The Outer Worlds

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by CalculuS, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Yeah, as KissSh0t said, ZeniMax denied Obsidian their bonus for New Vegas because the Metacritic score was a few percent below.
    Obsidian has gone back and forth, saying they wouldn't work with Bethesda again, to saying they would like to work on Fallout again.

Seems, they just combined both of those statements and did their own thing.

2. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    It wasn't a few percent below. It was ONE POINT below. There is a lot animosity between Obisidian and Bethesda according to interviews and documentaries. I don't think either side would agree to making a game together. The Outer Worlds is most definitely their attempt to get back at BSG by outdoing them.. and the timing couldn't be more perfect.

Remember, Obsidian is what was once known as Black Isle studios. They created Fallout. Chris Avellone wrote the Fallout lore and bible.. from what I understand they were going broke and Interplay laid off a lot of staff and stopped development of the true Fallout 3. Interplay then sold off the IP to Bethesda (Zenimax) who proceeded to make Fallout 3. Black Isle formed Obsidian and, considering Fallout was their creation and baby, wanted to work with Bethesda on making the Fallout series. Bethesda screwed them over with the one point ordeal, causing the team to barely break even on the development costs of New Vegas.. making it even harder for them to stay afloat. To further kick them when down, it's been rumored that Bethesda despises the fact that most people hold New Vegas as the best of the series, so they hold a sort of childish grudge against the studio. I used to not really think Bethesda would be that incompetent, but lately I find it more and more to believe that it really boiled down to a bunch of childish babies fighting over an IP and who did a better job (the babies being Bethesda)

Obsidian deserves this game to be amazing and to put Bethesda's open world games to complete and utter shame.

Duke Nil, cerebus23, SpajdrEX and 3 others like this.
  3. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Bethesda's open worlds feel boring and outdated now anyway. Won't take much to embarrass them. Just good for laughs now. That bit about being from the original makers of FO and FONV in their trailers was gold though lol.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    cerebus23, Chess and Kolt like this.
  4. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070

I knew it was a pathetically small amount, but... I didn't care enough to actually look it up.
    At this point... it doesn't matter anymore. The bridge between Obsidian and ZeniMax is long since burned and gone.

cerebus23 likes this.

5. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I've never played Fallout 1 or 2 but I'm willing to give The Outer Worlds a try. Although I love Bethesda's sandbox games I hate their technical incompetence and stubbornness (they need a serious kick in the behind). Needless to say, I love seeing Fallout 76 crash and burn, and I hope Obsidian can provide the competition that this genre needs.

6. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Why... would you love seeing Fallout 76 crash and burn?
    Wouldn't it have been better to see it turn out great?

And, again, people have this skewed idea that Bethesda's games would be wondrously better if they got a new engine. As if that's the only reason their games have bugs.

And, have people forgotten...
    This game looks awesome, I can't wait for The Outer Worlds. But, it's Obsidian. I'm willing to bet this thing is going to be buggy as hell.
    I mean look at some of their past projects, Alpha Protocol, KotoR 2, Fallout New Vegas... this is a studio that openly accepted the joke "Obsidian. It's not a bug, it's a feature"...
    They make great games, but they make some damn buggy games.

7. S.T.A.R.A.C.

S.T.A.R.A.C. Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970 3GB WindForce
    When you have 18 months to make Fallout: New Vegas, well it can't be perfect and without bugs. But i have never encountered serious bugs in FNV. Some small glitches that are typical for open world games, yes. And i have played and finished FNV couple of times, not just once.

8. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Undying likes this.
  9. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    the reason why some of us are happy to see 76 implode is bethesda has coasted for far too long.

For lest fo4 i know they did a review boot camp where the media was allowed to play fo4 in small sessions and wined and dined and who knows what else, but then they were required to write a review even when they had not played nearly enough of the game.

But for years betheda games seems to get +2 3 points added to their game scores obsidian releases new vegas, and as far as i know bethedsa was supposed to q&a and bug fix the game before release, but did either a half arse job for the review copy because new vegas got docked for bugs, the same bugs skyrim and oblivion had in spades because gamebro....now i have said before that i played new vegas and can only recall one game breaking bug rest were quirks like imported mod armor helmets porting into the game sideways until you quit and reloaded the game and the archive bug. But like you said they got docked enough in reviews to kill the bonus by one point, now that might have something to do with why Obsidian does not trust them. Like maybe the never fixed bugs for that review copy just maybe that killed that score.

But other players said the game was horribly buggy for them so who the hell knows for 100% sure.

Either way bethesda got a pass no matter how dumbed down their games were, how cringe the voice acting and etc, its a meme now for their games. oh 9/10 great game! a 7/10 or 6/10 but opinions rite? Sure at the time some of these games might not have got docked as much back then but they were still issues. Clear issues that made those games funny as hell at times.

Nevermind how much they really been flirting with the modders and pissing those people off. So the modders were trolling 76 near day one with joke mods and jeers.

10. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I am no fan of the contemporary GaaS cash grab trash but FO76 was probably the laziest among the lot. $18 blue paint for power armor, tell us how you exploited the game or die (ban), write essay for unban thx, canvas bag controversy but giving "influencers" canvas bags, multiple nukes causing server wide disconnects, no npc's, creation club mini dlc's, engine bugs carried forward, forced and unwanted bethesda.net for PC, the list goes on and on for that game. Bethesda had it coming and I feel sorry for the other studios stuck with them (but not sorry enough to part with my money).

That dig at being from the original creators of Fallout and NV was awesome and deserved. Also kudos to MS for letting them self publish on steam because screw UWP. I used Forza Horizon 3 as a test bed, never again. I hope the game does well both for Obsidian's sake and let MS have that win since they're being the good guys here.

cerebus23 likes this.

11. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
  12. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    well obsidion and dark wacky humor had been a large part of the their fallout games, and clearly they wanted to appeal to those players that enjoyed that. And it touched me in my special place the jokes and twisted humor in the trailer so it worked.

It will be like the fallout games it will be here and there but not wall to wall hahahahahah. But there is that modern dilemma between people that want gritty and real games and people that want more campy fun games i think they can co exist though.

13. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1 to 2? I'm kinda confused. Are you talking about this game or Crackdown 3? :s

14. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    But... Bethesda didn't make Fallout 1 and 2.... your comment confuses me a little still.

cerebus23 and lucidus like this.
  15. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    and i do not recall the bethesda fallout 3 or 4 being all that funny or zany, maybe the jokes just fell flat for me tho.

fallout 2 was my first fallout game tho and the game i fell in love with, i played fo1 years later and did not find it nearly as good. people that played one first though generally perfer that as the better obsidian game.

16. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I thought you were implying Bethesda made Fallout 1 and 2 and I was like.. what.. xD

17. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    lucidus, INSTG8R and cerebus23 like this.

18. Jeparisoe

Jeparisoe Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    If they could pull that off, they would be making some money today. I could use a new game.

Kolt likes this.
  19. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB

Geryboy likes this.
  20. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Yeah not exactly the news I was hoping for.. lol

21. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Here's some info at least. Seems some stuff got leaked out for their upcoming exclusive information:

Video covering the leaked info:

Here's an image album of the leaked info:
    https://imgur.com/a/1baQE79

cerebus23 likes this.
  22. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    sounds amazing bethesda must be on suicide watch now.

lucidus likes this.