The RTX 2080 Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by JoonyDoom, Sep 18, 2018.

1. JoonyDoom

JoonyDoom Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    My preorder has shipped and will arrive Thursday Sept 20. Can not wait till tomorrow to read what I bought.

fr33k, Babel-17 and pharma like this.
  2. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Most importantly, have fun with it!

Maddness and JoonyDoom like this.
  3. JoonyDoom

JoonyDoom Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    I am coming from a 980 ti so my fps is going to double not counting the new tech.

Maddness, jbscotchman and Barry J like this.
  4. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Congratulations!

5. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Wow, very nice upgrade!

6. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 VENTUS OC
    lucky yours got shipped, did you get it yet? mine has been delayed a week and even then they can't promise any stock.
    disappointing!

7. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Don't forget to tell us what life is like with RTX ON

cryohellinc and AsiJu like this.
  8. MaxBlade

MaxBlade Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti/970/390/+ more
    My friend got it yesterday. Let me play with it today against my 1080ti. I have yet to find ANYTHING its faster in. Its as if I put in just another 1080ti. Everyone system is different but.. wow I expected so much more. Then what gets me is how BLOCKED the air flow is on the card. There is NOTHING at the end so the air can get out. Then on the sides its blocked by the lip kind of thing that shows GEFORCE in GREEN. Yet.. the temps seem to be about 2-5 higher is all. But how much better would it have been with the card more open..

For ME now ..its NO upgrade at all. And then 1200 for a 2080ti? That MIGHT be 40% faster in EVERYTHING or some games?

9. Jeparisoe

Jeparisoe Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Definitely cannot say I looked everywhere at 1080 Ti's, but I did check amazon and newegg and I could not find equivalent AIB cards with the same cooling system for much less than $50 if not the same price as the MSI 2080 I ordered.

10. erho

erho Member

GPU:
    Pascal
    At launch the RTX 2080 is ~5% faster at 1440p (relevant resolution to myself) benchmarked with old/current games. With future updates to drivers and games, this gap will most likely increase, since game-engines are already optimized for Pascal but not yet for Turing.

Yeah, it could be that the right price to pay for 20-series RT-cores is 0EUR. Also could be they are worth more. Time will tell.

For me the MSI RTX 2080 Duke is 784EUR, since I got it at a launch campaign price (glad I pre-ordered fast btw ;)). A new 1080Ti in Europe would be 700EUR. So the 2080 is 84EUR or 12% more expensive.

I already corrected you that there is a small performance gap favoring the 2080. This seems insignificantly small, but it's not since it cuts a huge portion off of the price gap between the two cards. 12% - 5% = 7%

So I'm paying 700x0,07=49EUR for new features like DLSS and RT and for the near certain increase in performance gap between Pascal and Turing that upcoming driver and game-engine optimization are likely to bring about? Gladly! :)

Noisiv likes this.

11. Jeparisoe

Jeparisoe Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Saw that card, but didn't like the style of it compared to the other MSI cards like the X Trio cooler I got. Also, the 2080 Duke was only $750 when I preordered, so at $750 that was still only a $70 increase for new tech. I bought the Trio X which was $799, but that is the one I wanted so I paid the extra. Also, I am upgrading from a 970 and I have waited 3 years for a new card, why would I buy a year old card now and save a couple bucks when I get new features.

That is my view anyways, if yours differs that is perfectly fine. I could not bring myself to buy an older card after waiting so long. Still happy with my choice.

erho and fr33k like this.
  12. JoonyDoom

JoonyDoom Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    So far I am loving it. I can see why some are upset as it is more or less a 1080 ti until raytracing and AI are working. My Time Spy graphic score under 980 ti was 5636 with RTX 2080 10822.

Maddness and pharma like this.
  13. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Question is if RT will be usable at all with the 2080 unless you drop resolution to something below 1080p :eek: Well considering the 2080Ti had to run SotTR at 1080p to even hit 60fps. I'm wondering how much magic they can do with updated drivers once Win10 fall update has been released.

14. Seaclean

Seaclean Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB Gaming
    Also keep in mind that many ray-traced features are going to have a quality-adjustment slider instead of an "all-or-nothing" on/off switch. I'm sure you'll be able to customize the feature to your liking. And we haven't even touched on the performance improvements to be had by simultaneously using DLSS.

15. Jeparisoe

Jeparisoe Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Well, my MSI RTX 2080 x Trio got delayed from Amazon. Anyone else get a delayed notification?

16. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 VENTUS OC
    yeah newegg emailed me this time saying it was delayed until the first. So much for a smooth release.

17. Jeparisoe

Jeparisoe Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    At least you got a date. Amazon just said it would be sometime....

18. Jeparisoe

Jeparisoe Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    I am genuinely curious on how RT is going to pan out. I will say though, in Gamers - Nexus critical review of ray tracing, Steve said that a couple of the developers he had talked to informed him they only had the RTX code and hardware for 3 days before the nvidia launch event. I imagine only having 3 days to slap something together would mean it has almost no optimizations at all. I'm not saying that means that RT will be awesome, but I am saying that there may be a heck of a lot more performance there than some people are thinking.

Also, on a different note, Amazon informed me that my MSI 2080 X Trio will be delivered on Oct. 1st or the 2nd.

Maddness likes this.
  19. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    Maaan, it's been a long time since posting here. Anyway, I got my 21:9 (3440x1440) screen a while ago and hated the fact that I couldn't get anywhere near 100 FPS. Just pulled the trigger and bought the MSI GTX 2080 Gaming X Trio, it'll be arriving in about an hour :D Coming from a 1070 it's still a massive upgrade.

Barry J and Maddness like this.
  20. illdrag0n

illdrag0n Guest

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RX6800 XT
    Also went from a 1070 to 2080. Getting atleast double the frames on most games at this res. Only thing thats crippled it is MSAA on DE:Mankind Divided