The RTX 2080Ti thread (cont.)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Glidefan, Mar 31, 2019.

1. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI OC H20
    what happened to it?

edit: nvm just read, that happened to my original palit card, pretty much burnt out, the replacement is going strong under water since new though. No issues at all.

2. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Still on vacation, so when back I'm going to make my choice, from the brands that I can choose from :D

insp1re2600 likes this.
  3. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    Hey Gurus, long story short I just bought an MSI 2080Ti Gaming X Trio new in box from a friend who was going to use it for mining. Does anybody here have experience with this model regarding temps, clocks, noise, fan curves, OCing and flashing?

I'm okay with a moderate amount of noise and I plan on making a custom fan curve after flashing the 406W BIOS. Looking for max OC on air without hitting power limits.

Lastly, regarding BIOS flashing, since this card seems to lack dual BIOS I am slightly worried. If the flash goes wrong, would I be able to flash the 2080Ti in DOS if I put it in my PCIe slot 2 with a GT 1030 in PCIe slot 1 for video output? Thanks!

4. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    I've had one Gaming Trio and now my Gaming X Trio so far and here are my experiences with the card.

Temps : At the beginning they were good, the cooler is huge and can dissipate a lot of heat.
    Clocks : I've hit the bottom of the silicone lottery on both cards so right now I'm at 1920 Max Boost which is way lower than most. This has nothing to do with the card though, it's the chip that's crap.
    Noise : The fans are really quiet up to 50% when I start hearing a soft woosh which gets louder at 55% and bearable up to 60% but beyond that it's too much, at least for me.
    Fan curve : The fan curve is ridiculously conservative so personally I had to change it to make it a bit more aggressive (since I OC).
    OC : OC doesn't have anything to do with the card but more the software you use and like I said before, it's chip specific not brand specific. The only benefit you get is that the chip is OC rated so it will perform better than the worst chips out there.
    Flashing : Haven't tried it but I guess it's no different than any other card. I also miss dual BIOS and think it would make the decision much easier. Power Limit is a huge issue and the 110% rating is way too low.

My card has gotten hotter and hotter these past weeks so maybe you'll have to change paste sooner or later as I'll probably have to do. Not sure if it's degradation or something (I used to be able to sustain higher clocks) but there's been talk about it somewhere on this forum.

BuildeR2 likes this.

5. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI OC H20
    warranty long gone if you change the paste.

6. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Doesn't that depend on the manufacturer?

7. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI OC H20
    yeah think evga are cool with it, no pun intended. Others can be finicky. Definitely no on palits, thus why my warranty is long gone.

8. Nastya

Nastya Active Member

GPU:
    Strix 2080 Ti OC
    A thermal paste change shouldn't pose a problem with any large name in the GPU business, bar Zotac.

9. Party Poison

Party Poison Maha Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 2080Ti

MSI will honour warranty on changed paste just pop the original cooler on. I used to know an msi rep said it was fine and I myself sent a 1080 to them and they sorted it no issues.

10. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI OC H20
    Palit was quite abrupt in saying you cant do anything with it.

11. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    Then don't buy Palit. Period. Anyone with such a draconian warranty limitation is not the norm for the industry.

12. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Ok so today, my MSI Gaming X Trio will arrive :D, let's see what it can do! One month without a GPU lol, but I was on vacation, so not really a big deal.

PS: I picked the MSI, because it was the better one of them all, that I had to choose from, as a replacement for my dead Palit one.

BuildeR2 and Maddness like this.
  13. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    I am very interested in your adventures! My delivery got delayed 2 days due to late UPS trucks, so I won't get my GPU until Friday night............. :(

14. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Ok so I’m very happy with the card. Out of the box it does 1960 -1980 boost most of the time, with very rare drops to 1890 sometimes. Temperatures stay bellow 55 Celsius , but I have Setup a very aggressive fan curve. It’s not loud for me, but I do game with headphones. Did not overclock so far, but will start to do so next days. I have Samsung memories on it.

BuildeR2 likes this.
  15. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    I run my FE at stock. Don’t see the need to OC. There’s no easy way to do it. I don’t want to run evga’s tool in the background so I can adjust the slider past 100%.

16. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    Let me start off with WOW! I haven't been wowed with a GPU like this in many years. The build quality, the size, the materials and what not. It just feels and looks great in person. Mine is boosting to ~1950MHz out of the box as well, maxing at 75C with the default silent fan curve.

I ran all my benches to get a baseline and was impressed, then played several games and was impressed. Coming from my 1080Ti FTW3, this card is much quieter and stays cooler. Then I made a fan curve that I still can't hear but keeps things under 70C at all times.

One thing I have noticed is that the card is constantly bouncing off the power limiter, so I set off to flash the 406W BIOS for this card. Sadly, it didn't end up working because of some XUSB error since my cards BIOS is too new. I then went through all of the MSI Lightning Z BIOS files on TPU and found that the most recent one (mid November) DOES flash properly to my card with an early April BIOS.

That got me from the base power limit of 330W to 380W, and in fact it regularly exceeds that and maintains clocks so I believe it to be nearer to 400W or 406W. Lucky enough to get Samsung VRAM, I set out to overclock. I increased VRAM speeds by +250MHz at a time and tested for 20 minutes, ending up at +1250MHz without crashing or artifacts. Scores didn't really go up much past +1050MHz, so I'm just leaving it at an even +1000MHz for now. Core wise, I went up 15MHz at a time and ended at +120MHz.

Depending on the game, this will end up at core clocks of 2055MHz - 2100MHz. Forza Horizon 4, GR : Wildlands and Gears 5 obviously push hardware and settle at 2055MHz near 68C, while Diablo 3, Civ 6 and Divinity OS 2 go from 2085MHz - 2100MHz. The lighter games keep the core voltage at 1.05v while heavier games bring it down to 1.031v, and this is all with the voltage slider untouched.

I'm loving this card so far! Also, thanks for the breakdown @Netherwind I'll be watching for thermal paste degradation that you mentioned.

17. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    ^Very nice to hear that you enjoy your card m8! I can say that my card is very stable and I do not really feel the need to OC just yet :D , also I have years since I've last time messed with a VBIOS, and not sure if I have the bal** to do it now lol :D I mean if something goes wrong, you are left with a brick. Would have been nice to have dual BIOS on the card.

BuildeR2 likes this.
  18. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA XCUltra 2080Ti
    2080-ti is a beast - Raytracing aside - This card is chewing any video games on the market like it was double chocolate ship cookies.

eGGroLLiO, Archvile82 and serbicu like this.
  19. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Huge congratulations dude, I really envy your card. Funny that your stock boost exceeds my OC boost :D All right, I'll go and grouch in a corner.

BuildeR2 likes this.
  20. Archvile82

Archvile82 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 2080ti FE
    For all the flack this card recived on release due to the hefty price its still my favourite Nvidia card, superb performance and build quality - owned founders since release.

Fantastic performance paird with a 9900k...now all I need is a C9...then it will be 3080ti...damn technology :D