The Real Differences Between PS4 and Xbox One

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 16, 2013.

1. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    I bet my comp is still better than either. Probably just barely though :D.

Next summer... dat Haswell-e is MINE.

2. warezme

warezme Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga 970GTX Classified
    PC FTW. Hard to see how these already struggling consoles right out of the gate will compete with PC hardware in just a couple of years.

3. ASLayerAODsk

ASLayerAODsk Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 580 8G
    umm, dont most emulators require about 4x the horsepower of whatever they are emulating usually? or something like that anyway?

4. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Older consoles were based on x85 these new ones are x86 and my i7 is at least 4x as powerful as the CPU in them.

5. chanw4

chanw4 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    You are also emulating the hardware and the software and drivers. Then you have the difference in access level to the Kernel of the OSes. You still require more raw power to emulate. an example would be Running windows program via WINE. Hardware is only part of the equation.

6. FordLynx07

FordLynx07 Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 FE
    The Real Differences Between PS4 and Xbox One = "Price"

7. ASLayerAODsk

ASLayerAODsk Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 580 8G
    you could see it very similar to the presidential race in the US, the money 'appears' to go to two different locations, but in reality, it all ends up in the same place, they just dont publicize it, in fact they keep it down right hidden, so the sheeple dont see that little sleight of hand. :)

I guess it just depends how badly you want to buy into the marketing really....

8. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    This is very true but the XBone is using a W8 kernel. I could see a GPU issue where we would need more than double the power. And iirc the PS4 is based on Linux and Open CL so again it should not be as heavy to emulate as the PS2 and the Wii were (relative to there hardware).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  9. vazup

vazup Master Guru

GPU:
    r9 280X
    They were never meant to be compared to pc's

10. WindtalkerCS

WindtalkerCS Master Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX 280's
    That isn't strictly comparable anymore. The Xbox is a lot closer to a PC than it ever was. It uses PC hardware, a customized PC OS and the games use DirectX which abstracts from the hardware. There would be overhead but in theory it should be a lot easier to emulate than any other generation.

11. ASLayerAODsk

ASLayerAODsk Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 580 8G
    I guess you arent informed on who makes transistors? capacitors?
    the PS4/X1 are just assemblers and programmers...the rest is just...hardware.
    so who had to pay who first?

12. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    It common knowledge that AMD designed the architecture that both consoles use (jaguar cores and GCN ****** processors) but it is all under the direction of Sony or Microsoft. AMD did not set the specs or construct the white papers for them it's the other way around. It does not matter who assembles the product it is who designs the product to be produced.

Again put you tinfoil hat on.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  13. ASLayerAODsk

ASLayerAODsk Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 580 8G
    no. :)

14. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I've asked this before and yes I've searched, but does anyone who how much the PS4 deal was worth to AMD.

The Xbox deal is supposed to be $3 billion, I can't be the only one who thinks what they got from AMD is underwhelming or is the Sony deal worth more?

15. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    Every one of you forgets something :
    From AMD is the arhitecture in the 2 consoles so what will NVIDIA do wait and let AMD get all the glory !! : NO IF IN THE NEXT HALF YEAR (after console launch) THEY WILL SEE A LOWER THEN EXPECTED PROFIT they will push the graphic cards to the limit and they will give the PC a big EDGE over console.
    SAME FOR INTEL (CPU MARKET)!!!!

AND 2 :
    We speak of FULL HD but the new trend is going for Ultra high definition, and the new panels will make the games look even more ugly on new UHD panels.

I remember the time PS3 or PS2 (XBOX or 360) came out they were 1-2 year above PC (at least GPU on specs) now not any more !! Seems to me a race for money (because the consoles are a brand). Hope i am wrong.

16. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    A few of you need to calm down a little bit! :D

17. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    Btw I'd still bet anything Microsoft will force developers to release castrated versions of games for the PS4 so they're not far superior to the Xbone versions.

18. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Microsoft won't have to force them, most developers will be too worried about pissing off Xbox gamers so will make them as similar as possible.

19. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    In other words as the performace of your PC is defined by its slowest part, so the "next gen" games will be looking as good as they look on the slowest comersial hardware (Xbone). Stack all the Titans you want - you will still get the same crap as the console version plus a few graphics options if you are lucky.

20. Vinnie

Vinnie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD R9 290X
    Who is actually going to buy the Xbox one?