The King of AGP: Gainward 7876-BLISS 7800GS Silent 512MB GS+

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by DeMarki, May 11, 2006.

1. DeMarki

DeMarki Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 570 SoC 1280
    Hi there! I'm new to this forum and I have a couple of questions regarding this new AGP card(Gainward 7876-BLISS 7800GS Silent 512MB GS+) I just ordered from an online store in Germany for 399 Euro.
    This card packs a G71 7900GT processor, 24 Pipelines, 8 Vertex Shaders and 512MB GGR3 memory. Fair enough for AGP.

http://www.alternate.de/html/product...?artno=JBGWA2&

I didn't have to money to upgrade new CPU-MB-GPU, so I chose to spare 400 Euro and buy the fastest AGP card available instead, so I could enjoy the latest games without any sacrifices. I only play on 1280x1024 cause I got TFT screen anyway, but in full detail plus AA/AF.

My system is:

P4 Prescott 3.0GHz Socket 478
    ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe
    4x512MB OCS Platinum 2-3-2-5 Dual Channel
    Albatron GeForce 6800 Vanilla
    Creative SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS
    Seagate 80GB SATA HD
    Eizo M1700 17" TFT
    Logitech Z-2300 2.1 THX
    350W Supply
    360W UPS

I have some very important Questions and I need some advice:

1) Will I need a bigger Power Supply? I'm thinking of getting a 420W supply if necessary.
    2) What Voltage should I apply to my AGP Port? I run my older 6800 Vanilla runs at 1.6V. Should I leave it to default(1.5V) or change that via BIOS? Will I actually see any difference if I change the AGP Voltage?
    3) Should I try to further overclock the card? Because Gainward says that it's already overclocked and I don't wanna risk loosing warranty or wasting the card for an extra 2-3 FPS.
    4) Someone told me that my P4 3.0GHz will act as a bottle neck and stall my card's Performance! Does my system stall this Graphic card? Cause I heard from somewhere that if your GPU is much much faster than your CPU power then your CPU stalls the GPU card. Do you think my system is ok to handdle tough games?
    5) Should I use Riva Tuner with this card and if yes, for what reason? I used Riva Tuner with my older 6800 just to unlock Pipes and Vertex, but the new card has already everything unlocked.
    6) Which Drivers should I use, the latest official ones or some Beta's? I just want to have a good perfomance with a stable system and I'm not sure if it's worth it using non official and stable drivers.

2. iRkuN

iRkuN Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4850 512MB OC
    Congratulations for your new GFX card. I think that ATM this is the flagship of the AGP port.
    About the questions now...
    1) IMHO you need to upgrade your PSU to ensure stability. 430-450 W minimum.
    2) A safe bet is to leave it to default.
    3) I am not sure but i believe there is some room for overclocking. Never know unless you try... :)
    4) Generally it depends to the game. Some of them are more CPU dependant and others less of it. But i think there will be some bottleneck issue here.
    5)Feel free to use Rivatuner but as you already say there isnt anything to unlock.
    6) It depends on alot of things (Games you play, OC etc) but in my opinion better use the official drivers.

Last edited: May 11, 2006
  3. weiran

weiran Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900GT 256MB + 2x 19" TFTs
    If your current one works well, then it should be fine. I have a 7900GT running of a 305W Dell PSU.
    Leave it at the default value in the BIOS.
    If you really need the extra speed you can, but not many games will phase that card unless you play at over 1600x1200 resolution.
    Obviously, a faster CPU will give you better performance in games, but your CPU is fine with that card.
    No point unless you want to overclock.
    The latest Forceware 84.21 official work very well for me.

4. bliss007

bliss007 Banned

GPU:
    Asus GTX 580
    Increasing agp volts was ok to try get little more overclock out older cards that only got power from agp slot, these new card get most of power from aux power connector(s) plugged into back of card so leave it 1.5v.

I have this card and with simple pencil mod from 1.2v to 1.4v Its now 650/1550.

5. DeMarki

DeMarki Master Guru

GPU:
    Thank you for your fast replies!

About the CPU stalling Graphics card issue, I'm just wondering why some people say that my P4 Prescott 3.0GHz HT will stall my new card?

I mean will my CPU reduce my new card's performance? don't forget that I'm using 2GB of fast DDR too, I'm not that sure what kind of requirements do the latest games(Oblivion,CoD2) have, since I play on 1280x1024.

Something else: How much AGP Aperture Memory for the best performance?

You just said to me to leave it default at 1.5V, why do you run your card in less Voltage than default?

6. weiran

weiran Master Guru

GPU:
    Yes in some cases, your the performance will probably be CPU limited rather then GPU limited. But there is almost no point upgrading your CPU to another one, and a 3GHz P4 is plenty enough grunt for any game out now or in the near future with that graphics card.

7. bliss007

bliss007 Banned

GPU:
    Asus GTX 580
    Well a 3GIG Intel aint as powerfull as a AMD equiv, like say a Barton XP3200 < means EQUIV to 3.2GIG, you can argue it may not be but thats what name means.

AGP size in bios is normally 64, 128 or 256.
    Id say for todays rigs with 1-2GIG of ram and 256-512MB cards thats 256MB is still best settings, it will only get used if card runs out of its own ram and your 512MB card wont for a long while.

8. DeMarki

DeMarki Master Guru

GPU:
    Ok, so far but I still have a question regarding AGP Voltage.

As far as I know the default AGP Voltage is 1.5V right? I don't understand what happens if you either increase, or decrease that Voltage.

If increasing AGP Voltage helps you overclock you card easier then why do some people mess around with pencils and actually lose their warranty and risk their money just to get 1.2V-1.4V?
    Is it better to have lower Voltage than default and why?

I don't understand why they do such a thing, I mean what's the problem with keeping the default AGP Voltage and be sure that the card works perfect and you don't lose the warranty?

9. weiran

weiran Master Guru

GPU:
    Newer cards take their power from an external source (the connector on the card) rather than the AGP slot. Therefore to actually increase the V, you need to do a mod.

Increasing the V will give you better stability at higher clocks, but with the disadvantage of more heat and invalidating your warrenty. Either way, leave it at the 1.5V default, as increasing the AGP voltage will do nothing for newer cards that take power from another source.

10. bliss007

bliss007 Banned

GPU:
    Asus GTX 580
    I already told you above why agp volts dont do much with todays new cards, you risk card and mobo putting it to high, and I have never seen any mobos that you can lower it bellow default of 1.5v

11. Liverboy

Liverboy New Member

Hello I registred because I cannot find suggestion for my problem.
    I bought the Gainward 7800GS+ 512mb AGP.
    I tried to install but doesnot work, i read how much power supply it need and paper said 400W. My power supply is Hiper Type R 480W I think thats enough?
    I conected GPU conector with two molex conector straith to PSU conetcor, but again same reuslt, I tried really everything but , not work at all.
    I tried disconected all other hardware and I left only 1HDD and Graphics card but again, the CPU cooler tried to move but..nothing happend.
    If i disconected GPU PC start normally.
    Do I really need more PSU?
    if yes can someone tell who own this card which PSu he is using now?
    Sorry for my poor english , Im Czech guy....
    Any suggestion? please?

12. cenaurus

cenaurus Member Guru

GPU:
    7800+ 500/1400
    1.5v is the Bios volts to the card . The card ajusts the volts to the core [ 1.2v ]if you voltmod the card to feeds it 1.4v to the core so you can overclock the core/mem higher.

13. cenaurus

cenaurus Member Guru

GPU:
    7800+ 500/1400
    I bet you have P4 s478
    1a) PSU with 20+ amps
    1) update drivers for the mobo
    2) put the 2x molex plugs on two different +12v rails
    3)NO overclocking

14. Liverboy

Liverboy New Member

sorry I forget my PC
    P4 3.0GHZ( default- I took back my Oc from 3.8Ghz)
    P4P800-e dx.
    28512mb 400mhz kingstone
    Hiper Type R 480W
    But also I found now something weird fo me.
    http://forum.pctuning.cz/gallery/albums/userpics/20951/normal_DSCF0619~0.JPG

On this picture you can see the graphics card conector has 6pins
    http://forum.pctuning.cz/gallery/albums/userpics/20951/normal_DSCF0620~1.JPG
    But this cable, which was in the box with graphics seems to me has only 5hole the middle one has two cable in one hole
    http://forum.pctuning.cz/gallery/albums/userpics/20951/normal_DSCF0622~1.JPG

And here i found the same cable but with 6hole.
    http://www.directron.com/6pinpcie.html

Can be that the problem?

15. DeMarki

DeMarki Master Guru

GPU:
    I also have P4 socket 478, is there any problems with those mbs?

16. iako

iako Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 580 LIGHTNING
    Dude.. how'd you do the pencil mod on your GS+... I gotta get those kind of clocks on mine man. Did you change the thermals on core and ram? I got my mem to about 1500, but the highest I got the core to go was 590 before it started showing artifacts..

17. bliss007

bliss007 Banned

GPU:
    Asus GTX 580
    Cenaurus, I know 1.5v is agp volts in bios, Im trying to tell him increasing this does nothing to OC these cards as they get power from aux plug on rear of card, twice I have said it in different ways.

18. DeMarki

DeMarki Master Guru

GPU:
    Chill out, if you do that you'll lose any warranty you have and there is always a possibility the card will be wasted. Do you believe it's worth risking losing 400 euros for a couple of more framerates?
    For God's sake this card already runs everything even without extra tweaking!

Can anyone please tell me if this card is compatible with P4 478 socket motherboards, or if there is anything I must do when I get it?

19. Liverboy

Liverboy New Member

guys please can anyone check that foto and tell if i need to go shop and buy another cable or something else? please?

20. Liverboy

Liverboy New Member

so someone here said i need 20a on 12v
    I have 2 12V1+ one has 18a and 12V2+16a
    Do I need buy another PSU? with 20a on 12V+?:frown: