The Outer Worlds

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by CalculuS, Dec 7, 2018.

1. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Fantastic, this game is going to be massive, XBX is stunning, no HDR though but that csn always appear in a patch, but great stuff, imagine Fallout 3 and FNV and F4, but on way better game engine's that actually work. Ha

2. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    They have said you can kill every single person in the game.

3. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Keyboard and mouse not working good at all,which sucks and makes game unplayable.
    Controller works fine.

EDIT:Unplug all controllers and mouse and keyboard works as it should,hell yes back to playable.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  4. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    Took me a while to find the FOV slider, was making me feel ill on default using ultrawide but on 110 it's good, UI seems OK to me but I haven't looked at it enough :)

5. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    Not sure if useful but I have an oculus rift, G29 wheel and xbox one controller plugged in and had no issues.

6. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Thanks for the reply,not sure either,I do have issues with keyboard and mouse when wired controller plugged in.
    Wheel/peddles ok
    Wireless F710 OK
    Wired G15 keyboad/G500Mouse ok
    Wireless MK5500 Keyboard/mouse ok
    Just when wired xbox afterglow controller plugged in ,wired keyboard and mouse stop working properly,easy solution unplug xbox wired controller.

7. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    There's that config file for the Win Store version.

C:\Users\USERNAME HERE\AppData\Local\Packages\PrivateDivision.TheOuterWorldsWindows10_hv3d7yfbgr2rp\LocalCache\Local\Indiana\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor

Time to see what can be done, and also time to wait for patches because that's some buggy behavior alright, leakage and crashing on exit with more leakage. Guessing that's easy to miss but yeah it's probably going to need some work hah.

8. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    this game doesn't like GPU overclocking , crashed a lot on me until i reset the OC values to default

9. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah UE4 and pushing the cinematic preset (Ultra using the 4th preset or highest available instead of the 3rd.) though Unreal Engine is a pretty good way to judge stability since it tends to push the hardware for both GPU, CPU and RAM.
    Guessing it's a mix of the drivers and a game bug but it crashed here too and took DWM with it requiring a restart because the desktop image look pretty messed up after that, only title that's done that though but for now just going to wait a while.

Was entertaining though, made a character and got up to the first NPC and took the XP gain from the dialog choices and killing the dude though despite being alone in a cave it'll probably have some consequence later on. :D

10. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Maybe I'm not used to it but modding is more of a hassle than a benefit. Tried modding both Skyrim and GTAV and there are tons of steps and stuff. Skyrim did look nice, I'll give you that but GTAV just crashed all the time.

I install everything through the Xbox PC Beta app and not the Win10 Store. The app is pretty decent I might add.

Crap, not again. Had enough of it with Control and TD2, now this too?

11. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    It's not like you need to OC with a 2080 Ti anyways.

Passus likes this.
  12. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    ini locations, disable chromatic aberration (other than setting the "screen effects" to v low)

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Packages\PrivateDivision.TheOuterWorldsWindows10_hv3d7yfbgr2rp\LocalCache\Local\Indiana\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor​
    The config file names are the same

For Chromatic Aberration, you'll want Scalability.ini and to add the following lines:

[PostProcessQuality@0] r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0
    [PostProcessQuality@1] r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0
    [PostProcessQuality@2] r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0
    [PostProcessQuality@3] r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0
    [PostProcessQuality@4] r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0

also, mouse smoothing

Open Input.ini with any text editor.
    Enter this:
    [Engine.PlayerInput]
    bEnableMouseSmoothing=false

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
    kx11 likes this.
  13. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Oh nice, its running on UE4. happy tweaking guys :D

14. For ppl using 60Hz monitor with forced adaptive vsync... like me. This helped me to reduce stuttering caused by UE4's streaming and also makes game more smooth overall. It also helps if you want precise control over fps limit and not just 30/60/120/etc.

1. Go to game options, disable v-sync and set framerate limit to unlimited
    2. Go to nvidia drivers and make sure you have vsync set to adaptive and triple buffering on
    3. the most important part, open Engine.ini and add this to the beginning of file:
    Code:
    [/Script/Engine.Engine]
    bSmoothFrameRate=true
    SmoothedFrameRateRange=(LowerBound=(Type="ERangeBoundTypes::Inclusive",Value=22),UpperBound=(Type="ERangeBoundTypes::Exclusive",Value=62))

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2019
  15. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Ah, didn't realise this was running on Unreal Engine 4 (odd, I don't recall seeing the splash screen while the game was loading up despite having played it twice). Nice engine, certainly better than the dated Gamebryo or whatever it's called engine that Bethesda use for their (progressive poorer) RPGs.

Anyway, played it for about 90 minutes at midnight then for another 45 minutes this morning. Initial impressions are that visually and tonally the game felt very Borderlands-ish (or is it just me) with the colourful graphics and humour, and even more so once you get into the combat. I was reminded more of that game than Fallout and it was only when I got to the first settlement and started conversing with the NPCs there that Fallout came to mind.

At first, I was a little taken back by how empty the settlement was and also how static it was with NPCs just standing in the same place and not moving. After wandering around for a while and collecting a few new quests and progressing through existing ones, I started to see more NPCs walking around and the place started to feel more alive.

Love the game world so far. While shady corporations are the order of the day, and the reason for much of the (black) humour, at least it isn't a dull apocalyptic setting which makes it far more interesting to explore IMO.

As far as performance goes, the game defaulted to 2560x1440 (my native resolution) on Very High settings. I switched that to Ultra as I always do to see how it performed. The game is installed on a fast 7,200rpm hard drive and ran at 70-90 fps in the opening (linear) outdoor areas, though with (presumably streaming-related?) hitching when traversing the more wide open spaces on the way to the first settlement. As soon as I reached the settlement then the framerate tanked to 35-45 fps which was jarring even with G-SYNC. I have opted for now to cap the game at 30 fps (I'm playing with a controller anyway) and increase the motion blur to compensate for the low framerate. It seems to work fine though I may switch to 60 fps once I leave the town.

Very promising game so far and it only cost me £2. How can you grumble at that?

16. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    What the heck is that performance....? I dont really approve of this unreal engine 4

17. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090

this is for windows store ver. owners , Epicstore owners can find it in the (indiana) folder

18. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    My PC is rather old now... well, the motherboard and CPU date back to June 2013 (i7-4770K @ 3.5 GHz) with 16 GB of 1,600 MHz RAM so while the GTX 1080 Ti is still a great card, especially for 1440p gaming, I suspect that the CPU and system RAM might be contributing toward the low FPS inside the settlements. Outside, in the wilderness, the game runs great, at well over 60 fps.

I am using G-SYNC but even that doesn't help disguise the huge difference in motion and input response going from sub-50 fps in the settlements to 90 fps while exploring outside. That's why I opted to cap the game at 30 fps and with motion blur cranked up to 100% it feels fine. Not ideal but let's be realistic here, my PC is getting on a bit now so it isn't surprising that a newer title perhaps doesn't run as well as I would like. I plan to upgrade my PC next year sometime anyway and upgrade my graphics card.

19. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    As an owner of a 3440x1440@95Hz monitor, unfortunately I do for many titles.

20. GarrettL

GarrettL Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4070 TI
    I just got to work and looked at my emails.

I bought an AMD 3800x three weeks ago from Micro Center. I got the AMD rewards at that time with Borderlands. Just received an email from AMD rewards that also gave an activation code for The Outer Worlds!

Wow. Love the way the game looks on the demos. Can't wait to give it a go.

Keitosha likes this.