1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The RTX 2080 Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by JoonyDoom, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Mott

Mott Master Guru

GPU:
    ROG STRIX 1080
    Yeah it looks like I'll probably be "sleeping" on it until nVidia or AMD actually offers something worth buying. I already use 8GB of VRAM on my 2560*1440 in a few games (this is not caching but actual use) and thinking of buying a new GPU right now with only 8GB seems like one of the stupidest things I could do if I want to factor in having the card for more then 6 months to a year which is why I am leaning to the 1080 Ti although those cards should be much cheaper than they are because everyone is trying to get them due to the 2080 being probably one of the most redundant cards in history.

I'll probably just think about upgrading and get urges from time to time until something truly next gen comes out that is worth the asking price.

2. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Just curious, how did you determine what caching is vs actual use? If there were any vram demanding games where 8gb was not enough, it certainly would not happen at 1440p in any current game that exists. I'm on 4k res and have no issues whatsoever even in the most demanding vram games at the moment.

Yet you came to the 8gb 2080 thread to ask when you're already convinced 8gb is not enough? OK. :rolleyes:

3. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX2080
    i run at 1440p and have tried many demanding games, none of which have used 8GB of VRAM (at least according to GPU tweak 2) except for one game, RE2 remake and that was using like 150% scaling.

4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Caching takes time and actual vram usage jumps almost immediately. I know you are not fan of adoredtv bashing on 2080 but you saw how rottr is using 10gb vram in 2sec after loading on RVII.

5. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Its a DX12 bug ONLY in ROTR. It does not affect DX11 performance where I am able to go through the same Geothermal Valley area smooth as butter with my vram never exceeding 7860mb. The higher the vram capacity of the card, the more the game/driver allocates to the GPU, its as simple as that. Adored probably knew better but chose to leave these inconvenient little details out of his review.

6. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    I scared the frack out of myself a couple days ago playing Metro Exodus I notice GPU getting to 80c,turns fans on to 100% on
    EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 XC ULTRA GAMING card and wow this thing is loud ,I almost crapped a brick.

I told myself years ago never to buy EVGA again but like a dummy I did.Always something not right about the EVGA cards,just my opinion.

What is surprising I can run Gigabyte GTX 1080TI SLI 100% and not even half as loud.

So now let me say I am not a shill for gigabyte,I do not hate EVGA and I not a shill for Metro Exodus or RTX ray tracing ,did I forget anything because everyone on the net is an expert and a negative fracker. :D

7. fOrTy_7

fOrTy_7 Master Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    Hi guys,
    I have this really bad blinking textures or shaders in Battlefiled V.
    Almost all screen turns orange in regular time intervals.
    I'm not sure if it is software (driver, game) or hardware issue.

Could anyone of you test it?
    If I will send back a good card they will charge me for diagnostics and replacement. :(

Youtube is still processing the video, 1440p should be available soon.
    But even at low resolution the issue is apparent.
    This blinking is mostly visible in last chapter of campaign 'The Last Tiger'.
    I see it from the beginning, it gets worse in later acts (like in the video).

System specs:
    Windows 10 1809
    Asus Strix RTX 2080 8GB OC
    Driver 418.91

Game setting:
    1440p
    All setting Ultra
    HBOA+
    RTX ON
    DLSS ON

8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    That's just some stuck explosion that lits the area in intervals. Your GPU is fine.

9. fOrTy_7

fOrTy_7 Master Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    Thanks. I have this 'effect' throughout whole Last Tiger campaign, map.

-Tj- likes this.
  10. slick3

slick3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG STRIX GTX 1070
    Currently running a GTX 1070; do you guys think upgrading to a RTX 2080 is worth it in the long run? My monitor is a 1440P 165hz one if that matters.

11. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Could be driver or game bug too, maybe report to nvidia driver thread.

at 1440p and no DSR, I would say at least 1-2years easily.

fOrTy_7 likes this.
  12. Geryboy

Geryboy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080ti AMP Zotac
    ^it would be around 50 - 70 percent faster?

13. Runifyoucanz

Runifyoucanz New Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080 FTW3
    I thought I'd ask here. I just built a new rig with an i5 9600k OC at 5.1mhz, 16gb of 3600 ram (2 dims down clocked to 3300), RTX 2080 FTW3 with a Asus Maximus 11 Formula board. For storage, 256gb ssd os drive, 1tb ssd storage and a 500gb m.2 drive. My monitor, Asus Rog 2560*1440 144hz but I'm not OC to 165hz.

My issue I'm running into is, it seems like this rig doesn't pull the FPS that others seem to pull with less power. Reading over this forum I've seen people pulling on average of 70fps @ 4k or even higher playing SOTR. I'm running all my games at 1440 and games like Anthem, SOTR and even RE2 Remake, I have to run the games at medium or even lower or even lower the res down to 1080 to get higher than 60fps. I think the highest I've seen my new rig hit was around 100fps with 1080 res set to medium settings on games.

With this said, am I wrong to think I should be getting more out of my rig? Am I missing something with my OCing?

14. metagamer

metagamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    Doesn't sound right. a 9600k with a 2080 should play pretty much any game at 1440p maxed well over 60fps. Most of the time you should be seeing 80-110 fps in games, there's obviously exceptions, like Metro with raytracing, but even there I pull 60-80fps with ultra settings and raytracing on, with some drops to 50s (still feels good thanks to Gsync).

From what I've tried of Anthem, it's a terribly optimised game, but I only played it for 10 minutes or so, haven't tried SOTR or RE2 though.

One thing you don't mention is your PSU. What PSU do you have?

15. Runifyoucanz

Runifyoucanz New Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080 FTW3
    1300w Seasonic 80+ Platinum If I remember right. I'll double check that when I get back to my home office. That's what I was thinking as well. After all my research on each part (with the help of other IT tech and Linix and Gamer Nexus) I was thinking I'd get at least the numbers you said. G-sync is great for sure.

16. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Install MSI afterburner and monitor the GPU's stats (esp core clocks) in a game. Seen a similar issue to yours of someone else and his core clock would not go above 1350mhz for some reason.

17. Runifyoucanz

Runifyoucanz New Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080 FTW3
    This is something I really didn't think about looking at. You have a good point. I've been watching loads and VRAM but not the mhz. Seeing how the card comes preOC I just threw it over the shoulder to believe it would sit at its 1850 to 1950mhz boosted speeds. I'll check this when I get back to the home office. Thank you!

18. MaxBlade

MaxBlade Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti/970/390/+ more
    Well.. I bought a Gigabyte 2080 about 2 weeks ago.. was running great. Was playing the new Metro and out of no where BLACK SCREEN. Temp never hit 80.. not 77. So I tried it again. And when I get into the game...just stops. So.. EVERY game I tried does this now.. testing in another computer.. does the same thing. So.. they are sending sent back.. to get replaced.. free.. but.. wow.

19. Geryboy

Geryboy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080ti AMP Zotac
    yeah there's something with the hardware and it getting faulty over a period of a month or so. Nvidia statement last year was they had overlooked some tests scenarios and sent out some bad chips.

Seems still to happen but less frequent.

20. Runifyoucanz

Runifyoucanz New Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080 FTW3
    Testing at my home office and sure enough the stock speeds are at 1350mhz. Pushed the card to 2100mhz for 15mins, never got over 60c in temp. Now to fix my CPU issue of underclocking from 5.1mhz when underload and maybe I can hit some FPS in games.