"The Red Ring of Death" - Error Solution

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by eshban, Oct 3, 2007.

1. eshban

eshban Member Guru

GPU:
    Intel GMT 950
    Any one know why "The Red Ring of Death" occurs in Xbox 360???

Is it because due to the long usage or some other reason???

And is there any solution of recovering from "The Red Ring of Death"??

2. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    man you're just starting a new thread for everything arent you ? :p

hint: in the future it might be better to just collect all your questions in one thread.

if i remember right, the RROD happens because the passive cooler of the motherboard is held in place with this X shaped metal holder wich in time starts to give in a little bit making the cooler a bit loose on the motherboard and thus it wont cool that efficiently wich causes the 360 to get cooked.

there are no real solutions to it but newer models of the console have the cooler redesigned to counter this problem. i think pretty much every console on the market has the new better cooling solution.

3. Bani

Bani Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 8800 GTX
    Hardware malfunction I think. The GPU overheats due to what most say is under designed cooling. However my theory goes different. All chips / processors that are serial produced, are far from equal, both in performance, functionality and how much heat they generate. So all of them get tested and sorted to be within a certain limit of the original prototype. As greedy as Microsoft was, they lowered the accept and used hardware not really suited to meet the demands of the games run on the 360. So as the hardware inside the 360 get pushed too far it is overheating itself or its surroundings and generating a failure beyond any repair but replacement.

4. Bani

Bani Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 8800 GTX

Agreed seen the tread before. I should really stay out of this as it isn't really my table. I read somewhere that the reason the clips loosen from the MB on the 360 is in fact the heat itself. With enough heat the MB changes shape thus loosening the cooling and the heat issue escalate. So it is a matter of luck if you toast your overheated components or not. And any shape changing computer hardware is surly going to fail sooner than later.

5. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    Best thing is to get extra cooling for the 360 as that lowers the temps alot, too much powerfull hardware in a small space creates alot of heat thats the problem.

Good console but one of the worst designed hardware wise for along time.

6. StormVR6

StormVR6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti / GTX 650Ti PPU
    I sometimes wonder if anyone uses the search feature on forums...only sometimes mind, other times I'm thinking other things.

7. DeathDealer175

DeathDealer175 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX2080ti
    http://fix-your-xbox-360.blogspot.com/2007/10/xbox-360-error-codes-and-what-to-do.html

My heat issue

I had one of the first xbox360's when they first came out, after a year of use i had the ring of death come up. I checked out the error code and found it was overheating, as i didnt extend the warranty i was pretty stuffed so i googled and found this step by step guide to fixing the heat issue (you will have to search).

I took my 360 to work and disassembled the unit (buy the tool to seperate the casing) and when i seperated the large metal heatsink from the GPU/memory i found that the compound they used was solid and was attached only to the heatsink. The devices were clean and looked like heat dissipation was the issue, i used some Artic silver then reassembled the unit plugged it back in and to this day have had no problem.

8. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    Unfortunately the RRoD can be caused by a couple problems from what I have heard. They all stem from a heat issue, but aren't always just overheating. I've heard that sometimes a solder point or two can get severed when it's too hot. This is where the towel method usually helps. Essentially you wrap the towel around the system so that it gets hot enough to melt the solder back onto the broken points. May or may not work. That problem could be solved if they just used better solder though.

If it's just overheating then why the F are they using a passive heatsink with apparently the worst thermal paste ever, if you even want to call a solid lump of crap paste to begin with. I would say that neildood's method would work well if that was the issue. Also, buying a 360 cooler would help too. You could always just point a fan you already own on it while you are playing.

Remember that nothing can 100% prevent a RRoD from happening, it can only reduce it.