The practical wisdom of previous generations

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by mbk1969, Jun 18, 2018.

1. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    [​IMG]

Scary Stuff^.....:D

mbk1969 likes this.
  2. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    The last couple nights I've been thinking about many different decisions I could have made as a young man. It's too late to change those, perhaps in the afterlife I'll get a second chance.

StewieTech and airbud7 like this.
  3. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    yea^...funny how little things can happen and it changes your whole life...

a big... What If?

jbscotchman likes this.
  4. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Just hit F5, reload the last save and go on from there. Easy...

StewieTech, jbscotchman and airbud7 like this.

5. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    I use it all the time, it's simply more practical.

But I am still grateful for learning how to read a map. As a student during the summer I worked with a lot of truck drivers and some of them swore by maps so I was forced to learn it and tell them to go right/left/straight/...

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
    sykozis and Serotonin like this.
  6. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Hey, anyone using GPS and still remembering their route, my hat is off to you. I can't chew gum and walk. So the gps stays away so I can learn a route. If I'm really up a creek, I go to the app store begrudgingly and download waze really quick, get the last 5 or 10 minutes of directions and then uninstall it upon destination. Read too many crazy things about gps apps to leave them installed. Yeah, I'm one of those.

386SX and airbud7 like this.
  7. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    You ever turn around halfway to work to see if you left the stove on?

Yeah, I'm one of those....Glad coffee pots turn off after 2 hours! ....or do they?...damn got to turn around again!....:D

Serotonin and fantaskarsef like this.
  8. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    My first one didn't... came back home to my apartment filled by the smell of burnt coffee... almost made me puke... :D

sykozis, Serotonin and airbud7 like this.
  9. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I have this problem with "did I close the garage door" and have drove back home more times than I care to admit. It's NEVER ONCE actually been open mind you. But that does not conflict with the voice in my head telling me I need to double check lol.

airbud7 likes this.
  10. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    @airbud7 - I think that's the first thing you've posted in a while that I actually agree with.

My son is almost 11. He was, I believe 5, when my ex-in-laws gave him a Kindle Fire HD for Christmas. He barely touched it while he was at home, but when he was with them, he was glued to it. We went to a program at the middle school he's going to be attending next year. He was one of only a handful of kids in the school that night that doesn't have a smartphone. Turns out, the school has a wifi network setup for the kids to connect their phones/tablets to so they don't have to use their data plan while at school. I about lost it. When I was in school, simply having a cellphone or pager on school property was grounds for suspension. Now the kids are allowed to text and surf the web on their smartphones/tablets in class while the teacher is attempting t teach and the teachers can't do anything about it as long as the kids aren't disrupting the class. On the upside, if I want to know anything, my son can find it much faster than I can....lol Once he gets interested in something, he'll do whatever it takes to learn as much about it as he possibly can. He's much happier if he can find the information in a physical book without touching his Kindle Fire though.

No if I can just keep him off the XBox One that he wants me to buy a 50" TV for.....

I'm the guy that locks the front door as soon as he opens it, checks to make sure it's locked after closing it, turns around half way to the car to double check the front door to make sure it's locked, recheck again after starting the damn car, sometimes pull back into the driveway and check it again, sometimes turn around when I'm half way out of the neighborhood to go back and re-check it, then worry through my entire day at work that I didn't lock the front door.....

I'm getting better though. I used to stop by the house during lunch to make sure it was locked.... My solution to THAT habit was to find a job further away from home. I work far enough away that I can't come home, check the front door and make it back to work in 60 minutes unless I skip eating. BUT, let's face it. I'm fat and fat people like to eat....

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    386SX, airbud7 and mbk1969 like this.
  12. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Your cat, or dog, probably has worms. That's why they do that. Now there's probably worm eggs in your carpet...yech...

Serotonin likes this.
  13. adabiviak

adabiviak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980Ti
    I worked at a ski resort in the 90s, out at a restaurant up on the slopes. On busy weekends, we'd set up an extra cash register outside next to the BBQs. When it got cold, the register had a habit of freezing (figuratively and literally), so I wrote a cash register program in my old TI-81 programmable calculator and kept it in my back pocket when it was my shift on the register. When the register inevitably froze, I was good to go. I much preferred working the outside register, so this helped ensure that I got picked for this duty.

It has been a blessing to have grown up without the modern convenience of the Internet and GPS, both because one knows how to get around without them, and one also has a serious appreciation for how insanely convenient and fun they can be (especially including cell phones and portable/digital music).

airbud7 and mbk1969 like this.
  14. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    He has an itchy butt. He goes to the vet regularly. Had to get him on a diet, he was pre-diabetic. Fatso. Lol. We took him off dry food, that was Vet's first suggestion. Does it much less often now. I figured he'd of kept it going, but the wet food only diet has helped. Might help the pooch if you're giving him dry food? That stuff is (at least for cats) LOADED with calories. More reason I had to get him off it. A scoop of dry food was like 300 calories vs. an entire big can of 9 lives which is 160 calories. He is not enjoying this diet. hahah. Poor guy. Seems like his butt is doing better on wet food though.

15. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Hindsight, i just hate it, but these days being somewhat older i know there is really no point allowing hindsight to take root, what is done is done and can't be undone, here endeth the lesson. :)

16. MikeG

MikeG Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan RTX
    How about relaxing with a non wired headset with a built in or attached music player? It's still a computer but you can get ones that don't have a full internet connection. This is for when you shut off the pc, tablets and smart phones and stay off the net for an hour or two.

And some of the mp3/mp4 players have an FM radio so there's a very old school thing that can keep you occupied. At least I still enjoy radio music and news stations.

17. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    You, too? :D
    Since a few years ago I started watching more and more science shows, documentaries and stuff, together with (mostly political) cabaret and stand-up comedy.

F**K! Couldn't you have reminded me to save on level 18? If I die now I have to restart from the bloody beginning because somehow my quicksave button doesn't work anymore ... every time I press the button my wife shows up. Somehow it isn't calibrated right ... anyone knows how to calibrate a "press-that-to-save-your-life-early"-button 1.02? It says "Intel", but you know, Intel always EOLs products shortly after launch ... and I got this button years, if not decades ago.

*fumbling open*

It seems there is a small dwarf sitting in there ... I think I got scammed!

*push* *squeeze*

IT WON'T FIT BACK TOGETHER! COULD SOMEONE HELP ME PLEASE?! THE DWARF IS PUSHING FROM THE OTHER SIDE AND WANTS TO FLEE! QUICK!

*knack* *noises of current flows where it should NOT*

F**K! I think I broke my save button ...

*looks under the button*

THAT IS SOO TYPICAL! "MADE UP IN GERMONEY" IT SAYS! :D

mbk1969 likes this.
  18. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    @386SX
    So Germoney makes buttons with dwarfs inside... At least it can be labeled "hand made".

386SX likes this.
  19. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I like relying on GPS for my travels, simply because it's more convenient. Before this, I used to print out a map from Google Maps (never really used paper maps). GPS apps can also provide info on estimated arrival time (which is scarily accurate) as well as delays and alternate routes, which is helpful. I've also used GPS when walking home - Google's taken me on some interesting trips this way.

If I didn't have GPS then I would try to figure it out by street names. I've driven on certain roads long enough to know their features and can navigate myself that way, although I may have to make a couple of attempts.

20. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Great theme in that video.
    Yet it makes me wonder, how much the people making that video (attention engineers...) earned by us clicking it, instead of watching out the window and wondering why those little birds always fly around the same bush (hint: they have their nest in there).

airbud7 likes this.