1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The RTX 2080Ti thread (cont.)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Glidefan, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
  2. SiMallV719

SiMallV719 New Member

GPU:
    Rtx2080ti
    Now that the prices are dropping a bit and some RTX stuff is coming through for games thought i might have a go with the RTX2080ti, is the Palit gaming pro OC any good? or are they all about the same anyway?
    Or what cards do you reckon are best for under £1200?

3. Geryboy

Geryboy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080ti AMP Zotac
    it depends on what you want, OC wise. There's cooler and more silent models out there, but it gets the job done.

There's also A chips and non A chips, which clock a little lower and are most likely only in the higher end cards as of now, but not exclusively.

At the end of the day most cards will hit 2050 average core clock with a louder fan curve on air, you get that with entry lvl cards, roughly non A might be 50 or so lower, at the cost of sound.

These cards are extremely sensitive to heat and perform best below 50°C, and ok at around 60°C. With a silent fan profile and temps at around 70°C you do lose about up to 7% performance on average in extreme scenarious as a rule of thumb, the number is not 100% accurate, but gives you a picture.

If you're ok with slightly above stock performance and don't want to OC the Palit card is absolutely fine.

Giving the fact that most high end cards costs up to 200€ more, they are not realy worth it. Buying a normal card is fine and upgrading it with an AIO kit such as the Alphacool Eiswolf is better than a "high end" air cooler, if you want it silent.

SiMallV719 likes this.
  4. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Trio
    @Geryboy I got an A-chip that acts like a non A-chip :) That little bastard...

Based on what I've read on forums the Palit cooler doesn't perform that well so you will have quite a hot and loud card in your hand. If you're OK with this then go for it since it sure is quite cheap.

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o
    :(

6. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Well I’m rocking the Palit gaming oc pro for some months now, got a really good chip, Samsung memories, 2050 easy, stays non-OC mostly between 1950-1975. Also my card is not loud, and with a custom fan curve it stays mostly under 60 - 59 Celsius at full load. I do have a great airflow in my case though :D

So I would definitely recommend this Palit version. But, you are playing the lottery every time you buy a video card, especially with 2080 ti.

chispy likes this.
  7. SiMallV719

SiMallV719 New Member

GPU:
    Rtx2080ti
    Ok thanks guys, I wear headphones for all my games so noise not a problem as long as I can keep temp under control?

8. Geryboy

Geryboy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080ti AMP Zotac
    well he said he can keep it under 60°C, so can I with 100% fan, seems to be holding up.

9. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    It does hold up pretty well never went over 60 for me, and although the fan is mostly between 90 and 100%. Like I said, also depends on the airflow of your case, and what case you have.

10. SiMallV719

SiMallV719 New Member

GPU:
    Rtx2080ti
    Is the MSI 2080ti gaming X trio worth the extra £200 for cooling and fps?

11. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Trio
    Congrats on the lottery dude and crazy air temps :eek: Don't know how you manage that but GG.

That's how I felt, (plus I personally felt it looked sexier) but unfortunately I got really unlucky on the lottery. If I run the fans at 50% (68-70 degrees) then my OC stays around 1980-2010 (at 99% load) but is quite unstable (meaning it throttles). Stock is 1900 something.

While gaming I rarely hit 99% load meaning my OC clock is pretty stable at around 2040MHz.

12. barbacot

barbacot Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti MSI
    Definitely - I have one - I can tell you that is more cool & silent than the ASUS version that I have at work - I also like the fact that MSI gives you a support bracket for the card since it is a real beast in size and weight - I think they are the only one that do that.

13. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Trio
    What stock clocks do you guys get at full load (99%)?

14. klepp0906

klepp0906 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 FE SLI
    so does anyone feel like them adding ray tracing to last gen's cards devalues and makes 2080ti's even more of a ripoff so to speak value wise? Happened RIGHT after i sold my 1080ti and bought a 2080ti.

15. endbase

endbase Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming
    Did you see reviews of ray tracing on GTX cards ?

darrenj likes this.

16. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I haven't read through the entire other thread. Have any of you tried out any of the hybrid coolers? I just ordered the EVGA hybrid cooler and from what I'm reading the temp drop is significant. Mine doesn't run hot but after a few hours of gaming the temps are around 77-78 degrees and the fan gets a bit annoying.

17. Geryboy

Geryboy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080ti AMP Zotac
    yeah AIO should be able to get below or low 50°C which is better than 60°C with 100% fans on air.

@RTX with 10 series, it's at least half the FPS, 100% unplayable.

18. Geryboy

Geryboy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080ti AMP Zotac
    at 60°C I'm around 1985 to 2 GHz at stock clocks.

19. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Trio
    I don't use RayTracing features cause they visually add so very very little compared to the huge FPS drop. And in most games DLSS looks like crap (maybe cause I'm playing at 3400x1440?). All I needed was a faster card.

I think an AIO would do wonders for OC since the chip throttles so easily (at least mine does). Yes the temp drop is significant according to what I've read. Too bad your card runs so hot, to me it sounds more like an issue with the card than anything else. Are you running it at stock clocks? At stock clocks mine runs at some 72 degrees (fans are very quiet) with my case fans at low. If I run my case fans at 75% that shaves off some 2 degrees.

I'd think you run AIO but did you say you run your fans at 100%? 60 is incredibly low for a 2080Ti.

20. Geryboy

Geryboy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080ti AMP Zotac
    ^yes air cooler on 100% fans.