The official gtx 480 / 470 thread!! Any comments or questions

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Bodar, Mar 20, 2010.

1. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Ancient Guru

GPU:
    some green some red
    where do you reckon the preorders are going to pop up first in the uk?:)

2. FlinchingNinja

FlinchingNinja Member Guru

GPU:
    460 HAWK, 88GTS 4 Physics
    Anyone know if the new design means different cards in sli?

Crossfire has been doing this for ages and it would be ace if Nvidia finally did this, the new architecture seems to scale extremely well so implementing a version of super tiling like ATI would seriously increase the performance in multi GPU setups.

Everyone seems to be saying these cards aint much of an improvement over the 5000s yet the benchmarks are showing much higher overall FPS especially in the minimum values.

Am glad i got my silly 1KW supply now :).

3. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    That's what I was thinking when I saw the benchmark results for DiRT 2 and Far Cry 2 in the other thread between the GTX 480 and HD5870. The lead was more than 10% and in the case of Far Cry 2 it was 50% with the minimum framerate on the GTX 480 being equal or higher than the average for the HD5870. Of course, both the GTX 470 and GTX 480 have more video memory than the HD5870 so I would expect results to be better at higher resolution when high AA is used as that combined with textures can gobble up the card's RAM.

We have to be realistic though and take those benchmarks with a pinch of salt for now because for all we know the Far Cry 2 ones may be without AA and once AA is added the HD5870 might be faster if it can handle it more efficiently. I'd still expect the GTX 480 to have the upper hand at 2560x1600 though due to the extra memory and bandwidth.

4. Solid Snake

Solid Snake Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 480 SLI
    How long will it take for AlienWare to start selling these cards?

5. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    supertiling is a rendering method that ati cards default to when theres no crossfire profile. performance is nowhere near as good as alternate frame rendering, but it allows for greater compatiblity as it will run games in supertiling if a crossfire profile has yet to be released.

you guys have to remember tho, the benchmarks showed the '512sp' version surpassing the 5870, unless theres a '480sp' version with benchmark attached, something tells me the margin wont be that much higher than the 5870.

the main thing that im curious about, is that if it only beats a 5870 by 5%, is it really worth the 25% increase in power consumption over a 5870?

if the final product performs well, and they end up releasing a 512sp version, i might contemplate making the swap. but right now, i just want to see benches.

6. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Well we're now hearing that the GTX 480 is on average 25% faster, sometimes 10%, sometimes as much as 60% but always faster than the HD5870. Until the reviews arrive though there's no knowing how much truth there is to that claim. Would be nice if it was true.

As for the 25% increase in power consumption thing... I'm running a GTX 280 that uses 6+8 pin power connectors and has a TDP over 250 W so I'm not going to see any difference in power consumption with this new card but I will get double the performance so I can't grumble. Add to that PhysX support, better Folding@home performance, game profiles and generally better, more stable drivers (hopefully) plus the TWIMTBP branding and several exclusive features in games such as native AA in Batman Arkham Asylum and GPU water simulation/Bohek filtering for Just Cause 2 makes it easier to swallow IMO.

I'm prepared to switch to an HD5870 if the GTX 480 is somehow a disappointment, runs way too hot or is prohibitively expensive here in the UK but I don't really want to for the reasons I've listed above. NVIDIA cards cost more comparatively than ATI ones but you get extra features above and beyond what the competition offer IMO.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  7. GC_PaNzerFIN

GC_PaNzerFIN Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 + AC Xtreme
    Heh, maybe not. But I agree that its damn nice improvement over 280 which is very nice card already. :)

8. Nictron

Nictron Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3070 Dual OC
  9. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Sorry... I've got GTX 480 on the brain at the moment... I'll edit it.

/blushes

10. civato

civato Master Guru

GPU:
    2xGTX570 sli on H2O EK
    Overclocking the GTX470 & 480 will be possible !!!!!

"ASUS has confirmed that its upcoming GeForce GTX 480 and GeForce GTX 470 graphics cards will utilise Voltage Tweak technology."

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. sk8zophrenia

sk8zophrenia Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX1060
    nice feature.. gotta see what other features from other companies will offer.

12. Crimson King

Crimson King Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 5870
  13. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    With a supposed as standard 400watt capable cooler theres definately going to be some overclocking headroom provided your power-supply is up to the job.

Since it's so powerful already, I gather even small overclocks will show bigger differences than past generations. Hopefully we'll see at least on par overclocked performance increases as Ati's 5000 series.

14. dune2

dune2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Titan X Aqua
  15. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    Rodney needs to get to review these cards cause it's looking like a kick ass product.

16. MAD-OGRE

MAD-OGRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA 780 Classifieds
    Saw this over on EVGA's forums, sweet rig I must say.
    [​IMG]

17. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    LOL! GTX470 just for physx! Really nice setup if you can affford it! Let's see them numbers...

18. Jae-So

Jae-So Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070
    ^ that would be stupid lol, that 470 would be completely wasted

19. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    No, but, what is stupid is having full opencl support and no physics engine to make use of it. ;)

20. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    amd made the deal with digital molecular matter physics engine last september http://bulletphysics.org/wordpress/ we might see something very soon..