The PC Games Optimization Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by snight01, Mar 22, 2016.

1. snight01

snight01 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    edit**

no difference.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  2. emusa

emusa Active Member

GPU:
    Asus 780 (1140/6600 OC)
    Awesome advice. Especially the Bioshock Infinite tweaks. I also added some ini tweaks to the game (especially concerning cache buildup) which help reduce the occasional stutter even more :)
    Also, set shadowquality to high instead of Ultra, because it (still..) has a LOD bug.

Keep it up, it's really appreciated!

3. snight01

snight01 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    the optimization i did helped with the ultra stuff especially the alternate option. you shouldnt get any weird frame stutters.

No probs, i try my best.

EDIT**

On another note, i cant help but mention this.

I've played some really bad optimized games but..

Gears of war ultimate edition is the worst optimized game i've played to date. Its much more worse than a prepatched watchdogs, far cry 4 and bioshock infinite. I've played the xbox one version, which i thought was beyond horrible but somehow the pc version just takes the spotlight.

I wouldn't dare recommend this poison of an unoptimized game even to my greatest enemy.. if i had one. It has truly persuaded me to never purchase another title from the windows store ever again. Completely horrible port.

4. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    While you got some points the majority of MalwareTips will disagree.

Windows Firewall does a good job upon inbound traffic without giving the user any headache, if you add a free third party control on top of it it will protect you as well as any other alternative.

Windows Defender does not get many false positives either, on my system it found none while other security software does.
    On top of that you can do a little reg edit to add further protection to it.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender\MpEngine
    "MpEnablePus"=dword:00000001

UAC should always be on, just because you know what you run you never know what it might trigger in the background, heck, some even got it set to it's highest setting.

Although the best protection is having everything unknown automatically thrown into a fully virtual sandbox, but that will certainly add a lot of headache to the average user.

You should always keep one thing in mind when suggesting changes to security: the average user.

EDIT: What kind of monitor are you using?
    I recently set frames to render ahead to 1 for WOT on a system with a 60Hz to remove stuttering when the mouse was used to look around and got it fixed that way, this issue isn't present with my setup.
    So tweaks can vary between systems.

5. snight01

snight01 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    These tweaks were tried on a monitor using dvi connection and as well Sony Bravia 800b hdmi.

Each game is Tested extensively since I want to play it at its most polished state. Most current games don't need for external software or Nvidia cp fixes. Only a few new games need doing tweaks like these since game companies and Nvidia is optimizing the games abit more. Mostly the fairly old games are badly misconfigured.

Either way, if any game issues can be elevated by doing some tweaks I'll update the list and keep you peeps posted.

6. billypit

billypit Member

GPU:
    MSI
    Prompt what NVCP settings ignored in case of game in the window mode wddm 2.0?
    V-sync, af, fxaa or still something? I am a little confused after several tests with 364.72.

7. Some PCIE Bios Tweaks

Here are some tweaks for PCIE settings in the BIOS that I use. Note the naming convention is based on AMI Bios so, check your BIOS for similar naming conventions.

1. No Snoop - Enabled (default: Auto)
    Reduces latency by not having the GPU have to wait on a snoop cycle (processor cache coherency)

2. Relaxed Ordering - Enabled (default: Auto)
    Allows read requests to the GPU to be dynamically be put in front of GPU memory write requests ( writes are more performance expensive), which reduces latency and stalling of game engine.

3. Extended Tag - Enabled (default: Auto (disabled))
    Extended tags allow up to 256 concurrent requests (read or write) not enabled by default. Default tag on allows 32 concurrent requests. Reduces latency.

8. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Have you done any kind of testing for these? As far as I understand they are enterprise features and shouldn't matter at all unless you have a ton of resource hungry PCIe devices. They might even cause hangs with some PCIe devices.

9. I have not done any extensive testing yet, but I have not had any negative effects of enabling them so far. I got my information from a 2003 set of slides posted on Nvidia site stating, with support from applications, the Relaxed Ordering and No Snoop can offer a upto 20% increase in performance (theoretically), source: Relaxed Ordering and No Snoop Source . Here is the source for information I found regarding extending tag: Extended Tag Source

10. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Thanks for the extra sources, I'll take a look. My motherboard actually supports all of these.

11. snight01

snight01 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    Im almost done with my new list.

I'm also going to list games that theres no hope for optimization, its virtually impossible to get it working flawlessly without stutters/hitches/pauses/frame hitching.

So far its bioshock 1 and gears of war ultimate edition. Its on my stay far away list.

12. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    Heads up for those disabling win10 firewall service.

win update won't work until you re enable it. I wonder how many people blamed the OS on that.

13. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    TUF OC RTX 3080
    I use Windows Firewall Control from binisoft works like an charm with windows build in firewall

14. I did a test with Relaxing Ordering, Extended Tag, and No Snoop first enabled. Then, I rebooted and did a test with them disabled. Hardware polling is set to it lowest in AB, which is 100 ms. Ignore the min and max frame-times as they are erroneous. The tests are not perfect as I ran into issues with the game having a texture stretch bug sometimes when Alt-Tabbing.

You can open the .hml files by having MSI Afterburner installed, which has a log viewer. Look at the point in the graph where GPU usage goes to 96%, which is the start of the benchmark for Just Cause 2 Dark Tower benchmark (GPU water sim, bokeh filter are on along with 2x MSAA 1920x1200).

Relaxing Ordering, Extended Tag, and No Snoop Disabled:
    http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=06583132449260017452

Relaxing Ordering, Extended Tag, and No Snoop Enabled:
    http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=17384825963963597031

15. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I don't have Afterburner and I don't intent to, so I trust what you're telling me. What did you observe?

16. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 3060TI
    And my motherboard BIOS does not provide those settings. Alas.

17. Well, there is not much variance between the two logs, which could be considered margin of error. Perhaps there has to be a lot of read and writes like in a open setting in an open world rather than in a canned benchmark. I can not say with certainty that Relax Ordering, Extended Tag, No Snoop improved frametimes, but having them enabled did not negatively effect frame-times either. Maybe this requires something like GPUView from MS in order to get more accuracy.

In theory, it should help (slides posted above) by allowing a read request in the middle of a write request so, the two request complete around the same time as the write request. Then again, like you said, it could be only beneficial in PCIe heavy scenarios where the PCIe bus is being saturated, which no single video card has done. In this case, there was no real benefit.

Usually can be found in the PCI/PCI Express settings. Maybe it is named something different (AMI BIOS naming conventions).

18. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 3060TI
    BIOS of my motherboard has only "PCI-E spread spectrum ON/OFF" setting and switch between v2 and v3 speed. And billions of DRAM settings.

19. CrazyBaldhead

CrazyBaldhead Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Different setting altogether. That's used for PCI-e bus overclocking.

20. Sajittarius

Sajittarius Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 Turbo 24G
    The firewall is there for a reason. Yes the large majority of home users can turn it off with no problems (the NAT on their router will block most crap by its very nature). But there could be people here using laptops, who see they can get an extra 1-2fps by disabling their firewall. Then they take their laptop to a public network somewhere and they get hacked. Telling people its completely safe to disable their firewall in all circumstances is just as bad as telling them to never ever disable it. In fact, its worse, because you are less likely to have your security breached by leaving it on.

Disabling UAC completely (through registry) is different than setting it to "never notify". It breaks way too much ****, especially in win10. They finally moved alot of settings out of control panel and into the new Settings app. If a person is aware that it makes their computer less secure, they should be fine with setting UAC to not notify.

The problem with some of these tweaks is they could affect security but there is zero warning. Also, it seems a good half of them are: 'This might touch a file on my hard drive while I'm playing a game, so I'm turning it off'. (System Restore, Disk defrag, hibernate, Defender, Search Indexing, Xbox game DVR, Pagefile). They are all there for a reason, as long as a person knows what they are doing when they turn it off, its fine i guess. Except pagefile, don't ever turn that off (google it, there's a million places that explain why).