The RTX 2080Ti thread (cont.)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Glidefan, Mar 31, 2019.

1. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti 1080 FE
    Hi there

With Galax 380W BIOS you will loose one DP port and HDMI port that's for sure on Asus RTX 2080Ti Strix because Galax 380W BIOS is more oriented for reference PCB not custom PCB like is Asus RTX 2080Ti Strix

Matrix BIOS is best for me because I have two monitors setup and 4k TV as well and can use all ports, difference in OC I would say XOC BIOS is best for OC, in good ambient temperature and low water temperature I can push my to 2190MHz but that's is absolutely max which I achieved only two times, stock Strix BIOS is poor one because low power limit as you know, OC is OK on this BIOS

With Matrix which I think is 360W my best OC is 2145-2160MHz with +800MHz on VRAM and no issues in gaming

Personally I would flash Matrix BIOS on Quiet switch BIOS and leave 380W like that, you will see with which you have better experience

I think abd I tested that, Matrix BIOS seems is better in results than Galax 380W BIOS because of Galax 380W BIOS does use or have loose VRAM timings if you comparing to Matrix or XOC BIOS

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

Driller_au likes this.
  2. Driller_au

Driller_au Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Ti OC
    Thanks Jura11 well explained, i think i will flash the matrix bios over the galax bios as i have had a few video scheduler error blue screens since i flashed the galax bios , it did seem better after i increased the VCCIO and SA in bios

3. Nastya

Nastya Member Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2080 Ti OC
    Since most of the experiences about flashing other BIOSes in this thread turned out positive, I went ahead and tried it out myself.
    Flashed the Strix 2080 Ti Matrix BIOS onto my Strix 2080 Ti OC BIOS, seemed fine at first, however Chrome would suddenly consist of a giant corrupted black window, and the OC Scanner would straight up quit after 30 Seconds, leaving the average OC at 0 Mhz.

Not sure what I did wrong, flashed back the old BIOS and everything is good again.

4. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI OC H20
    Run CCleaner / bleachbit to clean out temp files, / reg clean, then reinstall chrome, usually fixes it, ive had it happen to me.
    Alternatively exit Chrome and remove the ''Google'' folder in C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Local, & DDU your gpu drivers after a bios switch can sort it.
    Believe its to do with the hardware acceleration switch, as switching the bios, is pretty much like switching to a different GPU.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019

5. Nastya

Nastya Member Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2080 Ti OC
    Thanks for the input, I did just that, although my user data folder got lost in the process, Chrome started up fine again. Tried DDUing the previous driver install to no avail.

Maybe I flashed the BIOS wrong? Downloaded the most recent nvflash, then just input nvflash64 -6 TU102.rom. Disabled the driver in the device manager beforehand.

EDIT: All OC Scanner problems were able to be fixed by an OS reinstall.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  6. Driller_au

Driller_au Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Ti OC
    I am new to this bios flashing to, every time i flashed chrome was a black screen after i flashed the galax and matrix bios i just used edge to download chrome and over wrote the install and all was good didn't lose anything that way, on techpowerup there are two matrix bios i used the one ending in C ( 90.02.30.00.4C ) which has been good for me though i didn't use OC scanner just put my overclocks back in manually

Some fun facts about the galax 380w and matrix 360w bios on my 2080 Ti strix
    time spy results
    galax bios 2175mhz 13892 score. 2200mhz 14543 score
    matrix bios 2175mhz 14655 score 2200mhz crash
    so for me the matrix bios is far better

jura11 likes this.
  7. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti 1080 FE
    Hi there

Its strange you have issues with Matrix BIOS because I flashed this BIOS on two other Asus RTX 2080Ti Strix which are friends ones and both perform pretty well, good OC although I didn't used MSI Afterburner OC Scanner

Stock base or boost clock for Asus RTX 2080Ti Matrix is 2070MHz and VRAM is usually running at higher speeds too I think 300-400MHz is higher than base clock on RTX 2080Ti due this I recommend try add +500MHz or you can try +700MHz if you have Samsung memory

I personally running +70-90MHz on core on Matrix BIOS, in some benchmarks I can run +110-125MHz on core

Best to date OC on Matrix BIOS is 2190Mhz and usual OC sits at 2145-2160MHz

This Chrome issue I never encountered there

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

8. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti 1080 FE
    Its strange guys you have issues with Chrome and when you switching BIOS because I never encountered such issues or problems with Chrome etc

But still great results with Matrix BIOS there, I have too better results with Matrix BIOS than Galax 380W BIOS

2200MHz I don't think I can touch, 2190Mhz is my best OC but that's in very very low ambient and water temperature, usually I run my Asus RTX 2080Ti Strix with 2145-2160MHz, as usually I lost on silicone lottery

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

Driller_au likes this.
  9. Driller_au

Driller_au Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Ti OC
    I don't think you lost the lottery mate that 2145-2160mhz is about all i can run in game RTX off, though i haven't tried with the matrix bios to max out core in game, with RTX on in CoD MW and BFV i have to drop under 2100 mhz .
    The reason i flashed the different bios was to see if i could improve the RTX on performance which hasn't changed

jura11 likes this.
  10. bombardier

bombardier Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti GAMING
    2080Ti Memory swap...

[yt]

11. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070
    What an insane mod, damn.

12. artina90

artina90 Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Guys has any of you experienced driver crashes with a solid color fill on screen, with random colors, when putting a 2080Ti FE under any load?

A few days ago I was playing borderlands 3 when suddenly the game crashed to the desktop, then the screen got stuck on a random color until the driver recovered.
    Now even simply moving the mouse around or opening Chrome causes a crash with random colors filling the screen.

After several driver re-installs and all sorts of troubleshooting, I have opened a ticket on the Nvidia support portal. I suspect it might be the GPU failing but customer care hasn't provided a definitive answer yet, they are still "researching" the issue.
    The gpu is 40 days old, I have never had GPU fail on me before in 14 years of building my own rigs.
    I don't seen anything else I could do software side to fix the issue, any input would be appreciated.

13. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI OC H20
    Havent here, on latest drivers, what memory is on your card?

14. artina90

artina90 Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    It's Micron, I knew about the issues so I didn't even attempt to overclock it.
    What's strange is that even setting the memory to -500 in afterburner doesn't bring the card back to stability, this is the only reason why I am still considering the possibility that the crashes and random color fills might be software related.
    I have also tried the debug mode in the control panel without luck.

15. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    You guys got nothing :D Completely stock my card boosts to 1875MHz at best running full load benchmarks. OC max without crashes is ~1920MHz with an aggressive fan profile but in Borderlands 3 where load isn't always maxed I can do 1995MHz, though with fans at a fixed high RPM.

So I think my card earned the title of "Silicone lottery looser".

16. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti 1080 FE

Hi there

I know how you feel mate, have friend who have similar luck like you have or he lost big time with his Asus RTX 2080Ti Strix too silicone lottery, his RTX 2080Ti wouldn't do 2000MHz(1950MHz is best OC) with any OC, temperatures have greeat in 60's, anything above +20MHz on core would crash, VRAM too on his one is one of poorest +75MHz

But yes yours one does look like is one poor OC'er, not sure how yours card would run under water if yours clocks would improve a bit but still you are lost on Silicone lottery big time mate, sadly

Regarding my Asus RTX 2080Ti Strix, its not bad OC, but seen better ones as another friend have same Asus RTX 2080Ti Strix with Heatkiller IV waterblock and his card would do 2175MHz in every benchmark which in my case I would need to be in freezing temperatures to hit that and still I don't think I wouod ever hit such clocks maybe with bit of luck hahaha

But experienced too few watercooled RTX 2080Ti which would do 1995MHz under watet as max and that's it, one of Palit wouldn't do more than 2010MHz under load and that's in nice temperatures in 30's under load now

Hope this helps and if you can RMA this sucker mate

Thanks, Jura

Netherwind and fantaskarsef like this.
  17. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    Hey Jura.

Interesting thing. A friend bought an ASUS 2080Ti Strix OC on Black Friday and he gave it to me for testing. I threw +130 core and +1000 Mem on it (just like on my own card), fired up Quake II RTX and...well, the results speak for themselves.
    [​IMG]

The OC result is the same between his and my card (~1920MHz) but the difference is that with his card the driver didn't seem to crash like it does on mine. Also I found the card to run cooler but the fan noise sounded a bit worse I think.

About water, I think you are right that mine could do better than on air. Here is me running +100core/+1000mem where I've just about started SotTR (so the GPU is very cool in the beginning).
    [​IMG]

I tried RMA my card but unfortunately they didn't accept it. But it's OK, I can just hope that 3080Ti is released in about half a year and then I'll consider putting my whole computer under water (I need to try that once in my lifetime).

The1, fantaskarsef and jura11 like this.
  18. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti 1080 FE
    Hi there

I must admit I never played Quake or Doom(not even non RTX),not sure why I never liked them and never tried them too

Now back to yours observations and test,I suspect this yours friend Asus RTX 2080Ti Strix would do under water 2145-2160MHz quite easy maybe bit more,during yours tests did you hit any power limit or voltage limit etc because I see its running just 0.9v at 1920MHz,in some other games I would suspect it would probably boost bit higher with higher voltages and higher bins,something like this my RTX 2080Ti Strix would do at 1.0v 2070MHz and at 1.06-1.075v would do 2145-2160MHz that's with Matrix BIOS and +80MHz on core/700MHz on VRAM

I would expect under water you should achieve at least 2085-2100MHz maybe 2115MHz with bit of luck, don't remember what boost you should see when all conditions are met, my last MSI have been MSI GTX1080Ti Gaming X 11G I think and that card have run hot under water and OC'ed very poorly what I remember

That's sad they're didn't accepted RMA abd regrading the going with water cooling,when you try that firat time you will be don't want go with anything else but I still would prefer air cooled build just from simplicity and noise in some cases

Hope this helps and good luck mate

Thanks, Jura

19. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti 1080 FE
    Yesterday I have done few test and benchmarks and played few games and tested mainly stability in games,rendering and pretty happy with final results,although 442.01 is not best driver for benching 430.86 is better one for sure

2190MHz/+700MHz on VRAM(didn't pushed clocks beyond 700MHz)

[​IMG]2175MHz/+700MHz on VRAM,this one is my daily OC

[​IMG]

BIOS I'm using Asus Matrix BIOS

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

20. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti/RadVII/2070S
    With Ampere reportedly being released during upcoming March (this is probably not going to be true) it's probably not a good time to buy a 2080 ti but I'm itching to get one. :/

Prices on the ti vary in price greatly, out of curiosity what's the best one for around £1100?