1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Mad Box

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by The Laughing Ma, Jan 3, 2019.

1. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    WC 980GTX
    https://www.thesixthaxis.com/2019/0...ectedly-announces-console-called-the-mad-box/

So the CEO of Slightly Mad studios (Project Cars) has decided to announce that they are working on what he calls an 'ultra high end' gaming console designed to take on the next gen PS and Xbox.

So, yeah a studio with zero hardware experience is going to launch what they are pretty much describing as the holy grail of home gaming consoles in around three years time.

Thoughts folks?

Loobyluggs likes this.
  2. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    from what I read they said able to do 120 FPS for VR according to gamespot.com either way that is gona have to be one beefy systems with equally beefy price. though honestly I dont think it will matter atlest not to me, I been Playstation user since PS1 that will most likely not change.

I think it more likely 1 of 2 things happen, I either become Console (playstation) user only, Or PC user only, Right now I leaning toward Consoles only simiple due to prices getting out hand on PC side things

3. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970 Mini, KD55XD800
    pipe dream

4. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi 1070 X / 970 / 780Ti
    Soon to be added to the pile of failed consoles. If it ever gets made which is also unlikely. You need dump trucks filled with cash for a venture like this.

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz
    I do not know about 3 years in future plans. By then HW will be different than today. On 10th we may already have very different expectations from device calling itself 'Mad'.

Ability to develop directly on given device is very tempting. But it means that users will be enabled to break it on software level.
    May be fun device. May be total flop. I would not mind if it was successful.

But I wonder if ti will be windows/linux compatible on software level. How they intend to kickstart demand for device. Apparently nobody will want console which can run 10 demo projects.

6. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    Here is a check'box' for success:

1) "Developers Developers Developers"

Push the platform for indie/startup/app development with enticing deals along the lines of ZERO cost for the young up'and'commers out there, stuck in an insane 30% 'off the top' deal with Apple they cannot wiggle out of; looking for new platforms to develop on. Make the tools/engine free.

Essentially, make it so the only companies that are charged are the Electronic Arses of the world, looking to launch a new version of "Call of Battlefield 47"

2) "Developers Developers Developers"

Give them tools to die for, covering the import/export loop from Blender Org, Autodesk, Adobe ét all, as well as masses of 'bugfixy stuff' for performance.
    The least amount of outside tools required to make a game, the better. None is optimal. No licensing = no cost = more developers = more games = higher competition = higher quality = more users.

3) "Developers Developer Developers"

Free training. Total support. Unwavering multi-lingual back up across the planet 24/7/365.

4) Technically brilliant

Bespoke architecture. Designed for gaming. Nothing, and I mean nuthin' taken off the shelf of PC components bargain bin. Give the consumer something brand spanking new, not rehashed tech from yesteryear.

¬

In essence, this is not something SMS can deliver as I suspect it will (taking my points one by one) be something like this:

1) Bad deals for small studios, like Al Pacino in 'Oceans Thirteen', I suspect they will build it for 'Whales'. They want the cream. Every fat cat does, and this is no tiny innocent kitten. This company? They got claws. Project cars one and two are terrible games from the technical, to the mechanical and then to how they 'dealt with' the people who bought the game.

2) Anything outside the engine, is the problem of the developer - essentially the engine will be an 'authoring tool' for stuffs, making so you can deliver the game/app, but the actual development will be (primarily) on every other piece of software on the market.

3) An FAQ and a portal with the least amount of support and backup for issues.

4) Hahahahahahaha. They have no abilities in this area. They have produced nothing over the years. They are not a hardware manufacturer. They have no one working for them who has the ability to design CPU's/GPU's/APU's or anything. They do not even have people working for them who can design and write an RTOS for the blinking light on the front of the 'box', let alone the Bluetooth communication.

~

So, what will we get? Simple: nothing of relevance. I would be more interested in Hoover creating a games console. At least they have experience in manufacturing and RTOS's.

Never buy anything from a company that has no experience in manufacturing. Ever. This is why I do not own a Microsoft console; because they are not a manufacturer.

Remember this:

[​IMG]

Yeah. I'll never forget it.

7. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Ti GamingX
    This will probably just be another "Steam box" where they cram whatever hardware they can fit into the smallest box they can find/create and put a linux distro on it and call it a console.

Loobyluggs likes this.
  8. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    That is probably the best summarisificationed reply to anything I have ever posted.

[​IMG]