The Oblivion Thread

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by fajitasforme7, Jul 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fajitasforme7

fajitasforme7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 7900GTX
    well since oblivion is such an amazing game it definetely needs its own thread so here it is.

pretty much just talk about everything oblivion.
    what mods you use,which you think are the best
    funny experiences in the game.
    what you think would be better.
    questions,if you need help

mainly anything

2. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080ti
    The Unofficial Oblivion Guru's recepi list

You can probably find these mods on any Oblivion tweaksite, but just for all your questions, here a list of absolutely essential Mods for Oblivion:

(For those wondering they have to pay for planet elder scrolls and elder scrolls source: NO! you don't have to, you can make a free account! when Planet elder scrolls wants you to take a subscription, just hit the red "log on" button hovering above" :D)

Things you should install, BEFORE you install any mods:
    The latest patch (1.1 as of now)

Oblivion Mod manager

Essential Graphical Mods:
    LOD normalmap fix: Fixes the f*cked up normal map for the distant landscape. And an extra fix

Vissible when distant: This mod causes the game to display lots of buildings in the distance instead of them just popping up when you get close (WILL cost you some performance!)

here are the LOD textures that you should use with Qarl's texture pack (see non-essential graphical mods) All LOD texture packs are here

No persistent Enchantment Glow: Removes the constant effect of you being a lantarn when you cast spells on yourself or on weapons.

Immersive Interface: Makes the HUD look less console-like and dumbed down.

BTmod: lets you see more items than the lousy six original at once in the menu. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Natural Faces: makes all faces in the game look less pixellated.

Not so essential Graphical Mods:
    Lowpoly grass: Makes the grass lowpoly which causes a large performance increase in large grassy scenes.(thanks to jsv004)

You can use these mods seperately or together, which one you like the most, should be installed last.
    Jarrod's textures: very nice texture pack that doesn't have a large performance hit.

Parallax Giga pack: Makes lots of textures look more realistic

Qarl's textures are superior, If you have the rig to run Oblivion with Qarl's smoothly, you don't need the others. And as Qarl was actually only much better fitted for 512mb cards, it's because of this mod that 256mb cards can run it fine with almost no quality loss! (this only for qarls pack 2! Pack 3 is still too heavy for 256mb cards, except when you play @medium texture detail, which still looks much better than vanilla oblivion, except for the creature/clothes/weapon textures :()

Here's his texture pack added to the thread by the great texture master Qarl himself:
    DOWNLOAD QTP3 from Elricm
    DOWNLOAD patch 1.2 from Elricm

Better Tiling for Qarls texture pack

Also, dev_akm has updated his "TOTO" site so you can now see all your game texture options:
    TOTO

Illumination Within Revived: A cpu-friendly version of the mod which show lights from windows at night.

Essential Gameplay/feature mods:
    Artifacts of Tamriel: Adds lots of equipment to Oblivion.

Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul 1.3: LOTS of gameplay changes, lot of mods included, It is highly recommended you start a new game if you plan to use OOO (Alternatively you could use Francesco's rebalance mod) ((I recommend using the -lite version of OOO with all extensions but the slow-level and making you a lot weaker and enemies a lot stronger part))

No psychic guards
    : Tired of the guards knowing you committed a crime, even when there were no witnesses or guards in a 10-mile radius? This mod makes guard behaviour more realistic. Also if you killed a guard, not everyone in the world will know it. Bit unrealistic is it? Killing a guard in the wilderness and suddenly the whole world knows it? :S

Jog's Stealth Overhaul: Possibly the best stealth overhaul yet, read the instructions well!

Sound Mods:
    More immersive sound: Makes the sound of the world sound more immersive (duh :p)

Uniquelandscapes should really be checked out, it doesn't alter gameplay much, but adds a lot of athmosphere to the world.

How to fix the screen blacking out on Nvidia cards when HDR is on

Last edited: Feb 21, 2007
  3. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    I've got a question for you Gromuhl'Djun: Is there any Oblivion mod that only makes one change to the water, and that is eliminate the "foggyness" of it while underwater???

EDIT: I know that Natural Environments does this, but I don't like that mod because it makes the HDR in the game look...... bland....

4. Gromuhl'Djun

GPU:
    1080ti
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2006

5. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB

Ok thanks mate, I'll try that. :)

6. Gromuhl'Djun

GPU:
    1080ti
    Edited my post I got the title of the mod mixed up :p

7. fajitasforme7

GPU:
    EVGA 7900GTX
    dude i soo need to become arch mage of the arcan university so i can have a battlemage follow me around everywhere and help me fight stuff....

8. Sieras

Sieras Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 4GB
    I'm doing Mages Guild quests now, looking forward to do the same :) I've already done Thief's and Fighters storylines :)

BTW, great idea to start a thread like that :p

9. fajitasforme7

GPU:
    EVGA 7900GTX
    yeah well its not doing as great as i thought it was

10. Sieras

Sieras Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 4GB
    it should be doing better when more people will know that it's here :) a few days should help ;)

11. Valuga

Valuga Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD/ATi Radon HD4870
    all what i can say is Greath game ^__^ but it need more work with thinks like sneek and lvl :p becos i did finish Black hand at lvl 2 <.< with no sneak guy -_- thats bad think in game!

12. Zapmaster

Zapmaster Sherlock Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4870
    You know I'd love to hear as to what exactly people think is so amazing about Oblivion, because I found it to be way overhyped, far from amazing and a very average game.

13. Valuga

Valuga Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD/ATi Radon HD4870
    yes it's overhyped! i must self love sidequests!! dont realy like storyline ones <.< but game should be better for my 60euros what i gave up for it <.< graphycs are good.. yes good! becos i play on medium and dont see enything over awsome in then :p i like game play too but lvling is way too slow D:

14. Sieras

Sieras Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 4GB
    it depends on what abilities you choose as major ones :)

15. S31Kronos

S31Kronos Member Guru

GPU:
    msi r4870 1gb
    What is not to like? It's completely non-linear, the graphics are incredible, the gameplay is smooth. There may be some questions as far as the overall difficulty vs. level thing, but jeez, what do you guys expect? The only real complaint I have is the lack of multiplayer, but for the genre, it is easily the best game I've ever played...

16. WildStyle

WildStyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    You should have started a thread like this when the game was released. Doing so would've saved all the many Oblivion threads that we've had over the past months. The onslaught is sort of over now.

17. Gromuhl'Djun

GPU:
    1080ti
    Indeed, it is overhyped. I had to install 10 mods just to get the gameplay how I wanted it (have 70 atm) and now it's one of the best games I have. But without mods it wasn't as good imo.
    That's the power of a game like this: the mods. The day after the game was released there were already some pretty good gameplay enhancing mods.

18. Valuga

Valuga Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD/ATi Radon HD4870
    yes u are so rigth :D i love mods in oblivion! my fav is when they add birds in forest :D it make more life in there

19. Robbie Man

Robbie Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7950GT 512mb
    iv got a big problem!!! My oblivion game messed up so i had to delete it and reinstall it, luckly i saved my my doc/oblivion save folder... How do i put these back in to continue to play, i really dont wanna start over :(

20. Zapmaster

Zapmaster Sherlock Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4870
    Non-linear?

Yes, it's non linear in a sense that you can go anywhere, but it's very linear when it comes to solving quests, almost all of them involve killing someone or something, and there no absulutly no way to roleplay as to how you choose to solve the quests. I am not saying that Oblivion should offer Fallout quantity of choices, but at least few that would allow the player to effect the game world would have been a big bonus. As is, it's just a great looking action rpg (which isn't what previews promissed).

Gameplay is smooth?

I don't know about you, but should an rpg let you win a fight with a weapon you have no skill points in because you are "good" at it's fighting system? Should we able to become arena masters with lvl 1 charaters? Should super well guarded chests cointain crap because you are not high lvl enough to get the better stuff? Should every bandit in the game have the exact same armor as you because they leveled up with you? Should the player be penalised for leveling up? This is game is full of problems there were solved by other rpgs before it, and 95% of reviews never even mentioned any of these issues, instead most of them gave the game above 90% scores and told you how it's the best rpg ever made. I am not trying to pick on you or anything, and I am glad you are having so much fun with Oblivion, but if you think it's the best rpg ever than you haven't played very many.

And Gromuhl'Djun, you are right, there are some mods out there that make big fixes to the game, and that's great (certianly helped me get my moneys worth). But I don't think the fact that the game is very modable made it ok for Bethesda to have released the game like it was (which according to them, are not problems, but features).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.