The Outer Worlds

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by CalculuS, Dec 7, 2018.

1. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    For those that do not know who this is, Feargus Urquhart is one of the founders of and CEO of Obsidian.

His twitter account : https://twitter.com/Feargus

*edit*

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    cerebus23 likes this.
  2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I had assumed all their games would've been winstore exclusive so this is just reverting to that situation. A shame, for them, as far as I'm concerned :p

3. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I get people are pissed.

But understand developers are fed up with the cut steam takes.

This has been an issue long before the Epic Store.

They don't do this to anger us, it's a cry for help.

4. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    You know, can they at least announce the exclusivity from day 1? This is the third time the game was advertised elsewhere, only to pivot to Epic exclusivity later.

Let this industry crash a second time for all I care at this point. I guess it's back to Pirate Bay after all this time.

cerebus23 and lucidus like this.

5. emperorsfist

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    No, it's not, and I suppose Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, Apple and Android should just cut their cuts for their stores as well, huh?

Kolt and lucidus like this.
  6. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Interesting vote percentage for this video..... it's almost as if people are not happy.

INSTG8R likes this.
  7. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    So rage inducing...literally poaching games at this point...

8. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Games are too lazy to click through a few windows to buy from another platform.

I don't hear people complain about buying Food and Clothes from various stores their entire life.

All these haters are pathetic.

9. emperorsfist

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    And all you do is post inane statements. Good job.

10. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I don't think you got the message here dude.

Kolt and INSTG8R like this.

11. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    The issue is more than simply click some different buttons on your computer, but I guess at this point it's not something you care about, which is also fine.

12. emperorsfist

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    Please, don't validate his inane responses like this with more attention.

Kolt, lucidus and INSTG8R like this.
  13. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Another exclusive epic store,Another epic failure store bribed publishers&devs.
    Forget about good old game devs,they dont exist for this 21st century anymore,they are old and without visions,unfortunatelly.

Kolt and lucidus like this.
  14. emperorsfist

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    Sad, really. If any store needs some love in the form of new titles, it's Good old Games. But nope, start using Fortnite launcher.

I hope it burns

Turanis likes this.
  15. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I think they'll just push us until we fall, that Fortnite money will buy them many exclusives for months/years to come. I still wonder why devs/publishers take the bait though, how can they miss the negative PR? Or aren't we loud enough?

16. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    There are some games that I would like to play, but I won't because they are on Epic launchers only. Had they been on Steam, I would've of gotten them. However there are other games I felt I must play, like Metro Exodus; it didn't make sense for me to skip what looked like (and is) a great game simply because they signed 12 month exclusivity with Epic. That would've been a lost for me irregardless of whatever else is happening.

Yes Epic launcher is crappy compared to steam, yes its lacking so many features, yes all my friends are on steam, yes I don't approve the move and wish they never did such a thing etc etc; but at the end of the day, their system is working for both the developers and Epic - so that won't change, and looks like Steam doesn't care enough to retaliate with a move on their own.

How does the 'lower players on Epic with a greater cut for developers' compare to 'higher players on Steam with lower cut'? Clearly not significant enough to disallow Epic exclusivity. The whole 'I will not buy their games and watch them crumble' isn't working; whining on the internet isn't going to do much either (I was there and did that) and all we got was three more exclusives.

Great multiplayer game on Epic only I will pass, I passed on Fortnite despite it being a fun game. I feel Steam offers more on the multiplayer front than Epic could ever deliver. Great single player on Epic only however, like Metro; sure take my money. I'm just doing whats best for me.

17. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    You know what? I think I only like two stores. The GOG store and the CPY store. They are the only major stores that actually respect consumer rights.

lucidus likes this.
  18. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    GOG is a nice DRM-free alternative to Steam, but your "CPY store" is run by criminals... :(

19. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Because they don't have to care about us when they're being paid upfront. We shouldn't care about them either.

Why do you hate competition? What about codex? :p

Netherwind likes this.
  20. Pale Horseman

Pale Horseman Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus Master 4090
    (Credit to Berserker66666 on Reddit)

The whole debate about 20 to 30 percent cut from Steam vs 12 percent cut from Epic is a farce. Its a stunt pulled by Epic. Its not about the percentage cut. Its about Epic giving these greedy publishers a bag of cash to sign exclusivity deals on their platform, either on day one or a certain time afterwards and Epic lining their own pockets in the process. All the while trying to strong-arm customers to submit to this forced exclusivity and other anti-consumer practices while providing virtually nothing

If it was only about the cut then, these publishers would've moved to other platforms that has lower cut than Epic, who've been into digital distribution platform a lot longer than Epic. Platforms like Discord, which reduced their cut down to 10 percent after Epic store's announcement. Humble Widget through Humble Bundle, which asks for 5 percent of the cut. Itch.io, which asks for basically whatever percent of the cut you want to give them, which is lower than all the others combined. And yet a lot of developers and publishers choose Steam over any of them Why ? Because none of the other platform provides the massive visibility / discoverability of games that Steam provides and the subsequent big sales potential. Not to mentions vastly inferior features and services towards customers compared to Steam. Its because Steam provides THE most features and services to both developers and customers more than any other platforms in the gaming industry, PC or consoles.

https://blog.discordapp.com/why-not-90-10-3761ebef4eab

https://www.humblebundle.com/developer/widget

For the record, other major platforms like GOG, Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, Amazon, Google, Apple and a lot of others also take the industry standard 30 percent of the cut while providing significantly less features and services to both customers and developers in return. I wanna emphasize on Sony and Microsoft (Playstation and Xbox) who are the biggest gaming platforms next to PC, Who've been taking that 30 percent cut from developers and publishers for decades now while doing business with them. They don't provide nowhere as near as many features and services as Steam does. And yet, developers / publishers happily put all their games on those consoles and make huge profits. Now with Epic, while they do take 12 percent cut, they also provide virtually nothing in terms of features and services for customers. Steam on the other hand provides numerous features and services for customers for their 20 to 30 percent cut.

To give you a rough idea of the amount of features and services Steam provides, take a look at the following chart. It lists all the major features of Steam compared to other platforms on PC. These are just some of the features and services that are public knowledge and / or have been revealed by Valve themselves. There's a whole host of other infrastructures that Valve operates and maintains on a daily basis. All of these combined costs a lot of upkeep on a day-to-day basis. At the same time, Valve regularly innovates, improves and expands on all of these features, services and infrastructures to give customers and developers a better gaming and business experience.

https://imgur.com/P6cIq1u

https://steamcommunity.com/groups/steamworks#announcements/detail/1697194621363928453

When you look at all these features and services that Valve / Steam provides and are continuing to provide at an even greater capacity every single year, it is clear that out of all the other platforms, only Steam gives back the most to both consumers and developers. Unlike other platforms, Steam earns their cut AND they're adding and improving new features and services every single year for no extra charge. Not only that. Valve has also reduced their 30 percent cut to 20 percent for those who meets certain sales milestone.

https://steamcommunity.com/groups/steamworks#announcements/detail/1697191267930157838

In conclusion, what Epic is doing is using the 12 percent to undercut others using money generated from Fortnite, then trying to get developers / publishers on board with cash incentive and subsequent forced third party exclusives, and then trying to strong-arm customers with said forced exclusive deals and other anti-consumer practices while providing us virtually nothing since they cannot compete with Steam on fair grounds or match Steam's level of features and services with that 12 percent cut. Its all about greedy developers / publishers getting paid by Epic for exclusive deals while shoving down all sorts of anti-consumer / anti-competitive policies on us customers. Epic does not care about customers as they've openly proved it time and again but only care about lining their own pockets since they realize the money they generate from Fortnite is unsustainable.

Lastly, its about publisher getting a bigger share of profit while developers sees virtually no benefit from it. Most of the profit a publisher generates does not go to the developers but straight to the higher-up CEOs, CFOs, board members and the likes. If anything goes wrong, its the developers who suffers either paycuts or getting fired from those companies, while the higher-ups enjoys their every increasing profit margin. We've seen it time and again. Here are just some recent examples.

In short, Valve / Steam always has customers interest at heart followed by developers / publishers. Epic on the other hand, has only their own interests at heart, following by developers / publishers. We, the customers, will choose the platform to do business with that has our interests in mind. Because at the end of the day, we customers don't need their games to survive, its the developers / publishers who needs us, our business, to make their day-to-day living.

The following links are just some of the examples of how publishers fire hundreds of developers despite earning record profit

https://www.geekwire.com/2019/guild-wars-2-developer-arenanet-confirms-layoffs-canceled-projects/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbEtxD9nU6o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdVLJ6mLT-U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tke1c83ceXI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh0mKpzXf5A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrKDgDlbsS8The

INSTG8R and lucidus like this.