4090 Phantom
    2080Ti Memory swap...

[yt]

4. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    What an insane mod, damn.

5. artina90

artina90 Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    Guys has any of you experienced driver crashes with a solid color fill on screen, with random colors, when putting a 2080Ti FE under any load?

A few days ago I was playing borderlands 3 when suddenly the game crashed to the desktop, then the screen got stuck on a random color until the driver recovered.
    Now even simply moving the mouse around or opening Chrome causes a crash with random colors filling the screen.

After several driver re-installs and all sorts of troubleshooting, I have opened a ticket on the Nvidia support portal. I suspect it might be the GPU failing but customer care hasn't provided a definitive answer yet, they are still "researching" the issue.
    The gpu is 40 days old, I have never had GPU fail on me before in 14 years of building my own rigs.
    I don't seen anything else I could do software side to fix the issue, any input would be appreciated.

6. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    Havent here, on latest drivers, what memory is on your card?

7. artina90

artina90 Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    It's Micron, I knew about the issues so I didn't even attempt to overclock it.
    What's strange is that even setting the memory to -500 in afterburner doesn't bring the card back to stability, this is the only reason why I am still considering the possibility that the crashes and random color fills might be software related.
    I have also tried the debug mode in the control panel without luck.

8. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    You guys got nothing :D Completely stock my card boosts to 1875MHz at best running full load benchmarks. OC max without crashes is ~1920MHz with an aggressive fan profile but in Borderlands 3 where load isn't always maxed I can do 1995MHz, though with fans at a fixed high RPM.

So I think my card earned the title of "Silicone lottery looser".

9. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink

Hi there

I know how you feel mate, have friend who have similar luck like you have or he lost big time with his Asus RTX 2080Ti Strix too silicone lottery, his RTX 2080Ti wouldn't do 2000MHz(1950MHz is best OC) with any OC, temperatures have greeat in 60's, anything above +20MHz on core would crash, VRAM too on his one is one of poorest +75MHz

But yes yours one does look like is one poor OC'er, not sure how yours card would run under water if yours clocks would improve a bit but still you are lost on Silicone lottery big time mate, sadly

Regarding my Asus RTX 2080Ti Strix, its not bad OC, but seen better ones as another friend have same Asus RTX 2080Ti Strix with Heatkiller IV waterblock and his card would do 2175MHz in every benchmark which in my case I would need to be in freezing temperatures to hit that and still I don't think I wouod ever hit such clocks maybe with bit of luck hahaha

But experienced too few watercooled RTX 2080Ti which would do 1995MHz under watet as max and that's it, one of Palit wouldn't do more than 2010MHz under load and that's in nice temperatures in 30's under load now

Hope this helps and if you can RMA this sucker mate

Thanks, Jura

Netherwind and fantaskarsef like this.
  10. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Hey Jura.

Interesting thing. A friend bought an ASUS 2080Ti Strix OC on Black Friday and he gave it to me for testing. I threw +130 core and +1000 Mem on it (just like on my own card), fired up Quake II RTX and...well, the results speak for themselves.
    [​IMG]

The OC result is the same between his and my card (~1920MHz) but the difference is that with his card the driver didn't seem to crash like it does on mine. Also I found the card to run cooler but the fan noise sounded a bit worse I think.

About water, I think you are right that mine could do better than on air. Here is me running +100core/+1000mem where I've just about started SotTR (so the GPU is very cool in the beginning).
    [​IMG]

I tried RMA my card but unfortunately they didn't accept it. But it's OK, I can just hope that 3080Ti is released in about half a year and then I'll consider putting my whole computer under water (I need to try that once in my lifetime).

The1, fantaskarsef and jura11 like this.

11. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

I must admit I never played Quake or Doom(not even non RTX),not sure why I never liked them and never tried them too

Now back to yours observations and test,I suspect this yours friend Asus RTX 2080Ti Strix would do under water 2145-2160MHz quite easy maybe bit more,during yours tests did you hit any power limit or voltage limit etc because I see its running just 0.9v at 1920MHz,in some other games I would suspect it would probably boost bit higher with higher voltages and higher bins,something like this my RTX 2080Ti Strix would do at 1.0v 2070MHz and at 1.06-1.075v would do 2145-2160MHz that's with Matrix BIOS and +80MHz on core/700MHz on VRAM

I would expect under water you should achieve at least 2085-2100MHz maybe 2115MHz with bit of luck, don't remember what boost you should see when all conditions are met, my last MSI have been MSI GTX1080Ti Gaming X 11G I think and that card have run hot under water and OC'ed very poorly what I remember

That's sad they're didn't accepted RMA abd regrading the going with water cooling,when you try that firat time you will be don't want go with anything else but I still would prefer air cooled build just from simplicity and noise in some cases

Hope this helps and good luck mate

Thanks, Jura

12. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Yesterday I have done few test and benchmarks and played few games and tested mainly stability in games,rendering and pretty happy with final results,although 442.01 is not best driver for benching 430.86 is better one for sure

2190MHz/+700MHz on VRAM(didn't pushed clocks beyond 700MHz)

[​IMG]2175MHz/+700MHz on VRAM,this one is my daily OC

[​IMG]

BIOS I'm using Asus Matrix BIOS

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

13. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    With Ampere reportedly being released during upcoming March (this is probably not going to be true) it's probably not a good time to buy a 2080 ti but I'm itching to get one. :/

Prices on the ti vary in price greatly, out of curiosity what's the best one for around £1100?

14. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    Hm, okay then. :(

15. orangewoolcry

orangewoolcry Member Guru

GPU:
    geforce 680 gtx
    can anyone help me out here , ive got a strix oc 2080ti, and want atleast the 380watt bios , but also want the temperature monitoring to be disabled , since its set so sensitive, that clocks start downclocking once you reach 55 degrees and upwards, its in a full watercooled loop , 65-70 shouldnt be an issue and it shouldnt be downclocking , i am using evgas boost feature to keep constant stable set clocks , but as said as soon as temps go up to 55 and beyond it starts dropping down to 2055 mhz on the core from 2130 mhz, help would be appreciated

16. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I don't live in the UK but I do know of Scan so I checked there. I'd go for the MSI Gaming X Trio (£1150) since it has the biggest cooler but not the best fan profile (you can however set a custom fan profile so that's not a problem). Next would be the ASUS Rog Strix which has similar cooling power though a different fan sound profile than the MSI but it's costs over £1200 so I guess that's outside your budget. After that we have EVGA XC Gaming but it's also at £1200 and has a worse cooler than both mentioned. The cards you want to stay clear of is the Gigabyte Aorus and all Palits since they simply have the worst coolers.

You cannot bypass the temperature throttling since the boost function is hard coded. BIOSes can increase power limit to at least skip that barrier but voltages and temp thresholds are as they are. High frequency is all about cooling and golden chips.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  17. orangewoolcry

GPU:
    geforce 680 gtx
    thats a shame , was hoping for a way to disable or increase the range it starts the throttling , damn, guess i shouldve bought the kingpin edition that has an ln2 bios , disables ALL throttles , damn it

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  18. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink

Hi there

Best BIOS for Asus RTX 2080Ti Strix is XOC which in theory can push 1000W with power limit at 100% or you can try Matrix BIOS, this one I'm using and with this BIOS you should have higher headroom regarding the power limit, its 366W I think BIOS, currently running 2160-2175MHz for gaming and for quick benchmarks my Asus RTX 2080Ti Strix will do 2190-2205MHz, tried only few games to run with 2190-2205MHz, in some it will passes quite easily, in some just won't or will crash, its random and tried few things like downclocking VRAM which doesn't helped at all or locking clocks through the V/F curve which helped a bit but still something is not right

55°C on GPU in water cooling loop,how many radiators do you have and what block are you using? My Asus RTX 2080Ti usually sits in 36-41°C in gaming depending on ambient temperature mostly but usually its in 36-38°C

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

fantaskarsef likes this.
  19. orangewoolcry

GPU:
    geforce 680 gtx
    well , about my wc setup , the gpu goes up to 65 C on full on load with boost clock set to p0 state per precisionx1, why the temps , well i want my pc dead silent , so the d5 pumps , yes im using 2, are set low enough to barely move enough water and the rad is a 540mm , fans run at 700 rpm usually but ramp up once fluid temps hit 45 and up , that way i get all the performance without the noise , of course doing as such i wont run the gpu at 40 C , but that wouldnt be an issue , IF i could disable or atleast increase the temp downclocking when it starts. btw im already using the XOC bios which allows for 380 watts, not sure if anything beyond is possible seeing as there are only 2 8 pins and per specs shouldnt allow for more than a max of about 400 Watts

20. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Spec for an 8 pin is 150 watts. So two of those with the PCI-e slot itself is 375 watts. My FTW3 bios maxes out at 373, so right up against that.
    Anything more than that and you're pulling beyond spec, which honestly 5 extra watts to get to 380 ain't gonna hurt anything even on a crap PSU. Depending on the PSU, you can pull pretty far out of spec without lasting issues.