The RTX 2080Ti thread (cont.)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Glidefan, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Doesn't that depend on the manufacturer?

2. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    yeah think evga are cool with it, no pun intended. Others can be finicky. Definitely no on palits, thus why my warranty is long gone.

3. Nastya

Nastya Member Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    A thermal paste change shouldn't pose a problem with any large name in the GPU business, bar Zotac.

4. Party Poison

Party Poison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4090

MSI will honour warranty on changed paste just pop the original cooler on. I used to know an msi rep said it was fine and I myself sent a 1080 to them and they sorted it no issues.

5. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    Palit was quite abrupt in saying you cant do anything with it.

6. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Then don't buy Palit. Period. Anyone with such a draconian warranty limitation is not the norm for the industry.

7. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
    Ok so today, my MSI Gaming X Trio will arrive :D, let's see what it can do! One month without a GPU lol, but I was on vacation, so not really a big deal.

PS: I picked the MSI, because it was the better one of them all, that I had to choose from, as a replacement for my dead Palit one.

BuildeR2 and Maddness like this.
  8. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    I am very interested in your adventures! My delivery got delayed 2 days due to late UPS trucks, so I won't get my GPU until Friday night............. :(

9. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
    Ok so I’m very happy with the card. Out of the box it does 1960 -1980 boost most of the time, with very rare drops to 1890 sometimes. Temperatures stay bellow 55 Celsius , but I have Setup a very aggressive fan curve. It’s not loud for me, but I do game with headphones. Did not overclock so far, but will start to do so next days. I have Samsung memories on it.

BuildeR2 likes this.
  10. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Let me start off with WOW! I haven't been wowed with a GPU like this in many years. The build quality, the size, the materials and what not. It just feels and looks great in person. Mine is boosting to ~1950MHz out of the box as well, maxing at 75C with the default silent fan curve.

I ran all my benches to get a baseline and was impressed, then played several games and was impressed. Coming from my 1080Ti FTW3, this card is much quieter and stays cooler. Then I made a fan curve that I still can't hear but keeps things under 70C at all times.

One thing I have noticed is that the card is constantly bouncing off the power limiter, so I set off to flash the 406W BIOS for this card. Sadly, it didn't end up working because of some XUSB error since my cards BIOS is too new. I then went through all of the MSI Lightning Z BIOS files on TPU and found that the most recent one (mid November) DOES flash properly to my card with an early April BIOS.

That got me from the base power limit of 330W to 380W, and in fact it regularly exceeds that and maintains clocks so I believe it to be nearer to 400W or 406W. Lucky enough to get Samsung VRAM, I set out to overclock. I increased VRAM speeds by +250MHz at a time and tested for 20 minutes, ending up at +1250MHz without crashing or artifacts. Scores didn't really go up much past +1050MHz, so I'm just leaving it at an even +1000MHz for now. Core wise, I went up 15MHz at a time and ended at +120MHz.

Depending on the game, this will end up at core clocks of 2055MHz - 2100MHz. Forza Horizon 4, GR : Wildlands and Gears 5 obviously push hardware and settle at 2055MHz near 68C, while Diablo 3, Civ 6 and Divinity OS 2 go from 2085MHz - 2100MHz. The lighter games keep the core voltage at 1.05v while heavier games bring it down to 1.031v, and this is all with the voltage slider untouched.

I'm loving this card so far! Also, thanks for the breakdown @Netherwind I'll be watching for thermal paste degradation that you mentioned.

11. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
    ^Very nice to hear that you enjoy your card m8! I can say that my card is very stable and I do not really feel the need to OC just yet :D , also I have years since I've last time messed with a VBIOS, and not sure if I have the bal** to do it now lol :D I mean if something goes wrong, you are left with a brick. Would have been nice to have dual BIOS on the card.

BuildeR2 likes this.
  12. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    2080-ti is a beast - Raytracing aside - This card is chewing any video games on the market like it was double chocolate ship cookies.

eGGroLLiO, Archvile82 and serbicu like this.
  13. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Huge congratulations dude, I really envy your card. Funny that your stock boost exceeds my OC boost :D All right, I'll go and grouch in a corner.

BuildeR2 likes this.
  14. Archvile82

Archvile82 Master Guru

GPU:
    ROG STRIX 4090 OC
    For all the flack this card recived on release due to the hefty price its still my favourite Nvidia card, superb performance and build quality - owned founders since release.

Fantastic performance paird with a 9900k...now all I need is a C9...then it will be 3080ti...damn technology :D

15. Socio

Socio Member

I got one two weeks ago, I had two AMD RX 580's in my workstation that is about 5 years old, I was very apprehensive about spending that much money on a card and not getting much in the way of improvement in my older system, plus I had a monitor that was 60hz and 75hz with freesync enabled and was not sure how it would handle it.

It was like night and day, I got a huge performance boost and it runs my monitor at 75Hz, here is a before and after benchmarks stock setting on the same system and even though it says RX 470 they are actually RX 580's :

https://i.**********/yYT12qY7/Superposition-Benchmark-v1-1-Radeon.jpg

https://i.**********/ZRkzCjKf/Superposition-Benchmark-v1-1-Nvidia.png

I can play Metro Exodus at 4k res with ray tracing enabled and plays as smooth as silk!

endbase and fantaskarsef like this.

16. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
    Well... welcome in the big boys club! :D you are clearly now playing in a different league as before.
    Many have said this already, but I will reiterate: this is the best video card made in the recent years! Period. Just don’t look at the price :) I for one am not. Will buy the next big ti from Nvidia as I think it will deliver big.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  17. Dan Longman

Dan Longman Master Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    I threw a g12 with a kraken x62 on my Asus Dual OC 2080ti yesterday.

It's bonkers running a quiet profile and max temp on 100% stress test is 39c, before with my fans at 100% it was 70c
    no thermal throttling and my clocks are bonkers running same OC and under heavy load before I would get around 2015-2055 mhz and drop down to about 1985mhz when it would hit 69-70c

Now it's running 2085 - up to 2100-2130mhz depending on powercap. and it's sooooo quiet.

Looks like a frankenstien though between the VRM heatsinks I added, and the 40mm fan I zipped tied to the other side since the 2080ti has a bank of VRMS on both sides of the die and the g12 only covers the one.

[​IMG]

I cut off the extra zip tie stuff so its a bit cleaner lol.
    BUT i have a sealed case with no windows so I don't really care how it looks. It performs bonkers now.

I played Outerworlds at 4k60 for hours yesterday and never got above 39c it's great.

only downside is coil whine is much more noticeable now.

18. 13thCaesar

13thCaesar Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim Liq
    Well I ended up joining the club about a month ago. Got an Asus ROG Strix 2080 Ti OC.
    It's pretty late in the game to be buying one of these cards I think with the 3080s rumored to be coming out March next year.
    Buyers regret? yeah a we bit to be honest, it hasn't put me out of pocket per say but still I should have held off this Gen... but anyway its done now. Oh well I got COD:MW out of it so that's something I suppose.

19. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    id say later than march, more further in the year.

20. Socio

Socio Member

Or do what I am planning to do when those come out and pickup a good used one that people upgrading to the new ones will be selling for cheap, I would think two 2080's in SLI mode it would be almost as powerful as a single 3080 version.