The RTX 2080 Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by JoonyDoom, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Jeparisoe

Jeparisoe Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    At least you got a date. Amazon just said it would be sometime....

2. Jeparisoe

Jeparisoe Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    I am genuinely curious on how RT is going to pan out. I will say though, in Gamers - Nexus critical review of ray tracing, Steve said that a couple of the developers he had talked to informed him they only had the RTX code and hardware for 3 days before the nvidia launch event. I imagine only having 3 days to slap something together would mean it has almost no optimizations at all. I'm not saying that means that RT will be awesome, but I am saying that there may be a heck of a lot more performance there than some people are thinking.

Also, on a different note, Amazon informed me that my MSI 2080 X Trio will be delivered on Oct. 1st or the 2nd.

Maddness likes this.
  3. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2145-7550
    Maaan, it's been a long time since posting here. Anyway, I got my 21:9 (3440x1440) screen a while ago and hated the fact that I couldn't get anywhere near 100 FPS. Just pulled the trigger and bought the MSI GTX 2080 Gaming X Trio, it'll be arriving in about an hour :D Coming from a 1070 it's still a massive upgrade.

Maddness likes this.
  4. illdrag0n

illdrag0n Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 8GB
    Also went from a 1070 to 2080. Getting atleast double the frames on most games at this res. Only thing thats crippled it is MSAA on DE:Mankind Divided

5. Slam

Slam Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    I have a 35" monitor, and game at 2560x1080 144hz. My 1070 is still kickin' arse on pretty much every game at max settings.

But, being the tech head I am, I'm itching to get a 2080. The prices are ridiculous though, and I hate feeding that beast.

6. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2145-7550
    Aaaand it's working as it should. There are a few notes though... My case (Fractal Design Meshify C) is just way too small to accommodate such a massive card. I had to remove the lowest front fan just so I could get it in, not ideal because there won't be a fan blowing at the card, feeeding it fresh air. Second thing is the glass panel, just by placing it caused the temps to soar towards the low eighties (!).

TL;DR
    Small cases that barely fit the MSI Gaming X Trio are too small, get something else or watercool it.

-Tj- likes this.
  7. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX2080
    well got another delay email saying now the 11th, i don't get why almost all of them are in stock and yet the STRIX keeps getting delayed.

8. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2145-7550
    It might have to do with the way NVIDIA ships GPU's/provides stock. They see Europe as a single country (or area), and they try to maintain a balance between stores/retailers which is tricky. Even more since the weather in Asia is "bad" to say the least this time of year.

Got my MSI 2080 Gaming X Trio stuffed in my new Obsidian 500D and maaan, what a difference! From 80c under load in my air starved Meshify C to ~64c-66c in the 500D. Nice case to work with even though it has some weird design choices for fans and rads, which doesn't bother me, air cooling FTW. Started overclocking the card this eve and got around 2145MHz on the core, memory did 7550 but man, these cards need more power! Which isn't going to happen since NVIDIA in all their wisdom decided to implement the same ******* VBIOS flashing protection so no BIOS flashing and custom power limits.

9. JoonyDoom

JoonyDoom Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    My 2080 FE stated at 1800 actually boost itself to a max of 1920MHz. Temps hit 73c at highest point. Gaming at 1440p I get about hundred fps in every game. Fans are little bit noisier than I thought they would be. Man this card is heavy. Like a tank.

10. illdrag0n

illdrag0n Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 8GB
    Noticed that myself. Gigabyte Aorus says its tuned for 1785mhz boost, but gpu-z has it boosting up to 1920mhz.

11. euskai

euskai Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti STRIX
    Ok, I just noticed this thread was stickied, I had not seen it, so probably it's better to ask here.

Any first hand experience with this card in 3440x1440 for the most demanding games?? Are those hundreds of FPS minimum, maximum....

Also, for the pickiest, more OCD about noise owners (I'm one of them), are you happy with temps/ noise levels for your brand?

Since good cooled 1080 ti prices are going off the roof, at last in my country, the 2080 is an option again, as I'm in an uncomfortable position with my 1070 ti at 3440x1440: is not weak by any means, but it's not what it shoud be for games that need serious horsepower to run at 60FPS.

I know Asus 2080 Strix is a safe bet, but the thing is almost as expensive as some 2080 Ti, I've see contradictory reviews about noise and power draw of MSI 2080 gaming, same for Gigabyte gaming, so even if I decided to get a 2080 I'd still not be sure about what version, any ideas?

pharma likes this.
  12. DW75

DW75 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ROG GTX1080 Ti OC
    Buying an RTX 2080 does not really make much sense, unless you feel you must have the latest. It performs the exact same as an aftermarket GTX 1080 Ti, but costs more, and has 3 gigs less vram. You are better off just saving 150 bucks and buying a new 1080 Ti instead.

13. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX2080
    to answer your question the STRIX is not going to be in stock any time soon, it may ship out a set amount come the 11th but you wont see it in stock, it seems everyone wants this version as ALL the others are in stock or have been in stock at one point in time. If you plan on waiting get the AORUS. If you don't want to wait at all get the EVGA 08G-P4-2183-KR as it has the same boost clock as the stirx and is available now.

14. euskai

euskai Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti STRIX
    Today one of the online stores I frequent got availability of STRIX for a limited number of units to be delivered as soon as tomorrow/day after tomorrow. Still 1000€+ however, which is dangerously close to 2080ti territory.

The part number you mention is EVGA XC Ultra-gaming. I don't care that much for clocks, as +- 3% clock is not going to make much of a difference.

I'm more worried about cooling solution, as I don't want to buy blind and discover I have a card that I'm not happy with. And noise is the main factor to me when chooosing brands.

I agreed with you until reviews for RTX came out, I was going to get a 1080ti, I was just waiting to see ther reviews and official price for 20XX just in case. Then prices for 1080ti got crazy.

Now in my country new 1080 ti's go for roughly the same that 2080 (+/-5%). Except if you go with Amazon, then good 1080 ti's (the ones with good cooling solution, Aorus, STRIX, MSI gaming...) are actually more expensive, and some of them just stupid (1100€ for a 1080ti, what the hell)

Used ones are more expensive too, I had the chance to get a 1080ti for less that 470€, good luck getting one at 600€ now.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  15. DW75

DW75 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ROG GTX1080 Ti OC

16. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX2080
    I don't believe there is any temperature problem with dual fan cards especially if they are able to reach the same boost clock as a STRIX. The STRIX has oc mode and silent mode and if thats the deciding factor for you thats the best you're gonna find until the AORUS is released. I would totally buy an AORUS if they were released to compete when the STRIX will be released.
    Good news on the store availability, now maybe newegg or amazon will get them sooner.

17. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    When has a first generation implementation of any rendering method worked cleanly and without low frames from nVidia? Hair works started it all.

18. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX2080
    my card got charged and finally my STRIX has an Estimated to Ship on 10/4/2018

*edit now it says shipped and will be here tomorrow hurray.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
    SerotoNiN and pharma like this.
  19. Jeparisoe

Jeparisoe Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Oh I know, not really expecting anything from RTX this gen, but I will admit that I am hoping for some awesome DLSS performance.

20. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX2080
    so after a few days of playing assassin's creed unity and various other games I infrequently get this error "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered."
    its pretty random and can happen after hours of playing but it seems like either this card needs the power increase or nvidia drivers need more patching.

other than that it runs like a beast compared to my 980. Very happy with my purchase i just wish there was some RTX demo's i could check out running on my rig.

pharma likes this.