The quietest 120MM fan?

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Danny_G13, Feb 2, 2020.

1. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA FTW 2080Ti OC
    Mine absolutely had to be black. Why you wanting a white one?

Yes, in pure performance the Kraken is obliteratingly good - you get what you pay for. But for convenience, size and the software it's less than impressive. I was lucky the R6 fit it.

The build quality is the best I've seen in a fan - heavy, durable, and the design is excellent as well. But it's the RPM range which is awesome - every speed for every need - and the amount of air it pushes is exceptional for the low noise return.

And best yet? They're not even that expensive! I paid £14.50 I think it was. I'd have willingly paid £30+ for this kind of gear.

2. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA FTW 2080Ti OC
    Sorry about the CTS attack, will that back off any time soon?

3. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti 1080 FE

Hi there

Sorry to hear that about your CTS attack, speedy recovery there

Fractal Design Define cases I quite like and I used them on several occasions for water cooling builds and for two air cool builds

In all cases I replaced stock Fractal fans for Phanteks PH-F140MP or Thermalright TY-143SQ or TY-147ASQ because stock Fractal Design Define fans they're not the best there

I would recommend replacing the fans for something like Phanteks PH-F140MP etc all depends on budget and noise etc

On most cases or most builds I keep fans under 1000RPM if its possible, on my current build running fans at 650-750RPM as max and that's more than enough to keep everything cool, in my previous build in Enthoo Primo I have used NH-D15 with two GPU setup and no issues, there I run fans as max at 800RPM

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

4. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080Ti AMP

if only these things didnt cost an arm and a leg and maybe a kidney too....

fantaskarsef likes this.

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Alright, if only they'd offer a DIY kit with case etc. so you can build your own system etc. but essentially it's a huge heat sink connected to heat pipes they put onto the CPU and GPU. No magic, just a huge heatsink.

CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    frack if i know when it will sub side i have not had attack like this in 5+ years if keep up i probably gona give this a try know bout it for 15+ years but last i really look at the cts just went away. but as of now i really can't move or twist my right wrist without pain that would make me drop things. one should be able to make upside down L if they let the wrist drop down naturally, my left wrist can do that, my right wrist up to about 48 hours ago didnt even come close to making upside down L when it droped down naturely was more like was more like upside down J. as of today it pretty close to being able to do the upside L but wrist still hurts if moved in wrong way. sad part is i got this cts in both hands it just my right is much worse cause using mouse so much. thanks for the thoughts though

like i said I have 2 of those 120/140mm noctua fan 1 is exhaust out the back 1 is on the D14 heatsink which has another 2nd noctua fan but not the 120/140mm (circle) fan I technical have 3rd one of those fans but that one was failing to start spiing if I use the LLNA adaptor but its not being used and attach to my side panel. I still using the 2 fractal design fans it came with to pull in air from the front you right there not that great at full speed the almost twice as loud os the noctua fans. I thought about those corsair magnetic fans. but been thinking of replacing them now with one these fan1 fan2

7. haste

haste Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 @ 2.1GHz
    I've been using NoiseBlockers for years without single issue. Even after like 7 to 8 years of constant running, there are still as quiet as they were day1. So for me, this is the choice n1 for all my fans in my water cooled PC. I have 6 of them on radiators, one in customized EVGA PSU and one on case exhaust.

https://www.blacknoise.com/site/en/...it-fans/nb-multiframe-series/120x120x25mm.php

(disclaimer: my fans are all 7+ years old, they might have changed something)

8. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080Ti AMP
    Still seems to work and is super quiet.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  9. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Yeah, hence why I'd appreciate a kit to buy it, only with our own hardware we use :D

CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    well my ocd has been triggered :mad:

I open up my case and there is indeed pulsating hum happen, seeing the pulsating hum went way for most part if i place box on the top modular vent covers back and middle one , i decide to take the modular vent plates off the top , the pulsating hum pretty much went way, there is still hum there but i have put my ear right next to system to hear it, I put the top modular vent covers back on and the pulsating hum got amplifier if i move back and middle plate around I can minimize the hum, if put the box back on it gets quieter. right now there is no box on that vent covers I really cant hear pulsating hum sitting at my pc. which i hoping I fixed it enough , before I messed around with it I could hear the pulsating hum from my bed 10 feet away.

I am assuming the vent covers are not snug enough in place or maybe plastic click under them that snap it to the case grill lose in some way

*edit*
    nope had to put the box back on top the back and middle vent cover need some sort weight on those 2 to stop the hum. should never opend my case up what little dust i found might of been muffling the hum in some wayo_O

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020 at 9:04 PM

11. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA FTW 2080Ti OC
    I do get a tiny little hum, but during the day it's literally inaudible. Only at the dead of night can I hear something, and only if leaning to the left where the PC is.

For OCD yeah, this gripe would be a nightmare.

12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    OCD can make the littles of things become huge issue

I am convinced the top vent cover are either lose or some how causing the hum to get worse when they sit on top of fan vents. short of fitting rubber grommets on outer edges of all vent covers not sure how to stop it, but my samsung 830 SSD box that has everything but the SSD still in the box does the job of shutting the hum up.

13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    seeing you have this Magnetic fan for while which versions you have and do think there really worth it over ball bearing??

I track donw one pulsating hums I was hearing and my OCD will never be same cause I cant fix it it coming the central air vents and unit out side my window.