The Last of Us Part I PC Port Receives 77% negative ratings on Steam, due to poor optimization

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 29, 2023.

1. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    If you're using DLSS, the game is rendered at a lower resolution and "upscaled" to native. It's not even remotely the same as rendering at native resolution. If you're playing at 1440P but rendering at 720P, you're reducing required resources dramatically.

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Someone needs to cover badly optimized games. How else will devs ever get a reason to fix them? If the media can drive people away from badly optimized or buggy games, maybe studios will feel more inclined to fix issues.....

Maddness and Why_Me like this.
  3. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    ND already got the message with the 77% negative Steam reviews.

DanielRX, Maddness and Why_Me like this.
  4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Media coverage should have forced them to fix it before it got that far. If the D4 beta had been an absolute dumpster fire, I'd expect the game reviewers to completely trash the game and Blizzard until they fixed it.

Maddness, Why_Me and AuerX like this.

5. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    The game is playable with 8GB. You just have to be realistic and chose high or medium settings instead of ultra.

TheDigitalJedi and Maddness like this.
  6. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Nah. Choose DLSSp 1440p or DLSSq 1080p. Leave everything ultra. I had no problems, butter smooth and the game was beautiful.

7. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    I read a credible report that there are still bad slow-downs with high textures on 3070 in 1440p, so you really need to switch to blurry medium textures.

That being said, the game now runs relatively fine on my system with maxed out settings and mouse stutter really is fixed. Far more enjoyable game than stupid Uncharted.

8. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Well it must have not been very credible, because its inaccurate.

9. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Sorry if I hurt your feelings, but I rather consider opinions that I know aren't totally deformed by some unhealthy bias.

Horus-Anhur likes this.
  10. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    If I could record video of ALL of these games running absolutely fine, I would. I would in fact challenge you to tell me the DLSS mode. It just costs significant fps and OBS is a black screen.

Tell me a proper way to record video, as I only know how to use xbox game bar recording... Consider that it runs 25 percent faster (in the case of Cyberpunk PT at least) when not recording and I will make individual videos of everything.

1440p DLSSp is key. It is a nice sweet spot.

11. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    It could be a performance monitor keeping OBS from showing anything but a black screen. Try closing them first.

12. HybOj

HybOj Master Guru

GPU:
    Gygabite RTX3080
    I bet your virtual memory is either set to "auto" or too low. I had these crashes on 16gb RAM during shader compilation, I upped my Virtual mem from 10gb to 25gb and never crashed again.

Anyway, the game runs "fine" - its not heavy on the GPU power, quite heavy on VRAM (but 10gb is ok) and very heavy on CPU, but r5 3600 is enough for 60fps (but u get "nice" 90% utilization almost everywhere)

All in all, GREAT game, and the optimalization is not THAT bad, ppl just went nuts on the poor game :D
    Wonder what rating Hogwards has? It look 10x worse and runs like crap.

13. TheDigitalJedi

TheDigitalJedi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2X ASUS TUF 4090 OC
    Many Playstation studio games to PC have rough starts but they get much better over time. Horizon Zero Dawn is a prime example. I've seen the game run smooth as butter across many systems after being updated.

The Last Of Us is still a huge title with Sony and Naughty Dog. Naughty Dog and Iron Galaxy will work out the woes. I'm testing the game on my previous system and it is running very well.

64gb DDR4 3600
    Samsung 980 Pro Nvme

In my opinion this system STILL ROCKS! It can still play anything with great framerates.

Maddness likes this.