The RTX 2080Ti thread (cont.)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Glidefan, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
  2. SiMallV719

SiMallV719 Member

GPU:
    RTX4090
    Now that the prices are dropping a bit and some RTX stuff is coming through for games thought i might have a go with the RTX2080ti, is the Palit gaming pro OC any good? or are they all about the same anyway?
    Or what cards do you reckon are best for under £1200?

3. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    @Geryboy I got an A-chip that acts like a non A-chip :) That little bastard...

Based on what I've read on forums the Palit cooler doesn't perform that well so you will have quite a hot and loud card in your hand. If you're OK with this then go for it since it sure is quite cheap.

4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    :(

5. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
    Well I’m rocking the Palit gaming oc pro for some months now, got a really good chip, Samsung memories, 2050 easy, stays non-OC mostly between 1950-1975. Also my card is not loud, and with a custom fan curve it stays mostly under 60 - 59 Celsius at full load. I do have a great airflow in my case though :D

So I would definitely recommend this Palit version. But, you are playing the lottery every time you buy a video card, especially with 2080 ti.

chispy likes this.

6. SiMallV719

SiMallV719 Member

GPU:
    RTX4090
    Ok thanks guys, I wear headphones for all my games so noise not a problem as long as I can keep temp under control?

7. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
    It does hold up pretty well never went over 60 for me, and although the fan is mostly between 90 and 100%. Like I said, also depends on the airflow of your case, and what case you have.

8. SiMallV719

SiMallV719 Member

GPU:
    RTX4090
    Is the MSI 2080ti gaming X trio worth the extra £200 for cooling and fps?

9. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Congrats on the lottery dude and crazy air temps :eek: Don't know how you manage that but GG.

That's how I felt, (plus I personally felt it looked sexier) but unfortunately I got really unlucky on the lottery. If I run the fans at 50% (68-70 degrees) then my OC stays around 1980-2010 (at 99% load) but is quite unstable (meaning it throttles). Stock is 1900 something.

While gaming I rarely hit 99% load meaning my OC clock is pretty stable at around 2040MHz.

10. barbacot

barbacot Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    Definitely - I have one - I can tell you that is more cool & silent than the ASUS version that I have at work - I also like the fact that MSI gives you a support bracket for the card since it is a real beast in size and weight - I think they are the only one that do that.

11. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    What stock clocks do you guys get at full load (99%)?

12. klepp0906

klepp0906 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 2080TI
    so does anyone feel like them adding ray tracing to last gen's cards devalues and makes 2080ti's even more of a ripoff so to speak value wise? Happened RIGHT after i sold my 1080ti and bought a 2080ti.

13. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4070 OC
    Did you see reviews of ray tracing on GTX cards ?

darrenj likes this.
  14. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I haven't read through the entire other thread. Have any of you tried out any of the hybrid coolers? I just ordered the EVGA hybrid cooler and from what I'm reading the temp drop is significant. Mine doesn't run hot but after a few hours of gaming the temps are around 77-78 degrees and the fan gets a bit annoying.

15. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I don't use RayTracing features cause they visually add so very very little compared to the huge FPS drop. And in most games DLSS looks like crap (maybe cause I'm playing at 3400x1440?). All I needed was a faster card.

I think an AIO would do wonders for OC since the chip throttles so easily (at least mine does). Yes the temp drop is significant according to what I've read. Too bad your card runs so hot, to me it sounds more like an issue with the card than anything else. Are you running it at stock clocks? At stock clocks mine runs at some 72 degrees (fans are very quiet) with my case fans at low. If I run my case fans at 75% that shaves off some 2 degrees.

I'd think you run AIO but did you say you run your fans at 100%? 60 is incredibly low for a 2080Ti.

16. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
    I can vouch for that as well. I never seen over 60 on my card, and I run a custom curve fan that basically is running 90-95% of the Fans speed.

Geryboy likes this.
  17. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Ok just got this hybrid cooler installed and I have to say that this was by far the most frustrating piece of hardware I've ever installed in any machine. My hands are cut up, the instruction manual was extremely vague, and the part numbers on the screws were misnumbered. Not only that but there were like 30 screws to get the stock FE cooler off. BUT, my temps dropped from high 70s to high 40s. By the end of the 3DMark stress test it had hit 50C. I think that's a damn good improvement.

serbicu and Geryboy like this.
  18. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    *start ordering an Hybrid evga cooler*
    Seriously we're starting to get some hot temperature since this week and as i've stated before, i'll get an hybrid cooler before summer.
    Those cards are running hot, even with proper air flow i usually max out around 73°C, and i'm a <70°C fanatic.

19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    No, most of us here are enthusiasts and technically literate enough to know how progress works in the 3D Graphics industry.

"Build it and they will come."

20. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Anybody here besides @jura11 who put their 2080TI under water? What temps (and boost clocks) are you getting guys?

21. BananaRepublik

BananaRepublik Member Guru

GPU:
    Galax RTX 2080ti
    I've just installed the AlphaCool Eiswolf on my Galax 2080ti. The default cooler for this card is rubbish. 3 small fans that make a huge noise at anything above 80%. Max temps were hitting 84 degrees at 100% fan and the clocks were dropping to between 1890 and 1920. I've been somewhat disappointed with the OC of the card, but the card itself hasn't given me any problems.

After installing the Eiswolf, I'm hitting 2070 on the core with temps in the low to mid 50's at 100% load. For normal 4K gaming, the temps are between 48 - 50 degrees and the core is at 2085. I made a small change to the voltage curve, since the card was hitting voltage limits, so now it runs at 1.068 at full load, with no voltage or power limits being hit.

I honestly thought my card was an OC dud, but I have a new-found respect for it since installing the new cooler. I've ordered some fittings to replace the tubing so that it'll match the white tubing I have on the Swiftech CPU cooler I'm using.

Overall, I'm really happy with the Eiswolf. My card is running much cooler, much quieter and much faster than before.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  22. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Thanks mate for sharing the temps and boost. I have slightly lower temps when OC'ed, but I never tweaked to curve properly I have to admit. Looks about the same as my performance, loop / temp / boost wise.
    I'm running EVGA XC (ref PCB) with the Heatkiller IV block, at highest load I hit the 50s mark, but yet it's running fairly at stock, boosting just to 2000Mhz so far, nothing changed besides upping temp / power limits via AB sliders.

23. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Isn't that crazy loud? I think my card is really silent up to 50% without headphones and up to 60% is silent with headphones but 100% is jet motor class.

In a way I'd like to do this as well since my card boosts like shiet. I'm also hitting voltage limit all the time and I'm sad that I got such bad luck in the silicon lottery. But then I checked the compatibility list and saw that my card isn't even compatible :(

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    fantaskarsef likes this.