The official gtx 480 / 470 thread!! Any comments or questions

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Bodar, Mar 20, 2010.

1. elva007

elva007 Member

GPU:
    XFX HD 6870 1G
    hey guys I have looked at the review and I can say that radeon hd5870 is better than Nvidia gtx470 and when I checked at the amzon hd5870 costs 10$ less so whats the point?

2. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6800
  3. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Not as bad as the 5970, and it is only 10% off the 5870 when it comes to performance per dollar, add in all the Nvidia exclusive features, and if they float your boat the performance per dollar looks as good if not better than a 5870.

4. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I think I'll pick up a 470 when summer vacation comes around. Should have most price and driver issues worked out and also makes a good B-Day present to myself.

5. SureFireT1000

SureFireT1000 Member Guru

GPU:
    TRI-FIRE 5970+5870
  6. Adicto

Adicto Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 9600GT 512MB
    *Awaits Bodar Benchmarks* :D

7. Kalish colt

Kalish colt Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS 5870
    Fermi is a thing I am setting my eyes on. For now a 5870 is enough, though through the course of time, I may switch to a Nvidia card.

Safe, Kolt. :)

8. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    I couldn't find anything about this after a few searches but it's probably somewhat known.

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,...tched-image-quality-in-modern-games/Practice/

It's about the 470 and 480 being able to use SGSSAA under DX10 and DX11.
    (Full screen super sampling anti aliasing.) whereas the main competitor (ATI 5800 series.) can only handle it under DX9.
    (Unless updated later on via a driver, similar to edge-detect and adaptive-aa initially.)

Pretty impressive but SSAA is quite demanding even for higher-end models.
    (Even more so obviously if it's being applied under DX11 on tessellated models and similar, visual quality would be very impressive however.)

9. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Is it me or Memory doesn't OC so well on 470? I can bump Core/shader a lot, but not memory before games freeze up. :/

10. newr

newr Member

GPU:
    GTX 480 SLI Water Cooled
    With the amount of heat that it generates, you should better put off till WINTER time. :)

11. DimmyK

DimmyK Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 580 Lighting SLI
    I was able to bump up memory to 1755 before it started artifacting in unigine heaven. Whats your highest stable? Currently running it @ 703/1405/1755, stable in everything I throw at it.

edit: how do you like it so far btw? I remember you were coming from GTX 260 SLI... Was it worth it?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
  12. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Well I'm not getting artifacts and temps are fine... but I get a whole game crash instead with whole screen artifacted. Then I get the Kernel driver thing failure. I'm pretty disapointed because it's not a high OC at all.

So far it's not worth it because it doesn't want to OC. Temps are amazing, but some games keeps crashing on a low OC.

Anyway it passes all stress tests. OC scanner, furmark, etc. But some games = crash

13. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Okay *knock on wood*

I installed 197.55 drivers instead and uninstall the new audio driver installed by Nvidia. No crashes so far after tons of Crysis run. After all it might have been just a driver issue, will test more.

14. eternitykh

eternitykh Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW+ 4GB SLI
    i've been able to push it to 1850 on the mem no problem, no artifacting or crashes in games or benchmarks. on a side note i also clocked core/shader to 800/1600 @ 1.05v