The Outer Worlds (Obsidian's new RPG game)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by CalculuS, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Yeah, I get how they changed it.
    Personally, I'm just not a fan of it. I found it more interesting to have a speech check in a conversation, and that thought... is my skill good enough to get this, can I use this option or will it backfire.
    In Outer Worlds... any time a speech check is offered, it will work. The game simply won't pose one as an option otherwise.

Same with hacking and lockpicking. I get how they changed it, and why... I just prefer having to debate for myself if my skills are good enough to take these on.

2. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Yeah, was wondering about the dialogue never failing. Could it be dependent on reputation with factions, ie, neutral or above it works and negative rep it fails?

3. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Obsidian said in a Giantbomb quick look that you can never fail a dialog option.
    The game will only ever present on if you can pass it. So, there's zero wonder or real worry when these pop up. As I said above, it's basically free XP, but using that option is a guaranteed success every time.

4. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    But what about the different areas of dialogue, like intimidate, lie, charm, persuade, etc? Is there any point choosing one over the other if they all work? And whats the point in investing skill points in dialogue?

5. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Most of the negative reports I've seen are around stuff like this. I've read/heard that the game is good, but it's also getting really overblown because of how much everyone hates Bethesda right now and want a successor to Fallout.

I'm still excited to try it out when it comes to Steam.

cerebus23 likes this.
  6. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    tough time for steam games there just too many dropping in nov/December due to "exclusive" delays and new releases.

by the time this is out jedi is out rdr is out soon, gonna be difficult this holiday or will it?

7. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Outer Worlds is exclusive to Epic and Win10 store for 12 months.
    Unless something changed, last I read/saw it won't be on Steam until Oct 2020.

8. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    oh by that long it gonna get lost in the shuffle thats cyberpunk, maybe s42 territory.

9. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Yeah, not to take away from the game or anything. But, the positive reaction from players does feel really over stated simply because it was marketed as "From the guys who made Fallout: New Vegas"...
    And after FO76, people were claiming this would be everything FO games haven't been.

Which... it's not.
    This is not an open world game, it's not as deep of an RPG as New Vegas was. It's a good game, and a lot of fun... but, it's not the flawless gem some are trying to make it out to be.

Kolt likes this.
  10. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    The biggest problem I have is the lack of difficulty in the game. Quests and stories are fun and you can usually solve them several ways, but if I need to go and blast some faces, it just isn't difficult. Same goes for stealing, I would have expected that NPCs would react when you enter their homes or places you should not be. But they don't, they don't even care if you go into area that was locked.

11. haste

haste Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 @ 2.1GHz
    ^ This game is not about difficulty or dying 4 times in one minute like in some competitive games. It's about fun. It's pretty obvious they removed everything that could annoy players. For example hacking/lockpicking minigame would be unbelievably annoying in this game. I can't imagine doing it 30+ times every hour I'd stop playing... And TBH after you acquire Mind Control Ray, the combat becomes really easy and even funny at times :) There is nothing wrong about this, if you need some instadeaths go play COD.

12. Syranetic

Syranetic Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix RTX 3080

Yeah,

I had the mind ray gun with maxed science and I literally mind controlled him while he killed all the trash mobs and then wasted him, this was on hard difficulty.

13. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    I'm not saying it has to be a twitch shooter, but as it is now there is basically no need for any weapon skills at all. Everything dies easily as it is and if you are ever hurt you can heal almost instantly, as medpacs are super abundant. At least they could have given some skill requirements to high end equipment and mods.

14. haste

haste Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 @ 2.1GHz
    Yep that is one of my complains about this game. The equipment vs stats system should have been more sophisticated. For a purely stats based game it's a bit oversimplified.

15. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Vision OC 24GB
    anyone else occasionally get a black screen monitor reset specifically during dialogue scenes?

16. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    Pump all your skill points into convo/stealth/mechanical skill checks tbh. Combat skills seems largely useless cause the game is on the easy side.

Passus likes this.
  17. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Streamed over 20+hrs to youtube Ryzen 3800X RTX 2080 and no black screens,no crashes and just did couple Hrs with PBO on 4500Mhz average clock speed on boost

18. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Vision OC 24GB
    Game doesn't crash, runs flawless other than an occasional monitor reset in dialogue, may be due to full screen and not borderless windowed.

19. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    I only run the game in full screen but that is still not true full screen on the Windows version.I would say with what you are describing ,your RAM timings may not be exactly correct and is causing this problem.

20. haste

haste Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 @ 2.1GHz
    Black screen and monitor reset points to lost D3D device. Dialogues also have pretty strong DOF on background tanking the GPU performance. So this also points to a GPU problem. I'd check Event Viewer for any driver errors. If you find some, it's either GPU drivers or your GPU/memory.