The Intel CPU is Dead says NVIDIA VP

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Apr 26, 2008.

1. isidore

isidore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    yeah i'm surprised this VP says this bullcrap..because if it wasn't for intel's cpu's the nvidia 8800 and 9800 series would never run at full capacity...anyway, we will always need fast cpu's..

2. metaltoiletry

metaltoiletry Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX HD5870
    I'm starting to feel bad for Intel, it's almost like they've been outcast by everyone. ATI no longer needs Intel because AMD owns them, Apple went and bought their own processor company, Nvidia has teamed up with VIA and seems to hate Intel. It is beginning to look like Intel is screwed for the future.

3. Joey

Joey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2600XT + Panasonic S10
    Getting a bit ahead of yourself there... "just a little" ;)

Apple purchased a fabless, $200 Million company of ARM chip designers. Considering all their little devices run off those chips, and that isn't a massive amount of cash for Apple, it's probably not a crazy town sign they are going to back away from x86. I would say Intel probably didn't call a crisis meeting.

Nvidia and Intel are in a little verbal slanging match because they essentially "need" each other and nether probably likes that very much. They are punching and kicking now.... but in a short while, Nvidia will stop trying to make Intel jealous with Via and throw that tiddler away. Then they will find themselves laying on each other, on the ground, all dirty; they'll lock eye contact and then start smooching and... you get the idea.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2008
  4. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra

5. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    LOL! Amazingly well put. Kudos on the epic cliche.

6. Kow

Kow Maha Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 5850
    I guess the CPU is going to be replaced by some invisible force that will do arithmetic calculations?

7. klambre

klambre Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870@ stock
    I think that nvidia is truly afraid of ATI-AMD combo, that is why they kicking to Intel, a possible bottleneck of their CPUs in a near future can be dangerous.

Already nvidia done first step with comunication direct GPU-CPU in 790i chipset, is time to Intel and their eigth core architecture.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2008
  8. Fallen.cz

Fallen.cz Member

GPU:
    2* ASUS 8800GTX SLi
    Nvidia, Intel and AMD

Nvidia speaks from the position of strenght. They make tons of money. Their Geforce 8800 line won a product of the year, which in itself is amazing considering that its pretty user specific (most ppl are good just with some integrated graphics cos they are not in love with stunning PC graphics).

Furthermore the success of the 8800 (which in fact is a 2 year old core at least performance wise) surely made them throw loads of money on research of new cores, company like Nvidia isnt stupid and the management surely knows that eventhough 8800 were (and still are) totally amazing piece of hardware its not gonna last for eternity. Therefore i am pretty sure their brand new cores will be pretty good (talking GT200, former G100 or whatever you want to call it). Of course we dont know any official or otherwise confirmed specs of the core, but i think its wise to expect that it will be at least +80%-100% of the 8800GTX performance wise. Its true however that if ATi doesnt release their own competitive cores it wont make Nvidia unveil its new core ... G92 and G80 are still kicking in the premier league you see.

This is why Nvidia can speak from the position of strenght. GPUs and GPUs only are holding back the performance of desktop PCs. Look at modern CPUs ... with some quad core say Q6600 you can virtually get the same ingame framerate as with the best QX9770. There of course is some difference but only marginal (even at stock clocks). Furthermore Q6600 can be easily overclocked and the clock difference after OC will be even smaller (with the same cooler). For these reasons its totally not worth it buying "TOP of the line" CPU. because for additional 1000$ you get +1-5% ingame performance. On the other hand if you bought a second GPU for the money saved you would get at least +50% boost and in XHD resolutions (1920*1200 and 2560*1600) the performance boost would be a lot closer to like 80-100%.

9. Fallen.cz

Fallen.cz Member

GPU:
    2* ASUS 8800GTX SLi
    On the other hand look at AMD-ATi they are in red numbers for quite some time now. They can of course borrow money ... its not a problem for such a large company, but when you are in red numbers it can be a lot more expensive.
    They retaliated a bit with 3870 and 3870X2, but that one is "on par" with 8800GTX. Unless they come with some stunning new core on either CPU or GPU market or both they wont make it in the long shot. Or at least they wont stay in the premier league (which is the most lucrative market tbh, where crazy ppl like you and me and willing to spend thousands of dollars on the latest and the best performing products).

The best scenario for end customer: Very close performance and price of products on both Nvidia - ATi market and Intel - AMD market.

10. PFX_79

PFX_79 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 7800GTX 256mb
    Ok...Just in case no one else noticed. Shame on you Guru3d for posting something that came from that sack of trash, worthless site. Why anyone in their right mind would believe something that came from the Inquirer, God only knows.

11. MrBozack

MrBozack Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7850OC Windforce
    I think you're all wrong. I pulled the CPU out of my motherboard and I'm still browsing this forum.

My Geforce 4 MX440 also dries dishes.

12. Xendance

Xendance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    :palmface:

VIA inquirer, not from.

13. Kow

Kow Maha Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 5850
    Personally, I don't think NVIDIA is scared of ATI-AMD. They're scared of Intel's domination of the embedded low to mid-end video chip market. Yes, NVIDIA is dominating the high-end video market but that is not where the money is being made. The money is being made where Intel is dominating. Props to Intel for recognizing a LONG time ago where the money is at.

14. Crossfire

Crossfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 4670
    The CPU is used to power other things faster though; example, Folding@Home. :D

15. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra

16. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    Wow, interesting article. It's great to see such a high up knowing what he is talking about and not coming across like an ass.

17. JPennStar

JPennStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7970M
    This guy is an ass hat.

Intel is where they want to be, the TOP. Their chips are top dog right now and they are continuing a steady climb, leaving AMD far behind. Nvidia is the one who is scared because if Intel really wanted to put the screws to Nvidia it wouldn't take a lot of effort considering the vast wealth of their fabs. I think this is the case because Nvidia (scared) was the first one to come out fighting.

Plus, unless the entire computer is to be redesigned tomorrow, CPUs are absolutely necessary for a good while coming. The CPU is the central processor meaning important. geez. A faster and more efficient CPU is always necessary as software demands increase. Even if it wasn't I'm sure Intel could figure out a way to remarket the same thing. Nvidia does it all the time.

18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I still think most of you miss what he's saying. He isn't saying there won't be a CPU in future computers, he saying the market for faster CPU's is dead.

The most demanding and complex software now in days barely even taxes the CPU as is. The general population, AKA 99% of the world don't run 3D rendering applications, or play games like crysis. They type papers on Microsoft Office, and look up stocks on the internet. Neither of these require anything more advanced than what's on the market today.

Intel is moving into the graphics market. AMD saw this coming as well, why do you think they bought ATi? Both CPU companies know that the market for faster CPU's is coming to an end. Unless they open up the possibilities of the CPU (by allowing it to do graphics as well) they are screwed.

And of course Nvidia is scared of this, previously their only competition was ATi, now they have a company 20 times the size stepping into the ring. Intel looks to be out for blood too, they haven't been holding anything back against AMD, and they are probably going to do the same for nvidia.

19. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    How does Nvidia do it all the time? They die shrink their cores and release a new chip. Intel has been doing this for 3 years now, it's called the "Tick-Tock" strategy, Intel basically created it.

20. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro Staff Member

GPU:
    -
    I think Nvidia should start designing CPUs, it would be good to have another competitor in the market.