The Real Differences Between PS4 and Xbox One

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I might get one eventually, actually prefer the MS exclusives this time round.
    Kinect is also an incentive for parties.

Main gaming will still likely be on a PC though.

2. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Real difference between XBOX One, and PS4 :-

Ones a set-top box, the others a games console :p

3. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    1 - People who have more money than they know what to do with so they'll buy it just for the exclusives.

2 - Toolbags, which I will bet will be the overwhelming majority of Xbone owners. They'd rather shoot themselves in the foot just to avoid Sony, which I could understand why if it didn't mean going to Microshaft.

Edit: Ha, didn't even see the post after that when I made this one.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  4. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    ^Wow :eek:

(glad it wasn't me that said that)

5. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    What's with this ridiculousness? Glad it wasn't you who said the truth? Anyone who buys one aside for the exclusives is doing it out of being a sheer fanboy, who else would pay $100 more to get 50% weaker hardware? Outside of owning one for certain games there is no legitimate reason to buy it.

No one here is going to argue with that, including those who are buying it.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  6. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    If that wasn't true then we wouldn't have a PS4 as the PS3 launched at silly prices and while it was not weaker on paper for years it produced such inconsistent results it might of well of been.

At the end of the day the main reason to buy a console is games, hardware is irrelevant if the games you like are on a slower system.

Even Kinect is a decision making feature for alot of people who have real life friends who actually visit them.

Right now i don't think either system has anywhere near enough instant decision making exclusives for me to make a choice.
    MS definitely has more exclusives, but not convinced the quality is there until the games are out.

7. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Microsoft/Gates fanboy here...PS4 look's better guy's...Step it up MS!...

8. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I hope that is not aimed at me, not being a Sony fanboy does not instantly make me a MS fanboy.
    Not even sure where the Gates relevance comes from.

9. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Nope^...Love ya Redemption...:)...As far as (Gates relevance)...Windows 2000/XP/7 made him my hero....Oh yea...Games for windows live too....PC gaming is gonna get better:biggun:

10. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Good good, as for Gates, recently i would only commend him for his charity work, don't think he has any active input in what MS has done for a good while now.

11. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Really bro? Have you never played some kinect games with a group of friends? Do you play games with friends at all? Not everyone buying it is an idiot. Usage patterns and expectations outside of your own still exist and are valid.

12. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Doesn't he pop in to write code every now and again? But as for making company decisions, he hasn't done that since about 2000 has he? He stepped down a long time ago.

13. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Yep^...Wish I could Do That!....

14. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    With 78 Billion in the bank, he probably just thinks one weekend, "oh, ill head down to MS HQ for a relaxing coding session"

Seriously, the man is worth $78b, wonder if you could just go down to his house, say you're broke and ask the man if he could lend you ten or twenty grand out the goodness of his heart.

15. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Two future unlikely possibilities:
    Names of (for instance)
    - Xbox One Pro
    - Xbox One Plus

Based on the Puma+ core, plus a different discrete card.

The next gen consoles, particularly the Xbox, have he capability to have scalable performance. This scalable performance can be build into the games from day one just be disabling some extra graphics effects or by having lower settings for them based on the hardware code. When the 'higher level' console comes out, the old games can make use of the faster hardware based on a performance index.

That of course, would be the sensible and profitable way of doing things, especially to gain market share away from PS4, but I doubt it would happen.

16. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Based on what?

All of AMD's hardware is scalable, the same could be said for the PS4.

It's just a matter of instructing the drivers to use whatever quality level is relevant to the hardware in the box.

17. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

It's not based on anything, other than the Xbox hardware falling behind and maybe Microsoft wanting to one-up Sony.

In terms of scalable quality, I wasn't referring to just applying a different anti-aliasing method etc via the driver, I was talking about the actual game engine. You know, where you go into games now and select the different quality settings for different items. That isn't driver based! What I was referring to is (for instance), these being behind the scene settings, such that on current Xbox One they are set to medium, and this hypothetical Xbox One Pro/Plus having a setting of high (automatically, based on a performance index).

I was just saying it was possible, meaning it's not information gained from anywhere, it's just a hypothetical situation that could be done if Microsoft thought ahead.

Based on current speculation, the Puma+ core APU's look to be a fair bit ahead of Jaguar in both CPU performance and GPU as well. Also, remember we're talking Hawaii successor for the GPU. Even if it cost more (at the time) of the standard Xbox One by say, $100, it would be a winner as it would out compete the PS4 by a reasonable margin. This extra power wouldn't make sense without it being visible in games, and it wouldn't make sense to make two versions! Hence, the future-aware scalable graphics in games, like scalable graphics in PC games.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2013
  18. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    ^Sound like a fanboy pipe dream to me.