1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The RTX 2080 Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by JoonyDoom, Sep 18, 2018.

1. bigcid1

bigcid1 Master Guru

GPU:
    ROG-STRIX-RTX2080
    Just ordered a
    ROG-STRIX-RTX2080-O8G
    to replace my msi gtx 1070 gaming x 8g
    I hope I guessed right,lol

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    Maddness likes this.
  2. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 STRIX OC
    That's the exactly the same card i wanted to upgrade from my Asus strix 1070
    but the lack of funds right now and the insane price of 1100 euros i think i will wait out till AMD or Nvidia releases their next gen gpus.
    Plus 8gb of vram might be inadequate when next gen consoles are released.

bigcid1 likes this.
  3. bigcid1

bigcid1 Master Guru

GPU:
    ROG-STRIX-RTX2080
    I definitely agree about the ram ,but I couldn't justify in my head(or my wife) spending 1300.00 dollars on a 2080ti ,lol

4. metagamer

metagamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    A lot of people buying these top end gpus will have upgraded by the time the next gen consoles arrive anyway.

alanm likes this.

5. Terentino

Terentino Member

GPU:
    Hi guys

I am planing on buyin a RTX 2080 card.
    At the moment I am looking at the MSI Gaming X Trio and the Asus Strix OC.
    Coming from a MSI GTX 970 Gaming I am inclined to the MSI :).

Any thought which one is better and why?Also want the more silent one. Cost is no issue.

Thanks

6. endbase

endbase Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming

Maybe look at this for db noice reference

[​IMG]

7. bigcid1

bigcid1 Master Guru

GPU:
    ROG-STRIX-RTX2080
    I have a msi gtx1070 gaming x now
    And I'm getting the Asus strix 2080 o8g anyway

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  8. metagamer

metagamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    check out the Palit GameRock 2080.

9. Shataan

Shataan Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 RTX
    I just bought 2 EVGA 2080 FTW 3 Ultras on the weekend. 1 for myself, the other for my sons birthday. Sold my EVGA 1080ti FTW 3 for 700.00. So that helped offset the cost of the card. Metro Exodus in 5 days, so we`ll see what
    that looks like.

Barry J likes this.
  10. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    Don't admit to that purchase to openly. Lol.

Shataan likes this.

11. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Just picked up an Asus 2080 Dual OC. So far so good, load temps @ 75c with SOTR. Pretty thick card (2.7 slot), and heavy, but overall a bit smaller than my last (Zotac 1070 Amp). After the AMD R VII disappointing launch, there was nothing out there but the 2080 and this could be for a long time.

12. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    SOTR bench results @ 4k with these settings:

[​IMG]

13. bigcid1

bigcid1 Master Guru

GPU:
    ROG-STRIX-RTX2080
    does anyone know how long it takes for asus to issue the bundle code
    after you apply for them from the promotion ?

14. Mott

Mott Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Ti GamingX
    Thought I'd post this in here too so I wouldn't just get 1080 Ti bias remarks...

MSI Gaming X 1080 TI for 840 CAD everything included (tax, shipping, etc...) I want it but I have a GTX 1080 already and the 2080 is now 900 bucks (but plus tax) so what the heck do I do? Buy the 1080 Ti and sell my card, buy the 2080 sell m y card and the 2 games, skip it all and laugh at people paying the prices for 3 year cards with 3 year old performance and new cards with 3 year old performance for more than the 3 year old card?

Will Turing get optimized because it is a new uarch over time and become better than the 1080 ti? I already saw a bunch of dx12 and vulkcan benches where the 2080 thumped the 1080 ti with the newest drivers out.

I don't know what to do!

15. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Should get it quick. Didnt get mine from Asus but from Amazon who sent me the promo codes day after placing order. Since its an Nvidia promo, you should also contact them if you dont get the codes soon (since the promo expires in a week or two I believe), with details of your order.

bigcid1 likes this.

16. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Tough one. I could flip a coin and be happy with either I believe (dont care about RT since I game @ 4k). The 2080 of course will be more futureproof and have the advantage in DX12/Vulkan and newer titles. Since you say you dont know what to do, maybe you can sleep on it and keep an eye out for performance reviews of games you care about.

17. Mott

Mott Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Ti GamingX
    Yeah it looks like I'll probably be "sleeping" on it until nVidia or AMD actually offers something worth buying. I already use 8GB of VRAM on my 2560*1440 in a few games (this is not caching but actual use) and thinking of buying a new GPU right now with only 8GB seems like one of the stupidest things I could do if I want to factor in having the card for more then 6 months to a year which is why I am leaning to the 1080 Ti although those cards should be much cheaper than they are because everyone is trying to get them due to the 2080 being probably one of the most redundant cards in history.

I'll probably just think about upgrading and get urges from time to time until something truly next gen comes out that is worth the asking price.

18. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Just curious, how did you determine what caching is vs actual use? If there were any vram demanding games where 8gb was not enough, it certainly would not happen at 1440p in any current game that exists. I'm on 4k res and have no issues whatsoever even in the most demanding vram games at the moment.

Yet you came to the 8gb 2080 thread to ask when you're already convinced 8gb is not enough? OK. :rolleyes:

19. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX2080
    i run at 1440p and have tried many demanding games, none of which have used 8GB of VRAM (at least according to GPU tweak 2) except for one game, RE2 remake and that was using like 150% scaling.

20. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Caching takes time and actual vram usage jumps almost immediately. I know you are not fan of adoredtv bashing on 2080 but you saw how rottr is using 10gb vram in 2sec after loading on RVII.