The right to repair bill

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by anticupidon, Mar 24, 2021.

1. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Hello gurus,
    First and foremost, this thread is about the right to repair bill and about owning/repairing your hardware.
    Now, for those who never given attention to that, this video can give so much from the perspective of Louis Rossman and Jeremy Soller from System76.

Louis Rossman started an internet movement trough his Youtube channel and actively participated in all hearings and meeting in various US states. He owns a repair shop and has in-depth knowledge of repairing and dealt with Apple hardware (bot not limited to that).
    Jeremey reveals so much about system integrator, OEM and laptop manufacturers, some information is bewildering. Did you know that almost none of the big laptop brands own or can provide schematics for their own products?

Now, we gurus, we always build and maintain our own computers. Laptops, here is where we can't do much.
    Share your opinion on this, give a like or support this movement.
    In my personal opinion, this fight is fought on disadvantageous grounds, mainly because Youtube algorithm and because of the online medium, as a whole. We know how distorted and how easily information can be misunderstood or wrongly used on the internet. But that's my opinion.

PS I am in no way affiliated to any of the aforementioned Youtube channels or businesses.

Keitosha and Raserian like this.
  2. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    They dont provide those schematics to any one authrized repair men last i check? atlest Dell didnt when I work form threw one of there authrized repair shops

If want there authrized repairs shops to be able to repair there stuff reliability one would think they would have to provide said schematics

3. Raserian

Raserian Member Guru

GPU:
    HD7750
    Most probably they don't have schematics because they outsource manufacturing to chinese factories (Foxconn, Qanta...etc), authorized repairmen and tech dealers are replacing complete parts, such as complete motherboard or lid assembly, if there are multiple RMA requests they just replace the whole unit and that's it.

I support this idea, it would be awesome to have schematics and individual components available so more technicians and user can repair faulty motherboards or larger computer parts without just blindly replacing everything.

AsiJu and anticupidon like this.
  4. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    I can't give back the "wasted" time, but please, watch the video, they explain what really is going on between brands and OEMs. And how the chinese/taiwanese houses have them by the b..ls

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I dont think they need actual schematics to how that parts where made/build they only deal with parts and replacing them in first place actually assembly schematics are needed actual schematics for how MB, etc etc are build what moset cap etc no, most manufacturers are gona release that. atlest as far as i am aware they dont.

6. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Right to Repair is needed. Unfortunately it does not fit with the current economic model. Consumerism requires that sales of new products needs to keep growing year-after-year. Repairing products out of warranty reduces sales of new products.

7. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Well, you have to notice how a small firm as System 76 has more control over replacement parts, BIOS and firmware.
    I worked as a repairing tech down to component level until I had enough and the whole thing become a race against time wasted on searching the right schematic/finding the issue yourself using your wits and tools.
    Paid forums and FTPs from where one can do schematics and tools are a faint memory now.

What I have still as vivid memories are the techs from big names not knowing inner workings of their own stuff, because lack of schematics and getting schooled by Louis or some mods from said forums.

Keitosha likes this.
  8. Raserian

Raserian Member Guru

GPU:
    HD7750
    These issues would be less of a problem if electronic parts would be made in US and Europe. Mega factories in china would not be able to dictate anything.

9. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    That is a little obvious. No matter where the products are made is where you have the power to create a cartel for manufacturing.

That's kinda what was being said in the interivew - that governments are not placing controls on companies to make things 'repairable', however you determine what that means.

10. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    I have one Apple product, a old apple gen 3 box that i used on a old Tv just for Netflix, prive tv and the likes, never updated it so it worked as it did out of the box 6 years ago, but last week for some reason the box updated itself and now it is dead with a message that the box no longer supports any of the apps and have a nice day sucker.........so just a reminder if i ever needed one never to buy anything apple, had to spend £25 on one of those Now TV sticks just to get Netflix and Prime back on the TV.

Airbud and Keitosha like this.

11. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3080 Strix H20
    That's nobody fault but your own. That thing sold for $69 10 years ago.
    Architecture is so old that apps do not run on it anymore..

Unrealistic to expect support from app developers and apple to keep it going.
    If you wanna keep using it jailbreak it and run some old apps on it.