The "Occupy" phenomenon.

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by RandyB, Oct 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    HIS HD4870/Samsung2343BWX
    Has anyone attended one of these? I'll be going down to the art gallery in Vancouver today to show support against the corporate takeover, of not only the U.S., but the entire planet. It shouldn't be any secret now, how I feel about the likes of Monsanto, taking over the world's food supply.
    https://foodfreedom.wordpress.com/2...s’-judge-quits-to-work-for-monsanto-law-firm/
    http://www.vancouversun.com/Occupy+Vancouver+Follow+demonstration+live/5552394/story.html
    It's about time Canadians grew a set! It's interesting that the media is offering so much coverage on this one. I guess it was just impossible to keep it quiet. :banana:
    BTW:
    http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/...st+violence+Occupy+protest/5552096/story.html
    Typical fearmongering and justification for abuse of power by the police. I expect them to be in full riot gear. I'll take photos and see if my assumption is correct.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  2. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 1660 Ti OC
    Umm... Big corporations also do bring price down for products they make, because they sell much and they can split the money which goes to development and so on... Only talking about food supply ? Yah, I agree on that. Local stuff, should be legal to buy from farms without shop between there and so on, stuff stays fresh and supports local economy. Other stuff, not sure if it's really that bad. And good to have bigger food companies also so everyone can afford food.

[​IMG]

3. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    One of the big problems with the food is; as more and more GMO corn, soy, canola and cottonseed (which is largely subsidized by the goverment) sneaks its way into the food supply, the prices continue to rise. Shouldn't the prices be dropping? A package of wieners (full of "modified corn starch") that was $3.00 two years ago, is now $6.00!

4. TDurden

TDurden Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390 Nitro
    I am somewhat at loss at what they try to reach or what is the goal of these people?
    I also don't know what the goal could be.
    Capitalism is somewhat encoded in our genes.

5. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    I would prefer if this movement translated into votes and real candidates.

There needs to be political change but these guys do not not seem to have legitimate demands or any sort of message to convey. They are just pissed at the system, they should be concentrating on alternatives to the current political landscape.

I believe there needs to be change, the current social order is not working out and there needs to be a re-adjustment in values and how we do things.

6. ESlik

ESlik Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    Capitalism doesn't
    have to mean GREED! Nor does it mean Crook! Crooked and greedy lenders, and investment corporations caused the monetary mess we are ALL in. Canada included. The jobs we once had will never come back simply because there are no manufacturing companies left in North America. The big corps. moved thier operations to China,India,and on and on. They didn't do it to be competative,they did it for PROFIT only. Profit is a good thing,but when greed interferes,it's game over for jobs and the middle class here in North America.

7. pedropaulo

pedropaulo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD5850
    I´ts a good movement that was my direct support, i involved in it.
    Unfortunately the political instrumentation of a popular and legit movement might cause damage to is objective.

It´s not against capitalism , like ESlik stated, its against corruption and greed that are undermining the life of millions and the society itself.

8. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Food prices go up because of increased demand, and the ever increasing price of diesel. Yes, fuel prices play a huge part in food costs for obvious reasons. Without genetically modified crops we would be doomed.

9. nexu

nexu Maha Guru

GPU:
    HD4870 512MB (@795/1085)
    ...and with them, we are doomed a little bit earlier. Why wait right?

10. ReLaps3

ReLaps3 Banned

GPU:
    XFX HD5770 1gig ddr5
    Capitalism is brainwashed into our brains from birth

11. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    Over the past thirty years the combination of banking and corporate power have mixed with improving technology to destroy the bargaining power of the working and lower middle class. Now those people are hurting and aren't certain who's to blame or how to articulate it.

They know somebody has hurt them and can see the banks/corporations more clearly than the structural changes in our world. The people are scattered and leaderless, those who should be leading them do not know how or have become consumed by other concerns.

The people are crying out in pain it's that simple. It sickens me that people mock them, it's like mocking a crying child who can't tell you why/where it hurts.

I'm going to go change my registration from republican to independent soon, the **** I've heard people saying is infuriating me.

12. IcE

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Explain how having them dooms us earlier. Are you one of those people who think genetically modified crops cause cancer, bad breath, and divorces?

13. wootwoot

wootwoot Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX295
    They are pathetic.

14. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    You will never understand what's going on, no matter who explains it or how it's explained!:bang:

15. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390 8GB
    yup, you're right and we're wrong

expect more predictions in the coming months

16. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
  17. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
  18. peanutmanak47

peanutmanak47 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    I like big corporations. They create tons of jobs(as well as crushing tons). Give me lower prices on a lot of things.

Big corporations started out small. They were just successful and kick ass. Stop your bitching.

19. IcE

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Lol yes, I'll never understand, even though I can guarantee my IQ is substantially higher than your own. If you knew even the most basic things about how farming works, you'd learn that diesel costs are the biggest expenditure a farmer has to deal with today. How do you think fertilizer gets spread, tilling gets done, or harvesting? It certainly isn't with magic and dreams that's for sure.

Also none of those "sources" actually prove that the genetic modifications in the crops are doing any of that. More than likely, it's the pesticides they're using. It's not as if the entire chemical structure of the plants is being re written here.

Lol if you follow the link in the last article to the scientists page who did that research (it looks of poor quality and shady but I'll ignore that), they even state it's the herbicide that causes the problem, and that the crops are just engineered to not die from it. So how is that Monsanto's fault?

Tl;dr
    Learn chemistry and basic economics

20. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    "How do you think fertilizer gets spread" I'm thinking, quite a bit of it is coming from you! Damn; your superior mind didn't see that one coming - did it. :banana:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.