The RTX 2080Ti thread (cont.)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Glidefan, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Socio

Socio Member

I got one two weeks ago, I had two AMD RX 580's in my workstation that is about 5 years old, I was very apprehensive about spending that much money on a card and not getting much in the way of improvement in my older system, plus I had a monitor that was 60hz and 75hz with freesync enabled and was not sure how it would handle it.

It was like night and day, I got a huge performance boost and it runs my monitor at 75Hz, here is a before and after benchmarks stock setting on the same system and even though it says RX 470 they are actually RX 580's :

https://i.**********/yYT12qY7/Superposition-Benchmark-v1-1-Radeon.jpg

https://i.**********/ZRkzCjKf/Superposition-Benchmark-v1-1-Nvidia.png

I can play Metro Exodus at 4k res with ray tracing enabled and plays as smooth as silk!

endbase and fantaskarsef like this.
  2. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Well... welcome in the big boys club! :D you are clearly now playing in a different league as before.
    Many have said this already, but I will reiterate: this is the best video card made in the recent years! Period. Just don’t look at the price :) I for one am not. Will buy the next big ti from Nvidia as I think it will deliver big.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  3. Dan Longman

Dan Longman Active Member

GPU:
    2080ti watercooled
    I threw a g12 with a kraken x62 on my Asus Dual OC 2080ti yesterday.

It's bonkers running a quiet profile and max temp on 100% stress test is 39c, before with my fans at 100% it was 70c
    no thermal throttling and my clocks are bonkers running same OC and under heavy load before I would get around 2015-2055 mhz and drop down to about 1985mhz when it would hit 69-70c

Now it's running 2085 - up to 2100-2130mhz depending on powercap. and it's sooooo quiet.

Looks like a frankenstien though between the VRM heatsinks I added, and the 40mm fan I zipped tied to the other side since the 2080ti has a bank of VRMS on both sides of the die and the g12 only covers the one.

[​IMG]

I cut off the extra zip tie stuff so its a bit cleaner lol.
    BUT i have a sealed case with no windows so I don't really care how it looks. It performs bonkers now.

I played Outerworlds at 4k60 for hours yesterday and never got above 39c it's great.

only downside is coil whine is much more noticeable now.

4. 13thCaesar

13thCaesar Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 2080 Ti
    Well I ended up joining the club about a month ago. Got an Asus ROG Strix 2080 Ti OC.
    It's pretty late in the game to be buying one of these cards I think with the 3080s rumored to be coming out March next year.
    Buyers regret? yeah a we bit to be honest, it hasn't put me out of pocket per say but still I should have held off this Gen... but anyway its done now. Oh well I got COD:MW out of it so that's something I suppose.

5. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI OC H20
    id say later than march, more further in the year.

6. Socio

Socio Member

Or do what I am planning to do when those come out and pickup a good used one that people upgrading to the new ones will be selling for cheap, I would think two 2080's in SLI mode it would be almost as powerful as a single 3080 version.

7. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    I’m saving up for my 3080 Ti.

I’m expecting a huge jump in performance since we have a node change this time around. 16nm to 12nm wasn’t really a node change at all, just an improved process.

Nvidia will have more competition next year, so we might be back to 50-65% improvement in performance. Hopefully we have double the RT cores and hopefully they’re twice as efficient. Should make DLSS useless and 4K native RTX possible.

Till next year...

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
    DLG likes this.
  8. eon2000

eon2000 New Member

GPU:
    Patriot 16GIG
  9. darrensimmons

darrensimmons Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI DUKE OC
    Been doing some testing on my 2080ti duke. Will boost to 2150 with +130 on core and 8000mhz on memory. The memory is samsung so got lucky there. Core will run at +150 but wanna make sure I keep this card for a while. Love this card sooooo much:)

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
  10. Dan Longman

Dan Longman Active Member

GPU:
    2080ti watercooled
    I think you mean 2145, 2150 isn't a step. :p

on water my card will sustain 2130/2115 under load dropping to 2100 when hitting power cap @ 120%, @ 39c

If I push it higher it will crash but super stable at these settings even with RTX titles such as control.
    factory OC on my card is 90mhz, then I have +150mhz core in AB and +800mhz memory I can go to 900 on memory but no performance increases over 800. (only micron memory in mine)

11. darrensimmons

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI DUKE OC
    Yeah sorry just rounding up :)

12. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 Ti GX Trio
    Glad to hear that you got a nice card! After I got over the initial wow factor and OC testing, I started reducing voltage. I've since ended up with a totally stable 2070MHz core/8000MHz mem @ 1.000v

That has reduced power usage by anywhere from 10% to 17% depending on the game, so much less chance of bouncing off the power limiter when at full load. Maybe give it a try? In my case, 2100MHz+ @ 1.05v just isn't worth the extra heat and power compared to 2070MHz @1.000v :)

13. darrensimmons

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI DUKE OC
    Thanks. I haven't messed with the voltage at all its still locked in msi afterburner. I don't think i'd get much more upping the voltage plus don't want to limit the life of the card tbh.

14. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    Any of you guys had experience with both the ASUS Strix OC card and the MSI Gaming X Trio? Which would you recommend? I've RMAd my 2nd MSI card now and I'm thinking if I should ask them to give me the ASUS as replacement card instead of the MSI? I have a friend who has the ASUS and in his case it feels like the fan noise is pretty pleasant. This card does not OC too well but I guess it's the silicon lottery as always.

15. darrensimmons

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI DUKE OC
    Go for the Duke, it's mental :)

16. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti 1080 FE
    Personally I would go with Asus RTX 2080Ti Strix, have one and very pleased with performance of this GPU, OC well and no issues

Best BIOS for this card is Matrix BIOS

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

17. lukas_1987_dion

lukas_1987_dion Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti AMP! OC
    Is my card dying? I mean before I could OC it by 70mhz for core now it only accepts 20mhz before restarting my PC while playing (for example) Devil May Cry 5. Or it's other issue?
    I have 2080Ti Zotac AMP, latest drivers, DDU cleaned and installed.

18. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti 1080 FE
    Hi there

I don't think its yours GPU dying, it can be down to game too, in some games I'm running 2145-2160MHz in some 2115MHz as max and in RT enabled games 2085-2100MHz as max

Just double check in other games etc there

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

19. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    Thanks for your inpuit but my RMA got denied so I'm stuck with my crappy card.

I've got the same problem as you man. I could OC fairly well before but after a few months I can hardly OC at all, also the card now gets quite hot. I don't get PC restarts, instead I get CTDs due to nVidia display driver crash.

Can't wait for Ampere and I'll also never touch MSI again.

lukas_1987_dion likes this.
  20. Driller_au

Driller_au Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Ti OC
    Hi Jura11, on my 2080Ti strix i used the galax 380w bios but lost a port ( i don't need it ) i was just wondering in what ways is the 360w matrix bios is better ? as you test these things a lot